Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Parking

G-ManBart

Okay, this frosts my @ss. No, it's not politically correct and I'm sure it will alienate some parents out there, but I'll take that risk :sight:

I completely support handicapped parking and get really annoyed when I see it abused, but now we've got other "special" groups. Pretty soon everyone is going to need a special parking spot up front and then it really won't help the people that need it.

First off, is there such a thing as "Parents without Children"? I know what they're saying, but it still comes off looking stupid. Second, if the little ones are really little, you're not carrying them, so it's not a huge deal to push the stroller from the "normal" parking. Most Americans can use the extra exercise anyway, so this is a win-win situation. Lastly, if the little ones are old enough to be under their own power, it's not likely that walking a hundred feet to the store is going to do them any harm.

How did we ever survive with out all these special privelages for everyone in the past? :o

For those that would suggest this is a safety issue for women with children I'll add a couple of thoughts...not that anyone would rebut here, of course. First, suggesting that special parking spaces are the cure for predatory behavior on women with children is like suggesting gun control is a cure for murder. It's just faulty logic. Second, I saw this at a Target with a huge parking lot and maybe half a dozen of these spots. So only the first half dozen women with children are worth protecting and the rest will just have to take their chances? Again, bad logic.

Edited by G-ManBart

Okay, this frosts my @ss. No, it's not politically correct and I'm sure it will alienate some parents out there, but I'll take that risk :sight:

I completely support handicapped parking and get really annoyed when I see it abused, but now we've got other "special" groups. Pretty soon everyone is going to need a special parking spot up front and then it really won't help the people that need it.

First off, is there such a thing as "Parents without Children"? I know what they're saying, but it still comes off looking stupid. Second, if the little ones are really little, you're not carrying them, so it's not a huge deal to push the stroller from the "normal" parking. Most Americans can use the extra exercise anyway, so this is a win-win situation. Lastly, if the little ones are old enough to be under their own power, it's not likely that walking a hundred feet to the store is going to do them any harm.

How did we ever survive with out all these special privelages for everyone in the past? :o

I agree. The only special spots required are Handicap and noticably Pregnant Women.

It rots my socks that some people with h/c stickers are in better shape that me. I don't have one, but my wife did for the last 3 months of her life, and I NEVER abused the system. I know people that do and I give them sh*t for doing so.

You should try an Army base half the frikking base is reserved parking, somehow I just cant picture Colin Powell pushing a shopping cart up and down the isles at the commisarry, Most of the time it's a kid in daddy's car using those spots. Parent parking doesnt have force of law unless the owners specifically tell you to leave then you'd be tresspassing, but I would go out of may way to park in non Handicapped reserved spots.

Haven't seen the parents with children parking, but I'll bet it works to draw in the soccer moms. We have 'senior citizen' parking here, if you are retired you have all damn day to do your errands.......

I haven't seen that but I don't doubt it. People with kids aren't special, they are normal. Deal with it.

I'm also sick of people I know with babies who leave them with the grand parents to go shopping or run errands. IT IS YOUR CHILD, TAKE IT WITH YOU like the rest of us did. So may new parents I know push thier children off on others so they can go out. If you didn't want to deal with kids them why did you have them?

What ever happened to treating everyone as equals?

And to and to this rant: I hate poorly marked handicapped parking spaces. I don't mind handicapped spots as long as they are used properly, but I HATE when one is poorly marked (paint on the ground has worn away and the sign is 7 feet away from the space. I parked in such a space at a stop and rob. 2 mins later as I try to leave, but parking enforcement is there giving me a ticket. $200 I probably could have fought it since the signs were so poorly done but The officer could have used a little common sense.

I'm going to add my 2cents to this one.

Parking lots in generall really piss me off around here. There is a shortage of land near the main roads that is zoned for commercial use. As a result, they use the absolute smallest spaces possible and the smallest driving lanes possible.

There is barely enough room to shoe-horn myself in/out of the car, let alone room for me to hold the door so the kids don't ding the next car.

OH, and just because I drive a little narrow car, doesn't give you jerks with the F-850 king-cab with dualies and a 5 ton bed the right to use half my space!! If you insist on driving that monstrosity, the least you could do is park it in those three spaces out where no one else needs them.

