Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions needed on new spring tester

GentlemanJim

Ours are portable and simple. So that would probably be the way to go.

Some people are unorganized (not me of course!) so how bout making some nice Poundage tags to go on each recoil spring after you know what it is? Now we are using cut up credit cards with a hole drilled in them. Can't afford a nice pouch(see--cut up credit cards).

Nick

Help me out a little...when you say "ours are portable and simple" who are you referring to and do you have pic?

And those tags have been on my mind too. I hate it when a spring is out of the package, on the work bench, right next to 4 or 5 other springs and no clue as to which one is which. :surprise:

cut up credit cards?

My Dad made a couple of spring testers many years ago and he really likes to use things that are "handy" I guess for the tags. The testers look very similar to Jim's except my Dad used rods with threaded ends and bigger endplates. All you have to do is have the right length at which you take the reading.

I don't have any pics of these yet. Keep forgetting to take the camera to his house.

Nick

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second prototype

Very simple (non breakable)...can be used with any recoil spring with a 5/16 ID and self marked for special dimensions.

compact for easy range bag storage.

I just had to build a scale also...no PLASTIC!!..it seems a quite accurate scale could be made pretty easy.

This scale is just for fun...but it is pretty darn accurate and very consistant.

whats the verdict??

Thanks

Jim

th_PICT0115-1.jpg

th_PICT0116.jpg

How about an additional attachment (rod) that would allow us to measure magazine springs?

I don't replace magazine springs on a regular interval since some seem to last forever while others go away quickly. I would hate to replace a good one with one that will go away even faster than the old one.

This item could give us an idea of which springs are on the way out.

Just a thought...

Edited by L9X25

How about an additional attachment (rod) that would allow us to measure magazine springs?

I don't replace magazine springs on a regular interval since some seem to last forever while others go away quickly. I would hate to replace a good one with one that will go away even faster than the old one.

This item could give us an idea of which springs are on the way out.

Just a thought...

Funny, I was having the same though :) I have a pistol with the exact same issue... the magazine springs are so hit or miss that I carry an extra half dozen in my bag.

On the prototypes so far, I like it... very clean and simple. Those two qualities go a long way for me.

Can you do better than a clip and washer on the end of the rod?

I'm thinking that checking several springs would get tiresome. It would be nice to not have small parts that get lost.

Edited by wide45

You could slot the end of the rod, then pin a thin piece in the slot, make a toggle bolt out of it. Adds expense though, would be at LEAST 5 times more expensive and probably close to 10 times more than a clevis pin and a washer to manufacture that end of the tool.

The pin system is as easy as I could come up with ...to use and to build

The T and slot idea would work ...the T may want to hang up in the spring...the small parts would cost more

A thread and cap nut would also work, as would a collar and thumb screw.

I keep coming back to the pin as the most effective.

The second prototype seems to be the best suited for easy production..and will also have the mainspring testing feature

I ordered some good 5/16..and 3/16 rod stock plus some aluminum rod and i will build a few units to test out.

as for scales?....you can get inexpensive fish scales for $3.00 and up... not the best, but they work.

Should I go to the effort to make a better quality scale?

Thanks for all your help!!

Jim

Jim, I have several scales around here and figure most of us have at least a trigger pull gauge that will check most recoil springs, a fish scale will work for checking mainsprings. I guess whether or not I want a nice scale would depend on what it would cost, I have stuff that will work but I do appreciate really good gear. Do you have an idea on the cost yet?

Its not a get rich kinda thing :roflol:

I needed a tool ...and I think others do too.

I made a drawing of the main part...will look for a CNC shop to make them.

cost will be as low as I can keep it ...hopeing for about $25.00 with no scale

As soon as I can get a quote and exact cost of materials I will know more.

Jim

Jim,

Either without the scale or you might want to market it two ways. One includes an inexpensive scale for those that don't have a scale. The other would not have the scale so that the engineers and perfectionists could supply their own super high quality scales or use NRA trigger weights. :-)

Maybe a dumb question but how do you know how far to pull the spring to check the weight? I know with the springs for our race car there is a procedure like pre-load the spring to 100lbs then compress it 1". That's the weight of the spring. Is it something similar for recoil and main springs?

Thanks Roy!

So you are the creator of the BOLT based tester ....cool idea :)

I know hooking the scale to the rod ...and disassembly from the bottom each use, is a PITA

The SDM unit has the same shortcoming.

My idea loads from the top, and the scale hooks to a ring...thats a less complicated method.

I will keep looking for an alternate method to retain the top bushing.

Jim

Maybe a dumb question but how do you know how far to pull the spring to check the weight? I know with the springs for our race car there is a procedure like pre-load the spring to 100lbs then compress it 1". That's the weight of the spring. Is it something similar for recoil and main springs?

I have exact measurements from the operation of 1911s

The rod is marked to mimic the springs measurements at open(in battery) and closed (slide fully back)

Jim

Jim,

When you get something ready for production, put my name on one and tell me how much to send where. I have several springs laying around out of the package and it would be nice to know what poundage they are.

when I made my spring tester, I made mine load from one end. I reconfigured the hook on my fish scale to fit in the captured end of the rod. the other end is solid like the bolt method. your tester looks very nice, you could flip it over load the spring the pusher then hook the scale and pull. i really like the spring pusher you made very nice.