Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you do your reload on your 625?

dagz

There are a couple of threads on this already, but here's what I do.

Fire the last shot, push the cylinder release with the left thumb, push out the cylinder with the trigger finger.

Left index finger ejects the empty moon clip and reaches down to the speedy-rack and grabs another moon.

Throw the new moon in, and close with left hand, re-acquire grip and keep on shooting.

Hope this helps.

Biggest thing is try it different ways and find what is comfortable for you.

PAT

Usually after I try to get the 7th or 8th shot off. :-)

It appears that I am going full circle.

I started out do a strong hand reload. I tried doing weak hand but the timer says I am faster strong hand so I am going back to that.

After I fire my last shot. I hit the ejector with my right thumb as I rotate my left hand around and with the middle and ring finger on my left hand push them through the cylinder window opening the cylinder. Then with my left thumb hit the ejector rod. With my right hand I reach for a fresh moon clip. After I eject the spent moon I rotate the gun back down to my belt throw in the fresh moon clip close it with my left thumb while I reaquire my grip with my right hand and go back to shooting/

Do a search 'cause there are two main methods or religions when it comes to revolver reloads.

If you are a lefty you will do a border shift reload(release and reacquire) - that's the choice.

If your gun hand is on the right side there are two choices.

One requires you to release your shooting grip and reacquire after reloading. In the other you keep your shooting grip and reload with your free hand.

One can be a real DQ hazard when reloading if moving from right to left.

Preference , consistency, and time are the issues..

It comes down to the clock. Whichever method takes you under 2 seconds to shoot-reload-shoot consistently, that is the way to go.

Really, do a search on this one. A bit of blood has been spilled on this.....

I reload the slower way for me, but the smoother way, weak hand. It's going against 30+ years of strong hand reloads, but I seem to do it more consistently. Smoother and hopefully faster in the long run.

Please give some inputs on your preferred manner of doing your reload.

I am a revo rookie and am wanting to learn.

Thank you in advance.

-dagz

Which ever method, use your eyes, look at the cylinder release, look at the ejector rod, look at your new moon clip, grab the new moon with your pointer finger between two bullets, look at the triangle on the edge of the cylinder just between two holes and aim your finger at it. Constistance was a real problem until I stared doing this. Good Luck and lots of practice James.

Thank you in advance.

-dagz

Which ever method, use your eyes, look at the cylinder release, look at the ejector rod, look at your new moon clip, grab the new moon with your pointer finger between two bullets, look at the triangle on the edge of the cylinder just between two holes and aim your finger at it. Constistance was a real problem until I stared doing this. Good Luck and lots of practice James.

That is some really good advice from James. I might even boil it down even further: Use your eyes and watch your hand grab the moonclip and put it in the gun. Everything else is gravy.

I switch the gun to the left hand, at the same time thumbing the latch, cradle the cylinder between the thumb and index finger/middle finger combo, eject with the left thumb at the same time grabbing another moonclip, drop in, close cylinder as I'm aquiring the grip also punching forward - that's the way I've been doing it for 20+ years. I'm comfortable with it. I did try the left hand reload but it wasn't as smooth and definately slower for me.

I'm not saying my way is the right right way but try both.

Remember - SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST!

Now that my 625-8 has arrived, I will start to try both styles and see what works.

Excellent plan. Both ways can work extremely well, figure out which is best for you. And, actually, there may be times when it benefits you to know both techniques.

I do both "techniques" the "Jerry" way and the "Left Coast" way !!! :roflol:

I'm right handed Btw.

For me, the "Jerry" way is preferred, but I use the other when I have to move left and reloading when I can.

Try them both. You will find one that "just feels better" and get it down to doing it without even thinking about it. AND learn the other way "Just in Case" :cheers:

Hop

I've shot with 1911's competively since 1978, yet the switch hands reload seems more comfortable to me. I know it's faster for pure speed, but to get an "A" on a difficult target the same hands method is more consistent and therefor I feel faster.

I've tried both, even used both in the same match pretty seamlessly. Yet I always seem to fall back into the switch hands.

If you have trouble with acquiring your grip at any time, or feel rushed getting a sight picture due to the feeling of the gun bobbling after a reload. Then the same hands method may help immensly.

If you shoot a lot of auto's, or go back and forth, you may want to use the same hands also.

If you want to look cool, be like Mike and them others and use the same hands method. Using the switch hands we all look slow compared to JM.

I started out doing the switch style, a few months ago I decided to learn the "other way". Now I like the other way better. Clocks right at 2 seconds shot to shot, but I'm working on it. Looks like this.

Edited by nashvillebill

I started out doing the switch style, a few months ago I decided to learn the "other way". Now I like the other way better. Clocks right at 2 seconds shot to shot, but I'm working on it. Looks like this.

I'm new here and pretty knew to revolver shooting. That is a great video Nashvillebill. I never really understood the support hand reload until now. Thanks.

nashvillebill, just had to comment on your video OUTSTANDING :cheers: . those reloads appear to be a tad under 2 seconds. great job Hope to meet you at the range some day. Later rdd

Thank you for the video.

Ditto.

I started out trying the switch style and couldn't get it right consistently enough for my taste, so I tried this way. The video shows how fast it can be done :surprise: , and it seems to be more consistent for me. Now to figure out how you do it that fast.

Thank you in advance.

-dagz

And if you can't see the new moonclips? I just know that they're down there some where.:devil:

i broke the crystal in my rolex leaning to do reloads in my 625. costly lesson, 536$. i wear the watch "up side down" to most people. my biggest problem with the reload is getting the bullets to line up with the holes in the cylinder. seems every time i have to make an adjustment to get the reload in.