Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Shot Case Lube

Cat355

I recently purchased a Dillon Square Deal setup for 9mm Luger from Brian Enos. So far, I have absolutely no complaints about this wonderful little blue machine. But I have been rolling my own on a Rockchucker and an RCBS Turret Press for the past 14 years, and I am a bit embarrassed to admit that my current skill level when operating this progressive press is still rather awkward... But it sure is fun use. :)

Anyway, I have a question concerning the use of One Shot case lube on 9x19 cases. I have never lubed straight-walled pistol cases before because I've always used carbide sizer dies. And even though the SD has a carbide sizer and easily resizes 9mm cases without lubing them, would a light application of One Shot significantly improve the process?

If One shot is worth using on 9mm cases, does it leave any residue that must be removed from the loaded rounds before they can be fired?

Carbide dies or not use One Shot and life will be considerably better!!!!! I do not clean rounds afterwards but that is your option. My opinion is that the lube can't hurt feeding or magazine function, and maybe helps. Once you use it you won't go back!!

Let me add my two cents. Use it! There, that was easy :rolleyes:

You don't need any lubricant with pistol cartridges and carbide dies. It's not an issue of needing it, it's an issue of how much easier it makes it.

I have cleaned them afterward with mineral spirits, tumbling and hand rubbing. I can't tell where it makes any difference at all on the finishes product.

FWIW

dj

Me too...I use it on pistol cases. So much smoother. I don't clean rounds after loading. Never saw a need. Also use it for other things like a shot down the firing pin tunnel :blush:

Get a 1 gal. zip lock baggie, couple squirts of One Shot inside, add cases, zip, and shake. Load and shoot.

+1. This is absolutely the easiest approach and makes the One Shot go a looooooooooong way.

Get a 1 gal. zip lock baggie, couple squirts of One Shot inside, add cases, zip, and shake. Load and shoot.

+1. This is absolutely the easiest approach and makes the One Shot go a looooooooooong way.

+1 on the baggie tip. The key to one shot is don't overspray. A one second shot in a big baggie with about 200 pieces of brass in it works fine. You only need to get a slight amount of lube on the cases. If the cases feel greasy after you have reloaded you used a bit too much.

I load on a 1050 so I don't have to handle the cases. The One shot makes the press run sooo smooth.

I do not usually clean them after as I don't spray them like rifle cases so there is really not a lot of lube on the finished rounds.

Once I over did it and tumbled them after to get it off - big mistake. The media stuck in the hollow points and caused issues latter on. The media, walnut shells, came out in the magazines and created havoc.

+1 on the lube. I started using it about a year ago and it's made life sooo much easier. If you feel like you want to clean the rounds after loading but don't want to tumble them, do what I do. Take a bath towel and fold in half, then sew up the sides leaving just the top open, like a pillow case. Then you can dump in a few hundred rounds at a time and shake & shuffle them around a bit to get them wiped off. It's really very easy and faster than tumbling. Works great for polished brass too to get the dust off.

-Cuz.

+1 on the baggie tip. The key to one shot is don't overspray. A one second shot in a big baggie with about 200 pieces of brass in it works fine. You only need to get a slight amount of lube on the cases. If the cases feel greasy after you have reloaded you used a bit too much.

Oops. I've been using too much. :unsure:

Call me ignorant, but you use this after you tumble and clean your old brass, to ease up the process of reloading it. Does it then have any advantages after the round is finished, or just the potential disadvantage of being to "greasy" if used in overabundance. I just have reloaded 9mm. It sounds more like a rifle thing? Carbide dies have eliminated the need????

Hoping to learn, thanks

Call me ignorant, but you use this after you tumble and clean your old brass, to ease up the process of reloading it. Does it then have any advantages after the round is finished, or just the potential disadvantage of being to "greasy" if used in overabundance. I just have reloaded 9mm. It sounds more like a rifle thing? Carbide dies have eliminated the need????

Hoping to learn, thanks

Yes, you use it after you've tumbled the empty cases and it really lowers the amount of force you need to operate the press. No real advantage to the finished round at all.

Carbide dies have eliminated the need, but the press definitely runs easier when the cases have a little lube on them. R,

The operative words here are "light application", for sure.

Too much on regular yellow brass cases can get to be sticky after loading.

Nickle cases, OTOH, seem to get even slicker...