Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas Pump Etiquette

G-ManBart

It's about 11AM and I stop to fill up at a local convenience store that has 16 pumps. Every single pump has a car using it, okay, no biggie. I pull behind a car that's been there a while, the guy finishes, takes his receipt out of the pump and then proceeds to lock his car and walk into the store. WTF? The place is packed, I'm ten feet behind him and he just acts like everyone in the world has all day and he's more important than everyone else. So, I look around and see that at least five or six other pumps are occupied by cars with no drivers present. The guy on the other side of my bozo's car comes slowly walking out of the store, gets in, talks to his dogs in the back seat, opens his bag and starts pulling lunch out and I'm ready to send hot lead in his direction (since the dogs were there and looked like nice pooches I maintained my composure)....all while cars are waiting for these A-holes to move on.

WTF is wrong with people? If half the pumps were open I can see locking the car and running in to grab something since nobody would be forced to wait, but this was different. In fact, some of the same cars were still parked there after I pumped my gas, parked by the store, ordered a sandwhich, paid and came back outside. I just can't stand how people think the world revolves around them and they simply don't give a damn about anybody but themselves. It's like the people that run the red turn arrows and force four lines of traffic to wait for them....no, no, you're obviously more important than the rest of us, so you go right ahead and do whatever you feel like. :angry:

I'm with you on this one Gman. It drives me crazy, and I normally have my window down and am really laying it to them while they walk back to their car. Oh yeah, my wife loves it when I do that :ph34r:

Get ready for some potential changes in the way we pay for gas .......... I read an article yesterday that said some stations are experimenting with NOT ACCEPTING CREDIT CARDS anymore. :surprise:

They claim that the 2% they pay the credit card companies is eating up their profits. So be prepared to pay cash & go inside .... just like the old days! :angry:

So much for advancements in technology.

Get ready for some potential changes in the way we pay for gas .......... I read an article yesterday that said some stations are experimenting with NOT ACCEPTING CREDIT CARDS anymore. :surprise:

They claim that the 2% they pay the credit card companies is eating up their profits. So be prepared to pay cash & go inside .... just like the old days! :angry:

Not sure if I get that one. Isn't 2%...... 2% ?, regardless of amount? Its built into their price already. Thats why some give a discount for cash, or if you use their "in house" card. Sounds like an excuse to make MORE profit. :angry2:

Not sure if I get that one. Isn't 2%...... 2% ?, regardless of amount? Its built into their price already. Thats why some give a discount for cash, or if you use their "in house" card. Sounds like an excuse to make MORE profit. :angry2:

I don't recall the details, but I read a similar story. They said that the percentages can go up as the total amount goes up, but it depends on the company. With bigger vehicles now getting to the point where a full tank costs $100, they're seeing increased card usage fees. They're normally only making a few cents on the gallon to start with and these fees can make them actually lose money on a sale....amazing.

Edited by G-ManBart

They're normally only making a few cents on the gallon to start with and these fees can make them actually lose money on a sale....amazing.

That's exactly what I read. (right or wrong)

http://www.semissourian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...INESS/612971227

also here:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/search?p...it+cards&c=

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

"We have always contended that it doesn't cost Visa and MasterCard any more to process a $1,000 transaction than it does a $100 transaction," said J. Craig Shearman, vice president of government affairs at the retail federation.

They do have a point here, but after all ... that's what capitalism is built upon.

So, to recap for those keeping score:

Credit Card Companies: Making More Money

Foreign and US Oil Companies: Making BIG Money

Foreign Oil Producers making barrels of Oil for $3 per barrel: Making BIG BIG BIG Money

American Gas Stations: Losing money?

Repeat after me: Our economy is just fine, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Go back to sleep. :wacko:

BTW, I saw a lady unpack her brood from a car she was pumping gas into the other day... and take them into sit down lunch at the Arby's, on site. Left her car at the pump. <_<

It does piss one off when it appears the dipstick at the pump is just an idiot or even worse being a deliberate jerk - Does not bother me near as much as when the guy comes out of the store and goes to the car like he has somewhere to go and gets out on of the way..... and..... At a busy station if you leave the gas pump you might have a problem finding another place to park... ?

.... just like the old days! :angry:

Just like the old days...when they pumped your gas, asked to check your oil, maybe clean your windshield??? Check your tire pressure for you - naw now they charge $.75 for air :mellow:

I'm waiting for the good ole days... <_<

I have a friend that own's a small gas station franchise. He is limited to $.08 mark up/profit per gallion of gas.

So on a purchase of 22 gallons of gas at $4.00 per gallon he makes $1.76, now figure in the credit card fee for that purchase (22gal @ 4.00= 88.00 x 3%) of $2.64 he has lost $.88 on that transaction. This will only get worse as gas goes up in price. We will be seeing more and more small gas stations closing or stop accepting credit cards.

Credit card companies do not usually allow merchants to do this. It is built into their contracts.

As far as most consumers are concerned, credit cards are free. Actually, they are somewhat expensive to accept. <_<

YOU HAVE GOT TO GET OUT OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA BEFORE YOU HURT SOMEONE!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

LOL....and just think, I have a 3min commute while I'm hear! It was way worse when I had to cross the bridge from MD and spent an hour and a half each day fighting homicidal road rage urges :devil:

I have a friend that own's a small gas station franchise. He is limited to $.08 mark up/profit per gallion of gas.

So on a purchase of 22 gallons of gas at $4.00 per gallon he makes $1.76, now figure in the credit card fee for that purchase (22gal @ 4.00= 88.00 x 3%) of $2.64 he has lost $.88 on that transaction. This will only get worse as gas goes up in price. We will be seeing more and more small gas stations closing or stop accepting credit cards.

Even at 2% cc fees, they are breaking even on the sale, but it takes electricity, and labor to run a gas station, so it's still a loss.

Credit card companies do not usually allow merchants to do this. It is built into their contracts.

Ben, feel free to click on the links I provided. I am not making this stuff up. Only Mastercard seems to have a cap on their fees for any gas sales over $50. So if a consumer only puts $20 or $30 in their tank the station still loses.

This happened to me in AZ about three weeks ago!! No joke!! I couldn't figure out what was going on with the pump so I went inside to ask and the gal told me they only accept debit cards!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!! Talk about crappy customer service!!!

Adios,

TG