Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Props Under Gun

chill5500

I have been wondering about this for a while, and this may have allready been addressed but here it goes. Can you use something like a spent casing or a tree branch to prop up your gun on stages where you have to start with your gun laying on a table or flat surface? I've seen some new additions to the open guns that mount on the optics, but this is really about a limited gun, and maybe it has something to do with OPEN or LIMITED and so fourth, anyway just curios.

Thanks

I have been wondering about this for a while, and this may have allready been addressed but here it goes. Can you use something like a spent casing or a tree branch to prop up your gun on stages where you have to start with your gun laying on a table or flat surface? I've seen some new additions to the open guns that mount on the optics, but this is really about a limited gun, and maybe it has something to do with OPEN or LIMITED and so fourth, anyway just curios.

Thanks

This is why clearly written stage descriptions are critical.

Can you use something like a spent casing or a tree branch to prop up your gun on stages where you have to start with your gun laying on a table or flat surface?

No you may not. If you do, then under 4.5.1 the RO may, at his discretion, issue one procedural per occurrence.....

Can you use something like a spent casing or a tree branch to prop up your gun on stages where you have to start with your gun laying on a table or flat surface?

No you may not. If you do, then under 4.5.1 the RO may, at his discretion, issue one procedural per occurrence.....

I don't think 4.5.1 would hold up for gun starting position. Just put it in the WSB if you don't want people to prop gun up. gun lying flat, unsupported, etc.

This makes my head hurt...

Just getting an idea of putting a 'tree-branch' underneath your gun during competition, makes me think "wtf"?

Change Division to Open, and do whatever you want. Why tweak the other categories. It just makes me think 'cheater'.

Sorry. can't help it, but that is what flies into my head as soon as i read the first line of the post!

If the WSB says place gun on barrel or table and the stage prop has an irregular surface go for it. Adding additional props would be modifying the course of fire, which isnt allowed.

I don't think 4.5.1 would hold up for gun starting position. Just put it in the WSB if you don't want people to prop gun up. gun lying flat, unsupported, etc.

Hmmmm --- here's the rule:

4.5 Rearrangement of Range Equipment or Surface

4.5.1 The competitor must not interfere with the range surface, natural foliage, constructions, [props/b] or other range equipment (including targets, target stands and target activators) at anytime. Violations may incur one procedural penalty per occurrence at the discretion of the

Range Officer.

So, if on a table start stage the table is devoid of any objects for the first competitor, other than the gun, and the table is swept free of casings between shooters, how exactly are you going to position that gun with a casing (or other object) without interfering with the prop (table)?

Hmmmm --- here's the rule:

4.5 Rearrangement of Range Equipment or Surface

4.5.1 The competitor must not interfere with the range surface, natural foliage, constructions, [props/b] or other range equipment (including targets, target stands and target activators) at anytime. Violations may incur one procedural penalty per occurrence at the discretion of the

Range Officer.

So, if on a table start stage the table is devoid of any objects for the first competitor, other than the gun, and the table is swept free of casings between shooters, how exactly are you going to position that gun with a casing (or other object) without interfering with the prop (table)?

4.5 deals with range equipment and range surface. Can't move targets, can't move barrels, can't mess with poppers, cn't mess with surface to maybey better locate a shooting position,etc. I see no mention of not being able to prop a gun or make it stand straight up. A competitior could easily prop a gun with one of their own magazines. I would not consider that tampering with range equipment or range surface. Using something to prop a gun has more to do with the starting position which the WSB is for.If you want the gun lying flat, then state it. If it doesn't say you can't, then you can.

Edited by HoMiE

4.5 deals with range equipment and range surface. Can't move targets, can't move barrels, can't mess with poppers, cn't mess with surface to maybey better locate a shooting position,etc. I see no mention of not being able to prop a gun or make it stand straight up. A competitior could easily prop a gun with one of their own magazines. I would not consider that tampering with range equipment or range surface. Using something to prop a gun has more to do with the starting position which the WSB is for.If you want the gun lying flat, then state it. If it doesn't say you can't, then you can.

So what are you going to use to prop that gun up with?

One of my guns I don't need to use anything. It has a squared comp and can stand straight up if a table start is required. I could use one of my own magazines with my other guns.

One of my guns I don't need to use anything. It has a squared comp and can stand straight up if a table start is required. I could use one of my own magazines with my other guns.

Squared comp -- no issue if the stage description simply reads gun on table. But, if that's what the stage description says, there's no adding a magazine or casing or anything else to a stage prop....

So let me throw this out there. WSB for a stage says gun lying flat on table. You have a slide racker on your gun. Do you have to start with the gun on the flat side or is using the slide racker to prop gun OK?

So let me throw this out there. WSB for a stage says gun lying flat on table. You have a slide racker on your gun. Do you have to start with the gun on the flat side or is using the slide racker to prop gun OK?

As long as you don't change the COF it's okay... some would argue that point as well, if it's not in the WSB, but if it's attached to the gun you are fine. You can also have wings on an open just for table starts even if it's not a SR.

Edited by JThompson

Slide Racker's fine --- your gun resting on the racker is as flat as it can get; unless you're just adding the racker to the gun for table start stages.....

This makes my head hurt...

Just getting an idea of putting a 'tree-branch' underneath your gun during competition, makes me think "wtf"?

Change Division to Open, and do whatever you want. Why tweak the other categories. It just makes me think 'cheater'.Sorry. can't help it, but that is what flies into my head as soon as i read the first line of the post!

What Sandormen said. +1

I have a slide racker on my limited gun & it just happens to conveniently be there on table starts, as well. For me, it serves several purposes plus it almost always gets at least one "is that legal on a limited gun?" question. It also keeps me from depressing the mag release which can(and has) happen on a table start .

Ask all the questions you want. There is no harm in it & some folks just don't think about the way their replies sound. If you are new, it is a really good thing to ask questions. Ignore the rude sounding answers.

MLM

I have a slide racker on my limited gun & it just happens to conveniently be there on table starts, as well. For me, it serves several purposes plus it almost always gets at least one "is that legal on a limited gun?" question. It also keeps me from depressing the mag release which can(and has) happen on a table start .

Ask all the questions you want. There is no harm in it & some folks just don't think about the way their replies sound. If you are new, it is a really good thing to ask questions. Ignore the rude sounding answers.

MLM

OK, I'll bite. Is that legal on a Limited Gun? :unsure: