Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What keeps the wheel turning?

HighVelocity

A question I've been pondering... I've shot all divisions in IDPA (started w/ CDP) and enjoyed them all. For some reason, I cannot stay away from SSR. Sunday evening, I thought I'd pull out the single stack and shoot CDP at a local club match. I was actually pretty excited about it until I got the gun in my hand. After a few moments staring at it and working the action, I put it right back in the safe, grabbed my SSR stuff and went to the match. Three out of 5 stages had me doing 2 reloads to everyone elses 1 reload. Not once did it occur to me that I should've brought a different gun. My 686 and I had a ball and I smiled all the way home.

So, what is it that makes the round gun so attractive? It's a bulky, heavy, limited capacity chunk of metal with a long trigger pull. But, I adore it. Am I looney tunes? :wacko:

Gary

So, what is it that makes the round gun so attractive? It's a bulky, heavy, limited capacity chunk of metal with a long trigger pull. But, I adore it. Am I looney tunes? :wacko:

Gary

It's being able to adapt and over come the negatives and still beat your friends with the auto loaders that keeps you doing the extra work. :cheers:

Could it be personality related? I'm a pretty laid back kinda fellow, that's to say I don't get too exited about anything that's not about to eat me. I enjoy

competition and improving my skills, but I try to approach it in a contemplative way. So the quick six and a little hand dance format just suits me. I haven't

met a lot of revolver shooters yet, but those I have seem to be similar in nature. Are there any gonzo, balls to the wall types shooting revolver?

Edited by nashvillebill

Revolver has a larger skill set than a pistol, that's one reason it's interesting. It's tougher game - IMO.

Another reason is the pure intimidation factor when guys running auto's try to go fast so they can beat the revolver, and then go down in flames.

Yes, there are some balls to the wall types running with the Revolver. Out west they shoot USPSA and ICORE but don't generally dabble in IDPA. And they are also pretty laid back, it's just that they like to win - in any Division.

Wow,that'd be a long list of reasons I'm thinking!I guess for me,they just feel "normal".I tend to use my wheels for more than just competition,maybe thats the main thing.I mean there's concealed carry(J or K frame .38),nightstand duty(k frame .38),truck duty(L or N .357),hunting(N frame .44)etc,etc.I don't think you get that kind of versitility with the auto platform.That being said,and I hate to admit it,I tend to shoot an auto better in competition.That doesn't keep me from trying to shoot a wheelie better though.-Mike

I enjoy the round gun because everything you do is what is believed to be impossible. Keeping the trigger moving while attaining the next target and hitting the A; reloading with moonclips or speedloaders; loading more often than shooting. You dollar actually goes farther, you get more time on the stage for the same entry fee. And when you go balls to the wall.. nobady can tell the difference :ph34r:

Very interesting thoughts, folks. Keep it coming. "doing the impossible" sounds pretty good. Although, sometimes "atempting" the impossible don't turn out so good. :rolleyes:

I just can't put my finger on IT. I used to really get a kick out of my 1911's, Heck, even Glocks and Sigs were fun. Now they're all completely in the shadow of the round things.

Gary

Edited by HighVelocity

I was teaching an IDPA SO course recently. Had a shooter from my home club there. Someone was asking about SSR. The local to me guy has been a USPSA and IDPA shooter for some time and commented If you really want to see slow, watch one of those damn revolver shooters. My answer was "Kicked your ass a few times so it can't be that slow" That made revolver shooting all the more fun :D This week I will shoot SSR with full magnum loads from my 2.5" 66 in honor of this thread :cheers: Yes. my hands are feeling better.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Gary

I don't think I will ever love any gun as much as a nice S&W DA revolver.

I made the switch back to autoloaders about 6 months ago, after a layoff of almost 2 years. I like shooting in general, so it's great fun. The Glock is a great gun.

But I notice I am still drawn to S&W revolvers. The only revo I have left is a 4" 617 and as a gun, I like it so much better than my Glock. It's aesthetically (sp?) pleasing, heavy, accurate, reliable. And it has that X-factor (as do a lot of S&W revolvers) that just makes it a "cool" gun.

I have been lloking at a really nice target model 14 6" that's laying around in a gunstore for $150. It's probably as accurate as $1500+a S_I. That's also what I love about these revolvers.

I think revolvers are more or less regarded as being obsolete, because it has little or no place in the games we play, compared to autoloaders. And often, our games are regarded as a mirror of "the real world". But in the real world there are no 32 round field courses...

I think revolvers still have a purpose and I wouldn't hesitate to have one as a carry gun.

I was teaching an IDPA SO course recently. Had a shooter from my home club there. Someone was asking about SSR. The local to me guy has been a USPSA and IDPA shooter for some time and commented If you really want to see slow, watch one of those damn revolver shooters. My answer was "Kicked your ass a few times so it can't be that slow" That made revolver shooting all the more fun :D This week I will shoot SSR with full magnum loads from my 2.5" 66 in honor of this thread :cheers: Yes. my hands are feeling better.

Shooting a mechanical nightmare is great enjoyment. :)

Beating good shooters by having not too bad times but much better scores (you can't shoot fast enough to miss) is very satisfying and doen't get any better than that. :devil:

Do I like revolver? Why yes, I must do, I have 14 Smith's. 6 L-Frames, 1 N-Frame, and 7 K-Frames. :cheers:

It's a 2 edged sword.

You can look really good, awe the spectators and all, and not be particulary on your game just cause there's so few of us at local matches.

Then it gets really boring not having much competition at those same local matches.

But the camradarie of the Revo Division at this time is reminescent of the early days of IPSC. Which makes any match where you get 20+ Revo's a blast!

Yep, hard to explain, but it sure is a hell'a lot fun! The revo but caught me last year and I'm having a blast doing it. And yes it is more than wonderfull when you spank a bunch of the bottom feeders who have been ribbing you about shooting a wheel gun. :cheers: Realy why? see my signiture line below. :goof:

I shoot 80% IDPA and only 20% USPSA... so when running the 625 I love to watch the expressions of the semi-auto shooters when they realize I beat them.

Last month I was the top CDP shooter including a pile of experts--- but I did it with my ESR gun.

When I get any crap I offer the offender this opportunity... "Say... why don't we bet a little cash and you shoot my gun and I'll shoot yours".

That generally brings on a moment of silence:)

Edited by MichiganShootist

My little 3" 13 was my 2nd gun and it just feels right. Havent found the time to try idpa but if I do that what's going with me. The 5" 610 is there for uspsa and I'm not too good with it but for some reason I love shooting feild courses with it. Had my first bent up moon clip the last match I shot( shows how long Ive been at it) and now it is a zipper pull for my range jacket.

It's a bulky, heavy, limited capacity chunk of metal with a long trigger pull.

.....and you make it look soooo easy.

You have accomplished a skill level that not many ppl will ever match. You go to match and consistantly place in the top 3. You do this with a huge handicap shooting your wheelie. I have see you shoot nearly every week for about 7 months and Your reloads and accuracy still keep me in awe.

I think that your ability, skill, accomplishments with a revolver, and the fact that you know not everyone can do it, has a lot to with your fascination with your new Love for the chunk of metal.

Keep up the good work Gary

This week I will shoot SSR with full magnum loads from my 2.5" 66 in honor of this thread :cheers: Yes. my hands are feeling better.

Magnum loads in a k frame snubby, that's a handful. :surprise:

I'm glad to hear your hands are feeling better, hope you can still say that after your magnum match. :unsure:

.....and you make it look soooo easy.

You have accomplished a skill level that not many ppl will ever match. You go to match and consistantly place in the top 3. You do this with a huge handicap shooting your wheelie. I have see you shoot nearly every week for about 7 months and Your reloads and accuracy still keep me in awe.

I think that your ability, skill, accomplishments with a revolver, and the fact that you know not everyone can do it, has a lot to with your fascination with your new Love for the chunk of metal.

Keep up the good work Gary

Thanks for the kind words. All I can say is that you haven't seen Curt Nichols shoot (look for him at Badlands). He might as well smack my upside the melon with his k frame because whatching him makes me dizzy. That guy is smokin' fast.

I compete in Revolver because I'm one of probably a handful of people in the world who actually does carry a 625 concealed literally on a daily basis and I happen to believe that the revolver (specifically the 625) is the best choice for street use. If I saw USPSA as some kind of sterile game with no real world utility (which is how many DO see it) there is no reason in the world I'd shoot Revolver. I will never understand those of you who shoot the revolver extremely well yet choose to carry any kind of semiauto, but I am grateful that you exist because obviously USPSA Revolver would not exist without you. On the other hand, I often shoot a Glock in Production and have little desire to carry one in the real world, so I guess that makes me as nuts as those I just criticized. So who knows?

Dave Sinko

I'm a 642 toter.

In you previous post on action jobs and hard primers. Does this relate to your 625 CCW choice? If so it now makes much more sense.

May the force be with you.

I compete in Revolver because I'm one of probably a handful of people in the world who actually does carry a 625 concealed literally on a daily basis and I happen to believe that the revolver (specifically the 625) is the best choice for street use. If I saw USPSA as some kind of sterile game with no real world utility (which is how many DO see it) there is no reason in the world I'd shoot Revolver. I will never understand those of you who shoot the revolver extremely well yet choose to carry any kind of semiauto, but I am grateful that you exist because obviously USPSA Revolver would not exist without you. On the other hand, I often shoot a Glock in Production and have little desire to carry one in the real world, so I guess that makes me as nuts as those I just criticized. So who knows?

Dave Sinko

Like everybody says, it's just real damn fun. It appeals to anyone with a sense of the past. It's more challenging in some ways. It's really impressive to see a fast revo reload performed by a skilled shooter, and working to get fast yourself is a challenge. And a well built S&W is really a piece of mechanical art. And you can dry fire it in on multiple targets in practice because there's no slide to rack between trigger pulls. A revo does not care what load or ammo you use (as long as you don't exceed max pressures!). The versatility provided that way is unmatched. They will never go out of style.