Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Now my Wife Wants to Do it!

RacerX1166

So, I'm all prepared to gracefully back away from the sport for awhile and was looking forward to shooting Summer Blast as my last big match for quite some time. My wife decided to accompany me to help out and provide moral support (which helped since I shot this one better than any other big match to date).

So, we're sitting at dinner tonight and she tells me that, while she enjoyed coming to the match, she was jealous that I got to shoot and she didn't. Furthermore, she would like to start shooting with me and participate in the sport :surprise:

I knew she enjoyed shooting my open gun just a bit too much....

Makes vacation planning easier. This year the wife and I are doing Area 2 as our vacation,

last year it was Nationals.

You can get that bulk discount on powder/bullets etc., as you are going to be reloading twice as much.

Racer,

Consider yourself lucky! I wish my wife even liked guns at all! She grew up in a shooting sports family( hunting, clays) and yet has no desire to even look at a gun let alone fire one. I went to shoot sporting clays with her once many years ago and she is quite good even, but alas has no desire for the sport.

Down side I hear from men in your position is very few shooting wives reload. Is she going to clean her gun or are you? Yeah, I guess I would have eventually posted in the What I Hate forum too! :goof:

JZ

Racer,

Consider yourself lucky! I wish my wife even liked guns at all! She grew up in a shooting sports family( hunting, clays) and yet has no desire to even look at a gun let alone fire one. I went to shoot sporting clays with her once many years ago and she is quite good even, but alas has no desire for the sport.

Down side I hear from men in your position is very few shooting wives reload. Is she going to clean her gun or are you? Yeah, I guess I would have eventually posted in the What I Hate forum too! :goof:

JZ

I guess I would be a bit more excited if I wasn't planning on taking a bunch of time off from IPSC. She's never given me grief about the time I've spent on the sport and actually encouraged me so I'm pretty lucky already.

Oooh, the whole gun cleaning reloading issue just sent chills down my spine. I'm pretty anal about my reloading/cleaning area as well as (obviously) the loading itself. My wife is not so detail oriented so I'm not sure I even want her to try those tasks.

Perhaps we'll have to share what goes into the prep for the sport and see if she's still as excited. Come to think of it, my Open gun needs to be cleaned from shooting Summer Blast.

Yeah, your first mistake was letting her shoot the Open gun! After I got my first "taste"... it was hands down, open division!

Naw, I think you guys will enjoy it together...I think its cool seeing couples who shoot. I love the fact that my boyfriend and I do. Makes it so much more fun.

And I do clean my own gun & reload my own ammo as well....on occasion his ammo too :P

Racer,

I am transitioning from cowboy action to USPSA and the most noticeable thing is the lack of lady shooters. That your wife wants to come with you and shoot, what could be better. Just pick up another open gun don't let your ego get in the way and enjoy. The sport will benefit and you two will have a ton of fun.

Dude, You should have never brought her over to sit with us at Summer Blast. That's where she realized the social aspect of the sport. You're done now. There are just too many nice people shooting. Just start looking for another gun.

Besides, you will get to spend more time with the wife on weekends now :rolleyes::roflol:

I think that is pretty cool! But let's not forget the first rule of gun safety....NEVER ARM THE WIFE!

I wish I could get my better half to do it.......shoot that is. :lol:

Yeah apperently I missed that memo. Now I get reminded that no man has ever been shot by his wife while he was doing the dishes. Someone help me :ph34r:

Well, I guess I'm in this sport for another year (darn). The wife wants to shoot and I'm pretty much ready to cave because it's a fun sport and the people you get to spend time with are some of the finest you'll meet through such a competitive activity. She got to see that too, as SA mentioned. (don't be so nice to her next time!)

So, I'm debating whether to buy her a 9mm production Glock setup and let her start on that before handing her an open gun or whether to just buy a used 'starter' open gun so I'm loading a ton of only one caliber. The downside to the latter is that there don't seem to be a lot of low priced short Supers floating around so I'd likely be running two loads. The number I've got in my head is $2k max for the gun. Darned if I didn't just sell my other rig that would have worked well for her.

At the risk of sounding selfish, I'm in such a groove right now coming off of a great (for me) Summer Blast, that, if I stay, I really want to stay in Open. I took a break a few years back and it's taken me until now to get to where I left off so I'd prefer to ride this wave.

I'm open to suggestions on equipment from those that have been there. My wife has very little shooting experience other than a few hundred rounds with me. Weight and recoil are particularly sensitive issues since my wife is petite and is a double amputee (she lost both legs below the knee). Those who have met her know that she moves around quite well but I'm concerned about insuring her stability.

Sean, I think a 9mm production would be in order. The recoil is very manageable and the gun will be lighter, less likely to mess with her balance while moving. I would recommend she try out a couple of different guns. Take her to the F-berg match, south chester, and york and have her try out some of the guy's guns. Brett and Jeff shoot M&Ps, Rob and Paul are shooting Glocks and there are a few CZ's and XD's floating around. Have her try out all the different types and then get her what fits her. I would suspect the M&P will fit pretty well. I have yet to find a female that didn't like the smaller grip and the trigger length.

If she likes the M&P pick up a 9L (it's lighter than the pro) and send it to Dan Burwell for a trigger job and some sights.

Congrats dude, in the long run an absolutely great thing. Ms. Neomet is right on the cusp of her first match. She has been shooting about a year off and on and has shot pretty much every weekend since we moved to AZ with her 9mm 1911. She has come to the last three Tuesday Night Steel matches and just started shooting my Limited gun (CZ TS) which she likes more plus it carries 20 instead of 9 which makes her feel more comfortable as her accuracy is still improving. I'm betting she will shoot her first match in a couple weeks. Either way she loves to shoot and come to the matches so I'm a happy camper.

On the other hand she keeps looking at my Open gun with a certain lust in her eyes. :P

Well, I guess I'm in this sport for another year (darn). The wife wants to shoot and I'm pretty much ready to cave because it's a fun sport and the people you get to spend time with are some of the finest you'll meet through such a competitive activity. She got to see that too, as SA mentioned. (don't be so nice to her next time!)

So, I'm debating whether to buy her a 9mm production Glock setup and let her start on that before handing her an open gun or whether to just buy a used 'starter' open gun so I'm loading a ton of only one caliber. The downside to the latter is that there don't seem to be a lot of low priced short Supers floating around so I'd likely be running two loads. The number I've got in my head is $2k max for the gun. Darned if I didn't just sell my other rig that would have worked well for her.

At the risk of sounding selfish, I'm in such a groove right now coming off of a great (for me) Summer Blast, that, if I stay, I really want to stay in Open. I took a break a few years back and it's taken me until now to get to where I left off so I'd prefer to ride this wave.

I'm open to suggestions on equipment from those that have been there. My wife has very little shooting experience other than a few hundred rounds with me. Weight and recoil are particularly sensitive issues since my wife is petite and is a double amputee (she lost both legs below the knee). Those who have met her know that she moves around quite well but I'm concerned about insuring her stability.

Buy the open gun. Buy the open gun. Buy the open gun.

My rat bastard husband made me shoot iron sights for almost 10 years - I damn near killed him when he gave me an open gun for torturing me for so long!