Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: 9mm vs. .40 minor

Xfactor

Just wondering how the numbers break down for Production shooters out there... I've heard some claim that the .40 minor is very soft shooting (softer than average 9mm?) for those that reload, but I've also heard that barely-legal 147gr 9mm rounds are still softer shooting. And then there's also the factor of slide cycling time, and the size of the hole in the target, etc...

Just wondering how the numbers break down for Production shooters out there... I've heard some claim that the .40 minor is very soft shooting (softer than average 9mm?) for those that reload, but I've also heard that barely-legal 147gr 9mm rounds are still softer shooting. And then there's also the factor of slide cycling time, and the size of the hole in the target, etc...

My gun didn't like 147s so I'm going to try 124s for now it's 115s 9mm at about a 127pf. I shot a powder puff 40 and I have to say I think it was softer.

JT

EDIT: Money is also a factor in my choice.

Edited by JThompson

I voted 9mm because that is what I currently use. However, that being said I had problems with steel at my last match. I use 125 gr precisions with enough tg to make 135 pf. I hit a steel target 4 times and no go. Another shooter using 147 gr 9mm at 139 pf knocked it down. Problem is I don't like the feel of heavier bullets. Can't really nail down why, but I "feel" slower and slightly sluggish with the heavier bullets. It took some time for me to get the perfect bullet weight and power factor figured to suit my personal preference and now I'm not knocking down steel with it. If I could develop a .40 cal load that felt as quick as my 125gr/135pf load I would switch in a heartbeat if it knocked down the steel better. Downside is the cost of components jumps a bunch from 9mm to .40 and for me that is a big factor. I have never been involved any sport/hobby that had so many catch 22's. "This is defiantly the best way to do that, unless of course you are dealing with the thing, in which case that is not the way to do this."

I guess experimentation is the only way to figure it out. Try different loads until you find the one that works best for you. One trap to avoid is trying to develop the "softest" load possible. I shoot WAY better with 135 pf loads than I do with 125 pf.

I use 9mm because it's cheaper. I don't see much of a difference in perceive recoil. I miss just as well with either caliber <_<. The holes are bigger with the .40 so you can get an advantage when hitting close to the A zone. It is also a disadvantage when you hit close to a no-shoot.

Where is the 45ACP option? I traded a gun for and XD-45ACP Tactical and since I already had my XD-40 Tactical setup for L-10 I decided to shoot production with the XD-45ACP. