Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two new stages up for critique

Just wanted some input on these two I thought up. Specifically the legality of the steel one. . I don't think i put it in the description, but the idea is shooting the wrong color is a procedural.

post-11285-1211488435.jpg post-11285-1211488445.jpg

The Steel stage is OUTSTANDING!!! Not sure it it is legal, as not everyone will be shooting the same stage, but VERY cool idea, makes you think in the spot so to speak.

The other looks to have promise as a future Classifier

The paper stage is eerily similar to an ICORE classifier stage. The ICORE version has 5 targets and a mandatory reload between boxes.

It has 4 paper targets per position, of course it is a reload in between!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

The paper stage is eerily similar to an ICORE classifier stage. The ICORE version has 5 targets and a mandatory reload between boxes.

http://www.icore.org/classifiers/CS-031.pdf

Wow...

I thought up my version after trying to re-create Pucker Factor from this years Single Stack Classic at our local match. I managed to line the targets up a little too tight, and lazily just moved the shooting box over a bit. But it got me thinking along those lines...

I've actually never shot ICORE or been to a match... That is quite the co-incidence.

The steel stage reminds me of a stage we shot at the FLORIDA OPEN a few years ago where you threw a 6-sided die and whatever color it landed on was the color of the poppers you shot. VERY similar to what you have here.

The problem with cards is what if someone turns over TWO cards ? Then you have a re-shoot scenario. Slows down the match a little. The dice thing is a little better in that the die can only land (theoretically) on one side not two. Also slows down the shooter who watches it and waits for it to stop rolling ... higher class shooters would engage the paper targets then watch the die for the colors, thereby not wasting any time. But your idea is cool too. Simpler.

Very nice :)

[edit to add pic]

post-4139-1211495383.jpg

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

The steel stage reminds me of a stage we shot at the FLORIDA OPEN a few years ago where you threw a 6-sided die and whatever color it landed on was the color of the poppers you shot. VERY similar to what you have here.

The problem with cards is what if someone turns over TWO cards ? Then you have a re-shoot scenario. Slows down the match a little. The dice thing is a little better in that the die can only land (theoretically) on one side not two. Also slows down the shooter who watches it and waits for it to stop rolling ... higher class shooters would engage the paper targets then watch the die for the colors, thereby not wasting any time. But your idea is cool too. Simpler.

Very nice :)

[edit to add pic]

post-4139-1211495383.jpg

My original thought was to do it with dice, but our MD thought people might complain if someone wasn't giving it a fair toss or it bounced off the table and suggested the cards.

I'll make it a procedural to flip more that one card - :roflol: I was thinking about making them 5x7 and relatively hefty to avoid problems with wind and turning over more than one.

Firstly, I like the paper one as well..nice job.

For the steel, the RO can hold a shuffled deck of cards face down, and the shooter draws one without seeing it and places it face down on the table in an outlined box that is spray painted on the table{NOT on the edge of the table.}. Only one card in play, no room for error unless the shooter gets a bit excited and slings his card.

Firstly, I like the paper one as well..nice job.

For the steel, the RO can hold a shuffled deck of cards face down, and the shooter draws one without seeing it and places it face down on the table in an outlined box that is spray painted on the table{NOT on the edge of the table.}. Only one card in play, no room for error unless the shooter gets a bit excited and slings his card.

We shot a similar type start on a stage at Dust Devil (Tucson) a couple years back. Matching paper/steel was shoot, non-matching was scored as no-shoot.

I would suggest the clipboard RO collect the card when the shooter clears the start position and can safely do so, and place it on the clipboard so it is available during scoring.

I really like both stages. I would have the RO shuffle the cards and place one on the table. Same concept, but reduces the chance of procedural problems a little. Good job!

Great idea!!!

:popcorn:

I really like both stages. I would have the RO shuffle the cards and place one on the table. Same concept, but reduces the chance of procedural problems a little. Good job!

Great idea!!!

:popcorn:

I think that's what I said already :devil::blink:

Tom Henninger at PSGC laid out a similar steel stage years ago using color. The cool trick he pulled was to write the words "red", "white", and "blue" in colors other than their own. That way when you turned over the card for "red", it was written in blue. You would be surprised at how many people shoot the wrong color! Later he tried one with colors and shapes. That was a hoot!

I like these both! Could change the first one to do weak hand after the movement, or anything. A very veratile basis for many good practice problems.

Steel stage:

Don't slam me too bad for this, but they used to do this a lot in SASS Matches. 6 targets with the numbers 1-6 on them out of order, i.e. 5.4.6.3.1.2 left to right, on start you roll a die and start on that number. If they were really trying to be sneaky with the second gun you had to engage in reverse order. I ROed one of these stages and nobody dropped the die off the table that I can remember, if your worried about it, you could put a lip on the table. I have no idea if it's legal, sorry, but I don't think anyone would complain if you did it at a local match. I like it, it makes you think as you are shooting, that means I'd probably screw it up, but looks fun.

Paper stage:

Looks like "pucker factor" from SS nats with a little more thrown in. If you haven't seen that stage the far target was open, then starting from the bottom there was more and more hardcover as the targets got closer, the closest had only the head open.

Good stuff

Jason

http://www.icore.org/classifiers/CS-031.pdf

Wow...

I thought up my version after trying to re-create Pucker Factor from this years Single Stack Classic at our local match. I managed to line the targets up a little too tight, and lazily just moved the shooting box over a bit. But it got me thinking along those lines...

I've actually never shot ICORE or been to a match... That is quite the co-incidence.

Vagas, don't feel too bad about it. To me stage designing is like cooking, there are only so many things to cook with and sooner or later you are going to recreate something someone else thought they came up with first only to find that THEY recreated someone elses dish as well. With so many great stage designers out there it is very hard to come up with something that no one has ever seen before. Trust me I have been there myself, over the last four years I have set up an average of 40 to 45 stages a year and it is HARD to be 100% original anymore.

Joe W.

• 1 month later...

We shoot one like this at Eagles nest last year. They used steel plates and four groups of targets. Square plates, round plates, triangle plates and then bowling pins. You had four cards face dsown and flipped them one at a time snd then engaged that string. You only shot three strings.

Steel stage discriminates for white cards. For blue or red, all Ok, go straight across.... Blue popper, mini blue, paper, paper, blue popper. Or, red popper, paper, paper, red mini, red popper. White makes you engage the mini between papers, changing the "fairness." Either get rid of the minis, or put a red, white, and blue (single popper, multi-colored) in the middle. You could also do four paper to force a paper, mini, paper transition for any color.

Tom Henninger at PSGC laid out a similar steel stage years ago using color. The cool trick he pulled was to write the words "red", "white", and "blue" in colors other than their own. That way when you turned over the card for "red", it was written in blue. You would be surprised at how many people shoot the wrong color! Later he tried one with colors and shapes. That was a hoot!

I like these both! Could change the first one to do weak hand after the movement, or anything. A very veratile basis for many good practice problems.

This is a good idea in case you have any color blind shooters.

This is a good idea in case you have any color blind shooters.

Really? They'll know what color they're supposed to shoot... But it won't tell them which targets are that color. ;)

(Got a color blind brother-in-law I drag to the occasional local match)

I like both stages and think they are fine for club matches. My experience is some people will love stages like the steel stage that is different and some will not and complain about it. (shrug) :)

We shot a stage last weekend just like the steel stage. The RO had the shooter draw a card and place it face down on the table in front of the shooting box. On the start signal the shooter turned over the card and shot accordingly.

We had a stage like this a couple months ago and you turned a card over and had to shoot the OTHER colors. What you turned over was a no shoot color. They had painted the heads of paper targets to match the cards. You did it at three different spots on the stage, each with its own group of targets. It was a hoot. It was actually a little tough, because when you flip a red card you brain is really screaming RED, but you have to shoot the other colors and not the red ones. It was a lot of fun. Just an alternate spin on the same idea. :P