Here's another one.

Reserved spaces for "Employee of the ________"(Fill in the blank). They're usually the spaces just on the other side of handicaped. Screw that. If it wasn't for customers they wouldn't have any employees at all. That's the space that I have no problem parking in. I'm just waiting for the day Mr. Manager or the actual "Employee of the ________"

(Fill in the blank) comes up to me and say's I can't park there because employee John did such a fine job of re-stocking the shelves or sweeping the floor that he now has his own reserved parking spot.

O.K. I'm better now.

:ph34r:

Its pretty simple

Whenever you give a special privelege to ANYONE ...someone else will be hurt by it.

In the case of elderly or handycaped we are more than happy to comply .

This is just a case of bleeding heartism gone wrong....AGAIN <_<

Jim

I think somebody needs a weekend back in NM for a conjugal visit! :P

LMAO....heck yeah, but I'd still have plenty of stuff to rant about....it's sorta my thing.

At least I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this sort of thinking and I hadn't thought about it before, but I'm definitely annoyed by poorly marked handicapped spaces. Most of us would agree they're for a good cause and when they're not marked properly they get used by 17yr old kids who think they got lucky with the space up front.

My favorite is watching someone circle the lot over and over looking for a spot close to the entrance and when they get out they have...

WORKOUT GEAR ON!

You mean to tell me you walked on a treadmill to go nowhere for 30 minutes but you won't walk an extra couple feet to get somewhere? WTF?

My all-time favorite was watching a woman in workout clothes park in a handicapped spot (she did have a placard) and get out and walk to the tennis court. When I stopped her and asked why she parked in a handicapped spot when she is capable of exercising she told me: "I have a placard because my feet hurt after prolonged physical exertion."

Guess what, so do mine after I jog a couple miles, and so does everyone else's!

I saw the same thing when I was a recruiter and frequently had business in a local indoor mall, The stores were all closed but the "Mall" was open. So there was some kinda mall walkers club in the early morning, and you guessed it half of them parked in the handicap spot and then went in and speed walked laps around the mall.

Ultimately its all the same overly sensitive, politically correct nonsense that's murdering america. Slowly but surely the metropolitan masses are losing their little bit of remaining spine....

I haven't seen that but I don't doubt it. People with kids aren't special, they are normal. Deal with it.

I'm also sick of people I know with babies who leave them with the grand parents to go shopping or run errands. IT IS YOUR CHILD, TAKE IT WITH YOU like the rest of us did. So may new parents I know push thier children off on others so they can go out. If you didn't want to deal with kids them why did you have them?

AMEN! I get so sick and tired of hearing people complain about how hard it is with kids. Well, duh, I coulda told you that, it's why I decided not to have any. And if I did have them, I'd shut up about it. Then again, maybe if they trained the crumbsnatchers so they were fit to be around, they'd enjoy 'em more.

AMEN! I get so sick and tired of hearing people complain about how hard it is with kids. Well, duh, I coulda told you that, it's why I decided not to have any.

:huh: Then you just don't know.

Edited by Nemo

I kind of like the people who drive around endlessly looking for a close parking spot. I go park at the end of the row of cars that they just passed and walk in. Half the time I walk past them as they are doing another circuit, still looking for a spot.

I work at a retail store and a very attractive mom in her workout suit had 8 and 5 year old boys with her. She wanted help to her car (nice SUV) and lo and behold she had a handicap permit. I looked at her and she knew what I was thinking. Some people. :angry2:

I understand exactly what you are saying, I support the handicap parking spots and the pregnant women parking spaces. I hate to say it Back in october I broke my right ankle and had 8 screws and a plate put it in. I had the handi spot tag for 3 months and the worst part of it for me was having to use the little motor scooter in walmart to get around. Damn those things are big when your on crutches.

Kevin

I work at a retail store and a very attractive mom in her workout suit had 8 and 5 year old boys with her. She wanted help to her car (nice SUV) and lo and behold she had a handicap permit. I looked at her and she knew what I was thinking. Some people. :angry2:

In those cases, the handicap permit belongs to either (a) a dead relative or (B) someone in the household who is handicap but rarely drives, so the other family members feel free to use the permit.