Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 Case Stuck

I stuck a .223 case in a Size die, dumb mistake, I forgot to put the neck (ony) sizer in, and didn't have any lube on the case.

My plan is to take the decapper out, then tap the case out.. but I can't get the decapper out. Any trick here?

post-2785-1212693901.jpg

Edited by BerKim

I stuck a .223 case in a Size die, dumb mistake, I forgot to put the neck (ony) sizer in, and didn't have any lube on the case.

My plan is to take the decapper out, then tap the case out.. but I can't get the decapper out. Any trick here?

Drill and tap the bottom of the case for a 1/4-20, then pull the case out. You can't get the decapper out, because the neck is compressed.

You need a "Stuck Case Remover" kit. Call Dillon. When I stuck a case the other day they sent me a new upper assembly for my die because they said I probably bent my old one. I already had the kit and removed the stuck case. Dillon will take care of you but you won't be loading any 223 for a couple of days.

Dan - thanks - wasn't even thinking about that, explanis why i couldn't pull it out - lol

To drill/tap the case.. I'm guessing you'd want to drill/tap the flash hole, to get into the main part of the case?

The decapper pin won't go back into the case that far. Or do you try to break off the pin, to get it out of the way.

Quoted from http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=stuck+case

Nolan says:

Drill and tap the stuck case with a 1/4-20 thread. Take a small 1/4 inch drive socket wrench (3/8 or 7/16?) that just fits over the stuck case and bears against the die. Thread the 1/4-20 bolt through the socket into the case and tighten until it pops out.

Another option.. the decapper rod, is 2 peices.

I may ruin the rod, but it should bang out this way? Just put a small pin punch on the pin body?

If you try to knock it out with a small pin punch, you may as well just get another die. You'll proably break the punch on top of everything else. You should be able to drill it enough to tap it. The pulling out with a screw is the most reliable method.

Here are the directions from my RCBS Stuck Case Remover.

"Unscrew the expander-decapping rod until the decapping pin is free of the primer flash hole in the stuck case. Secure the reloading die in a vise and drill the case head with the #7 drill bit. Drill straight through the primer pocket and the primer flash hole. Next, tap the case head with the 1/4"-20 tap. Then place the Stuck Case Remover body onto the case head and turn the cap screw with the allen type wrench until the case is pulled from the die."

I have stuck cases twice. <_< Both times I bent/broke the decapping pin and bent the upper assembly of the die while drilling it out. The stuck case remover body is about the size of a 3/8 drive 9/16 socket and something like that could probably be substituted if you have the other stuff and didn't want to buy the kit.

I was using one shot lube when I stuck the 223 case the other day. The time before was several years ago and I don't remember what lube I was using. I stuck a 308 then. :angry2:

Hope this helps.

post-2236-1212752181.jpg

The Dillon rifle size die has a built-in stuck case remover. As per the instructions, remove the spring clip from above the jam nut, back the jam nut up as far as it can go. thread the decap assembly down until the jam nut butts against the top of die body. Hold the jam nut against the top of the die body with a wrench, and back the decap assembly up through the die, and out. Now, push the casse out of the die with a pencil or other object. Ta Da! :cheers:

The Dillon rifle size die has a built-in stuck case remover. As per the instructions, remove the spring clip from above the jam nut, back the jam nut up as far as it can go. thread the decap assembly down until the jam nut butts against the top of die body. Hold the jam nut against the top of the die body with a wrench, and back the decap assembly up through the die, and out. Now, push the casse out of the die with a pencil or other object. Ta Da! :cheers:

Beat me to it :cheers:

Happened to me three times already.

Here are the directions from my RCBS Stuck Case Remover.

"Unscrew the expander-decapping rod until the decapping pin is free of the primer flash hole in the stuck case. Secure the reloading die in a vise and drill the case head with the #7 drill bit. Drill straight through the primer pocket and the primer flash hole. Next, tap the case head with the 1/4"-20 tap. Then place the Stuck Case Remover body onto the case head and turn the cap screw with the allen type wrench until the case is pulled from the die."

I have stuck cases twice. <_< Both times I bent/broke the decapping pin and bent the upper assembly of the die while drilling it out. The stuck case remover body is about the size of a 3/8 drive 9/16 socket and something like that could probably be substituted if you have the other stuff and didn't want to buy the kit.

I was using one shot lube when I stuck the 223 case the other day. The time before was several years ago and I don't remember what lube I was using. I stuck a 308 then. :angry2:

Hope this helps.

Bill,

What type of One Shot were you using? The aerosol or the stuff in the pump bottle? I've heard horrible things about the pump bottle. I stuck a .223 case with this stuff as well. Now I own the RCBS stuck case puller.

Dick

Nice!

Thanks much, worked like a charm...

Bill,

What type of One Shot were you using? The aerosol or the stuff in the pump bottle? I've heard horrible things about the pump bottle. I stuck a .223 case with this stuff as well. Now I own the RCBS stuck case puller.

Dick

I was using Hornady One Shot in the red aerosol can. I just don't think I applied it right or didn't shake the can enough. I use One Shot on pistol cases all the time and sometimes it seems like the cases don't resize as easily as at other times even using the same can of One Shot.

I wish I had known about the Dillon stuck case remover when I stuck my last case. It would have saved me some hurtburn. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Bill,

Dick

I was using Hornady One Shot in the red aerosol can. I just don't think I applied it right or didn't shake the can enough. I use One Shot on pistol cases all the time and sometimes it seems like the cases don't resize as easily as at other times even using the same can of One Shot.

I wish I had known about the Dillon stuck case remover when I stuck my last case. It would have saved me some hurtburn. :)

I was having problems sticking 223 cases. I called RCBS and talked to the nice lady there and the first thing she asked was "are you using Hornady One Shot Lube?" I said yes. She suggested I switch to some other lube and clean out my dies. Since then, I haven't stuck a case.

• 3 years later...

Worked just as described! Now I have ammo for this weekends match. Once again thank you Dillon!

• 1 month later...

One practical easy way I have found is to use Kroil oil dripped liberally from the top of the die on the case mouth so the oil capillaries between the case and die wall.

Let stand a few minutes for oil penetration, then use a long awl, or a screw driver to tap the case out, use multiple taps vs. blows. I was pleasantly surpised when it came out after five taps.

• 5 months later...

Big props here. just stuck a case, jumped on the forum, did a search, and found this thread and in particular this bit of advice. which worked like a charm.

Thanks a million. :cheers:

• 1 year later...

Got me a stuck case. Tried this but apparently backed off the decamp assembly too far and the threads are no longer engaged. Ay suggestions?

Gotta load a shitload of 223 for the northwest multigun...so I'm in panic mode now.

• 5 months later...

What happens when the base of the .223 breaks off in the sizing die? Why would this happen? I've had three cases brake off at the base of the die - luckily had several spare dies. None of the cases had cannalures (blanks). And we're using Dillon lube - much better than One Shot! We're using a 1050 to process brass, loading on another. Thanks all!

This is great dillon engineering , now the pencil or screw driver to tap out did not work( a friend put the screwdriver through the bottom of the case..bad), best was to find a drill bit slightly smaller than the 223's neck, mine was .216, use the non cutting, flat side, slip it in the case mouth and tap slowly until the case comes out. I also use Kroil or WD40 prior to tapping.

Edited by fastarget