Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Danica Patrick

Jman

First woman ever to win an Indy car race. She basically won it on fuel when the others had to pit and the leader was forced to slow because of low fuel. A win is a win though....

Of course you could say her superior driving skill in conserving fuel earlier in the race, set her up for being in position to stay out, be aggressive late, and RACE the last few laps while everyone else was sliding in to the pits on fumes...... of course it was the Team's strategy, but she executed it well.

A win is a win.

Edited by sfinney

First woman ever to win an Indy car race. She basically won it on fuel when the others had to pit and the leader was forced to slow because of low fuel. A win is a win though....

Of course you could say her superior driving skill in conserving fuel earlier in the race, set her up for being in position to stay out, be aggressive late, and RACE the last few laps while everyone else was sliding in to the pits on fumes...... of course it was the Team's strategy, but she executed it well.

A win is a win.

Like I said, "A win is a win." :P

I still want to see her win one where it wasn't a fuel issue. I'd say the team had a lot to do with that win. Yes, she did her part and I think she's a great driver, but she still has some things to prove in my eyes. It's not because she's a woman either... I would think that way about any driver regardless of sex.

EDIT: If you want to see how hot she really is... from the SI swimsuit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/...ick/index2.html

Edited by JThompson

Yup, she's still got alot to prove. She needs a few big finishes where she proves some passing skill, toughness to get her established as a "winner" and not just a pretty driver.

After the race, now that she had finally won her first race, the idiot interviewer hit her with "So when are you going to win AGAIN?" She responded "Next race, I hope", and moved on.

Yup, she's still got alot to prove. She needs a few big finishes where she proves some passing skill, toughness to get her established as a "winner" and not just a pretty driver.

After the race, now that she had finally won her first race, the idiot interviewer hit her with "So when are you going to win AGAIN?" She responded "Next race, I hope", and moved on.

I watched her racing as she grew up... her house is not 10 miles from mine. She can drive, but she has to prove she can do it on the very edge of control. That's where Indy cars have to be driven to win. To this point I think she's using about 95% what she needs to do is use 99.5 or better to be a winner in Indy. That's a massive oversimplification, but if the cars were equal I do not think she would be the one to come out on top. Maybe she's just smarter than the best drivers. lol You have to be fearless or stupid... maybe both to drive those cars at the apex.

After hearing of her win I youtubed some of her interviews. Watched one when she says, (paraphrased), ' Imagine your driving over 200mph. You can't see the car thats right next to you and is also going over 200mph. AND your car is bouncing around uncontrollably!!! '.

I watched her racing as she grew up... her house is not 10 miles from mine. She can drive, but she has to prove she can do it on the very edge of control. That's where Indy cars have to be driven to win. To this point I think she's using about 95% what she needs to do is use 99.5 or better to be a winner in Indy. That's a massive oversimplification, but if the cars were equal I do not think she would be the one to come out on top. Maybe she's just smarter than the best drivers. lol You have to be fearless or stupid... maybe both to drive those cars at the apex.

She needs to leave the security of the low line. She has as much HP as everyone but can't build momentum down there.

That and get qualified in the top 3-4 positions consistently.

Jim M

Hmmm. for all those of you grumbling about fuel, let me draw a little analogy:

At the last couple of Nationals I attended, Production shooters encountered the challenging phenomenon of the 11 round stage, with virtually no movement between positions -- other than shuffling your feet perhaps. On those stages, the highest hit factors seemed to be set by those people who could go 11 for 11, even if they were engaging movers and/or U.S. poppers.....

Seems to me that in a car race you have to do certain things --- drive the requisite number of miles, make pit stops, get fuel --- do I have that roughly right? So, if someone manages to drive their in such a manner that they can either skip a reload, or reload in a better place (at a better point in the race) and they finish first, that's somehow less of an accomplishment? I don't get it --- but then I don't watch sports either....

Hmmm. for all those of you grumbling about fuel, let me draw a little analogy:

At the last couple of Nationals I attended, Production shooters encountered the challenging phenomenon of the 11 round stage, with virtually no movement between positions -- other than shuffling your feet perhaps. On those stages, the highest hit factors seemed to be set by those people who could go 11 for 11, even if they were engaging movers and/or U.S. poppers.....

Seems to me that in a car race you have to do certain things --- drive the requisite number of miles, make pit stops, get fuel --- do I have that roughly right? So, if someone manages to drive their in such a manner that they can either skip a reload, or reload in a better place (at a better point in the race) and they finish first, that's somehow less of an accomplishment? I don't get it --- but then I don't watch sports either....

Absolutely 100% correct. She finished 1st and won the race.

Jim M

Indy car driver... similar to Formula 1.

danica_patrick.jpg

I like her too, but I think the racing world would take her more seriously if she didn't pose for cheesecake shots like this. It's kind of silly.

And for the record: if she had breasts, that photo would be a lot more entertaining.... :surprise:

Edited by bountyhunter

Indy car driver... similar to Formula 1.

danica_patrick.jpg

I like her too, but I think the racing world would take her more seriously if she didn't pose for cheesecake shots like this. It's kind of silly.

And for the record: if she had breasts, that photo would be a lot more entertaining.... :surprise:

Yeah, but sadly, she probably wouldn't have the level of sponsorship she has if she didn't pose for photos like that. Racers might just want to win, but advertisers want to sell stuff and that means in professional sports, being great isn't always enough and sometimes sub-par competitors flourish. How else can anyone explain the length of Anna Kournikova's tennis career? Frankly Kournikova wasn't even hot; she was just "tennis player-hot", which is maybe a half-step above "deployment-hot".

FWIW, I think the win and some of her past performances show that she's a serious racer regardless of the photos. Nobody seems to say anything about male racers posing for ads with their shirts off.

Edited by mpolans

A win is a win.

Like I said, "A win is a win." :P

I still want to see her win one where it wasn't a fuel issue. I'd say the team had a lot to do with that win. Yes, she did her part and I think she's a great driver, but she still has some things to prove in my eyes. It's not because she's a woman either... I would think that way about any driver regardless of sex.

EDIT: If you want to see how hot she really is... from the SI swimsuit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/...ick/index2.html

I'm sure Danica is losing sleep over the lack of your endorsement! :roflol:

I'm really surprised you boys didn't bring up the "Danica Rule". New rule this year about the driver's weight. It's rumored this new rule came into being because Danica is so light and some feel she has an unfair advantage. So weight was added to her car. As I understand it...where the weight was added could actually help Danica. SOOOO maybe Danica won because weight was added to her car in just the right spot....and that gave her better fuel mileage...etc

A win is a win.

Danica is the best thing that has happened to Indy racing. IT WAS DEAD!!! NO ONE was watching. She has brought it back to life. I can hardly wait for Danica to get to Indy in May. More winning from her would only make things better IMO.