Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Aluminum Grip

Joe D

I have talked to SV specifically about it, I know it is something they are pursuing but I do not know if STI is working on it or not.

I have a pretty good idea what it would take to make one (things like that are more or less what I do for my day job), both from billet and from a good investment casting. SV has not allowed to me what the target price might be or even a ball part number but I can tell you that you had better be sitting down when you ask how much one is going to cost. They are going to really cool but really really expensive too.

Billet will be for sure.......

Guess that'll keep the grip reduction/stiple/contour folks busy for quite some time. I'm not going to spend $500 for a freakin' grip!

I have heard that they possibility is they'll retool the grips and then that would allow them to retool the mags for more capacity....not sure if that's just a wild rumor or not. Maybe a triple stack mag is in the :roflol: works

If the frame doesn't change 23 isn't going to happen, not enough room between the frame sides. It is the frame and not the grip that limits capacity. CAD it out, it won't fit. If they widen the frame where the current grip screw bushings are enough they will be able to get an extra round to a round and a half in the neck of the mag, 23 is possible then. At that point the real question will be whether or not the new grip is backward compatible to the existing frames out there. The mags wouldn't be.....

Double stack double feed will run 25 or 26 and would eliminate reloading an Open gun all together aside from classifiers and standards......

I have talked to SV specifically about it, I know it is something they are pursuing but I do not know if STI is working on it or not.

I have a pretty good idea what it would take to make one (things like that are more or less what I do for my day job), both from billet and from a good investment casting. SV has not allowed to me what the target price might be or even a ball part number but I can tell you that you had better be sitting down when you ask how much one is going to cost. They are going to really cool but really really expensive too.

SV is working on it and I hope they come up with something soon. The last grip I got with and Sti frame is so out of spec it isnt funny. Mags wont drop free from it that work in every other grip I have. Never have I seen a product de-evolve as much as STI stuff is. I just handled and new edge and the frame to slide fit was loose. Every other company is out their making their product better and then you get stuff like this. I dont care what the grip costs if it is dementionally consistant then we can deal with it. It is irritating to spend 120 on a grip and the another 70 or 80 on grip treatment only to find that it is internally to small. I would expect it of a Jennings or Bryco but not sti.

Why are they working on aluminum grip frames? Is there something wrong with the plastic ones?

Maybe it is a durability issue. I am sure that over time, the aluminum will hold up a lot better. My plastic one is looks pretty worn, and I have only had it for about a year.

Hello: I was also told from SVI that they will offer a titanium grip as well. Can you imagine the cost of that one ;-) I would hope that they would investment cast the grips to keep cost down. I was also told that they will offer 3 different size grips to suit different hand sizes. Thanks, Eric

SV is working on it and I hope they come up with something soon. The last grip I got with and Sti frame is so out of spec it isnt funny. Mags wont drop free from it that work in every other grip I have. Never have I seen a product de-evolve as much as STI stuff is. I just handled and new edge and the frame to slide fit was loose. Every other company is out their making their product better and then you get stuff like this. I dont care what the grip costs if it is dementionally consistant then we can deal with it. It is irritating to spend 120 on a grip and the another 70 or 80 on grip treatment only to find that it is internally to small. I would expect it of a Jennings or Bryco but not sti.

If you're basing that on one grip and one gun, that's a pretty small sample to work with. I got a new Trojan in late '07 and the slide/frame fit was great. A friend recently bought an Edge and it was similiar. The Edge I got in Jan 06 was and is fit very nicely. I'm not saying it's not possible that they've gotten worse, but I have yet to see one of their factory guns be even remotely bad when it came to fit. I don't like some of their small parts at all (safeties come to mind) but the big stuff seems to be pretty solid stuff.

Since the grips are plastic, it's pretty hard to make them "perfect" and that means they sometimes require a little tweak to get just right, but it's usually a very small amount. I don't think they were ever advertised as being a drop-in part that never needed fitting. I've swapped grips on lots of 2011's and it's never been a big deal...a couple of minutes and they're set.

I am basing it on more than 1 grip but I just happen to have 1 myself. Either they have changed the company that perform the molding of the grip for them or the old molding die has worn in some area. I have mags that are tuned gramms mags that work perfectly and fall out with no effort of 3 other guns with older grips that are sticking in these newer grips. I know that all of their parts come with a gunsmith must fit these items notice in them, but come on, this is an injection molded part. What ever happened to QC of parts before they are sold. (I realize this is a foreign topic to most companies now days as I work for 1 of them myself) These are the little things that start to make your customers start to look for other products that will work instead of the ones they are now having to work on before they can use them. There are certain parts of the gun that should never require tweaking. It is sad as I own several STi's and sold others to friend and I am starting to see a change in the quality of the product across the board. It is this reason as the last 2 guns I purchased were from SVI instead.

scirocco,

Have you checked to see where it's rubbing? I switched grips once and found a few of my mags weren't dropping free. Turns out they were rubbing on the mag release. I just buzzed the mag release down some with the dremmel and no more probs.

Yeah, I've had that before but this grip and 1 other I have played with are tight introducing it to the magwell. And I removed the magwell to make sure it wasnt compressing the grip at the opening. The thing I have noticed is this new grip has a different feel to it like the material is slightly changed or they have started using a different type of abs. Also it doesnt matter as to which type of mag. It can be STI/SVI/SPS and they all act the same.

Edited by scirocco38s

Quick question. Unless they are making single stack grips so that I can go cheat in single stack by using an STI. Why the metal grips... I thought the whole point of the Tripp frame was to do away with the metal grip?

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Edited by caspian guy