Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Ssp Gun? If Not Glock, What?

downzero

I'm shooting an STI .40 in ESP. I'm thinking about getting a SSP pistol. I've owned a bunch of Glock's, but the grip angle makes me go back to the 1911. Before I buy another Glock it has been suggested that I simply go into the gun store and give them $200. Shorting the process of a pistol permit, the purchase and subsequent re sale. That being said. It's either Walther P99, Sig 226, or Para LDA? I've never heard anything good about the Para. I had a Sig years ago, why'd I sell it? Hum?

Help me Master Po.

If Glock is out (my preference), I would look at the Sig P226 ST. This all stainless steel P226ST has a 10 round loaded weight of around 42oz!!! This is the same as an 9mm 1911 with magwell. Physics alone say this is awesome SSP material, especially with a good trigger job and Heinie sights. I got to try out Ernest Langdon's CDP P220ST .45ACP at the Arkansas IDPA state match and it was very nice. Although his website doesn't show it yet, I think he is working on Sig's now, so I would call if interested.

http://www.sigarms.com/products/classicful...ct_name=P226+ST

http://www.langdontactical.com/main.htm

Good Luck!

if you're acustom to the 1911 then i would go with the para. i had todd jarrett's lda in my hand at the fgn's last year, with which he won production, he had the trigger down to one pound. if you send him the parts, no frame, he'll polish the trigger components to make it smoother than the factory.

i shoot a para in uspsa limited and esp in idpa.

Try the Sig 226 9mm (the ST if you want a really heavy gun)

or Try a Beretta 92 variant (either the straight Vertec grip or the traditional grip)

or Try the LDA in 9mm or 40.

Each have their pro's and con's but all are great SSP/production guns.

If Glock is out (my preference), I would look at the Sig P226 ST. This all stainless steel P226ST has a 10 round loaded weight of around 42oz!!! This is the same as an 9mm 1911 with magwell. Physics alone say this is awesome SSP material, especially with a good trigger job and Heinie sights. I got to try out Ernest Langdon's CDP P220ST .45ACP at the Arkansas IDPA state match and it was very nice. Although his website doesn't show it yet, I think he is working on Sig's now, so I would call if interested.

http://www.sigarms.com/products/classicful...ct_name=P226+ST

http://www.langdontactical.com/main.htm

Good Luck!

Hey Vincent, was that you I talked to at the AR state IDPA match? At the stage with the El Prez in tac sequence? I was the tall guy shooting a G35.

In order not to thread drift: Beretta, Para LDA, Sig, Walther.

I still think the ultimate Production gun is a CZ-75 style blaster, maybe with decocker. CZ-75B, Tanfoglio FAB-92, Baby Eagle, etc.

All steel, high grip/low bore, great ergonomic feel, great pointability, great single action trigger.

The only drawback is that double-action trigger.

I'll add a vote for the SIG. I use, depending on my mood, a 226 or a 225 when i shoot IDPA, occasionally my Glock. While the 225 only has an 8 round magazine, a slight disadvantage, if the game is shoot what you carry, then I use it.

Regardless, all SIG controls are the same, so using one is a form of practice with the others.

I may be crazy, but I think the Smith & Wesson 5906 is good for both SSP and for USPSA Production.

They have a shorter trigger reset than any other double action pistol I've handled, so you should be able to shoot one really fast! Plus, other than the Browning BDM, they are probably the best bet among the high cap double action guns for people with short fingers.

Your not crazy...maybe smart like a fox. I have a Performance Center tuned (off the shelf conventional model, not a P.C. model) 5906TSW for IPSC Production and IDPA SSP division. With all the choices you have for pistols that fit both sports criteria, the Smith is another good chioce. When I work on it, I can make the Smith trigger sing. ;) I like it because it's made of metal, made in the USA by an American company and it works like its supposed to. Add a Blade-Tech holster and you've a combo that's hard to beat. :ph34r:

I may be crazy, but I think the Smith & Wesson 5906 is good for both SSP and for USPSA Production.

They have a shorter trigger reset than any other double action pistol I've handled, so you should be able to shoot one really fast! Plus, other than the Browning BDM, they are probably the best bet among the high cap double action guns for people with short fingers.

Nope, not crazy. There's a thread around here - assuming it survived the changeover - where Robbie Leatham picked his favorite blasters in each IDPA division. The Performance Center 5906 was his choice of SSP gun. Of course, it's true that was before Springfield began selling the XD, but I believe the Performence Center 5906's advantages of heavy all-up weight to damp 9mm recoil to almost nothing, outstanding accuracy, smooth and light DA trigger pulls, and absolutely the shortest trigger reset of any DA auto for follow-up shots, are still valid.

The Springfield XD is an ESP gun NOT and SSP gun since it is being marketed as a single action trigger system. Although it externally looks like a Glock the trigger action works differently and is therefore not allowed in SSP. This topic is mentioned in the most recent IDPA Tactical Journal.

I have been shooting a Para LDA for the past few months. i reallly like it a lot, the long trigger reset takes some getting used to though.

I would reccomend the LDA or a Beretta Brigadier/elite 2 if you are used to 1911's.. .personally, my self and a few other 1911 guys don't like the vertecs very well, the grip is too small.

• 1 month later...

The CZ-75 is a nice production gun for me. Historically, I'm a 1911 guy and I was able to make the transition to the CZ alright. The controls on a CZ are in the right place for a 1911 shooter. But, seating the teenie-weenie magazines (compared to STI) on the fly has given me mucho grief!

It's a good entry level gun for the price. I think Glocks are neat, but that grip doesn't work well for my hands either. Of course, your best bet is to shoot as many production guns as you can lay your hands on and see which one fits you the best.

Firing the first shot double action took some getting used to. After I began to treat it as part of the draw stroke it seemed much more natural.

I shoot a 5904 in IDPA and I love it. Steel frame, light recoil in 9mm, and my gun has the nite-sites on adj. ramp. I use a Kydex set up. I have had no malfuctions since I've owned this weapon. I would guess I have put around 5000 - 7000 rds thru it so far. Even shooting weak handed is fairly easy because of the light smooth DA pull. For me all the "controls" are easy to reach with no problems. Now for the best part........even the Hi-Cap factory mags in SS are only around $30.00 dollars and plentiful. I've shot against Glocks and CZ-75's, Beretta's, colts, STI's, and Rugers, and I usually get asked "What'd you do to that gun?" I just reply "I put bullets in the mag and put the mag in the gun." I keep the gun clean and lubed. No custom work done to it at all..........whoops.....ok I had the ramp polished, but I swear thats all. Not bad for a handgun thats about 20+ years old. :D

• 3 weeks later...