Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended Mag. Release

shooter757

Left Handed? Just guessing, but I am a lefty and I took the extended release out of my 34. I thought about sanding or dremeling the corners, but I can dump the mag fine with the regular release I put in. I am no expert, but I think modifying the part since it is visible from the outside of the gun might knock you out of production division.....................If thats your game.

I've rounded the extended magazine release a couple times with good results. I started with 400 grit sandpaper to get it the shape I wanted, then used 1500 grit and 2000 grit to get it smooth. Here's a pic:

IMG_5910.jpg

Left Handed? Just guessing, but I am a lefty and I took the extended release out of my 34. I thought about sanding or dremeling the corners, but I can dump the mag fine with the regular release I put in. I am no expert, but I think modifying the part since it is visible from the outside of the gun might knock you out of production division.....................If thats your game.

It does - if that is your game - although we have had some folks indicate that their skin is so rough and tough that it just naturally rounds the edges. Never does anything to the slide or grip, just that pesky little button.

It does - if that is your game - although we have had some folks indicate that their skin is so rough and tough that it just naturally rounds the edges. Never does anything to the slide or grip, just that pesky little button.

Enough table starts also help wear down the corners.

Any (Production division) button that is more worn down than mine is going to Open. ;)

useless without pics.

Here's mine. Worn from use. Good to go?

post-4205-1212435212.jpg

Edited by racerba

and here I thought it was only me that had issues with sharp mag release. :o

At what point does "wear and tear" become an illegal production modification? :unsure: :unsure:

================================

Now for a related topic.... :cheers: .....who has modified their mag release spring on the Glock?

I have found a softer mag-release helps my strong-hand stay more relaxed post-reload shots. :P

BB

and here I thought it was only me that had issues with sharp mag release. :o

At what point does "wear and tear" become an illegal production modification? :unsure: :unsure:

It becomes illegal the moment you use anything other than your skin on it - as to when it becomes noticeably illegal - depends on who is doing the inspection.

Now for a related topic.... :cheers: .....who has modified their mag release spring on the Glock?

I did it. I am a left hander and use my middle finger to work the button so it helps a lot to have it a bit softer. All you have to do is put a slight bend (about 5 degrees) in the spring a little less than half way from the end that gets inserted into the frame.

Slav

I did it. I am a left hander and use my middle finger to work the button so it helps a lot to have it a bit softer. All you have to do is put a slight bend (about 5 degrees) in the spring a little less than half way from the end that gets inserted into the frame.

Slav

I chucked mine into my Dremel and took it down with crocus paper, then polished it up with extra fine grit paper. I left one end of the spring the standard diameter by a cm or so, so that it isn't loose in the spring retaining hole (marked it so I can tell end from end). Works great. I'll post the original and final diameters when I have a chance to check my notes.

I chucked mine into my Dremel and took it down with crocus paper, then polished it up with extra fine grit paper. I left one end of the spring the standard diameter by a cm or so, so that it isn't loose in the spring retaining hole (marked it so I can tell end from end). Works great. I'll post the original and final diameters when I have a chance to check my notes.

That approach never occurred to me. I sure would like to try the result to see how it compares to the bending approach before doing all the work.

Slav

Here we go:

Original diameter of the OEM magazine release spring is 0.052". I got it down to about 0.047" along 3/4 of the length. The mags seat reliably, and drop like a rock with just a light tap (I also worked the magazine well with extra fine grit paper taped over a full magazine, and dress everything occasionally with a Plexus wipe down).

sslav: pm me your address and I'll send you a modified spring (I made two spares). You can send it back if you don't like it, or send me back your original (unbent, please) if you do.

Kevin C

Edited by kevin c

The factory extended mag release and slide stop are legal since they come stock in the 34 and are considered a factory option in the 17, 22 etc. any post/blade standard sight is legal. You can put a hogue grip sleeve or grip tape on the grip, but not the slide. Some internal improvements are legal too, but I am no expert in that area, (or any area for that matter.)

....but any "deburring", "rounding off corners", etc. of a stock G34 mag release is a definite no-no for Production, correct? I just want to be sure as I'm preparing to shoot my first Nationals. Would hate to get dinged over this issue :unsure:

....but any "deburring", "rounding off corners", etc. of a stock G34 mag release is a definite no-no for Production, correct? I just want to be sure as I'm preparing to shoot my first Nationals. Would hate to get dinged over this issue :unsure:

Correct.

However, one-eleventy-billionth of material removed from the front 2 corners (barely visible rounding) probably would never be nitpicked. Probably.

And that slight bit of rounding is all that's needed to alleviate blood blisters.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

You are correct. It is a definite no-no.

Correct.

However, one-eleventy-billionth of material removed from the front 2 corners (barely visible rounding) probably would never be nitpicked. Probably.

And that slight bit of rounding is all that's needed to alleviate blood blisters.

So by that logic, milling one eleventy-billionth off of the interior of teh slide of my production gun is as appropriate as doing the same off of my extended mag release?

Edited by vluc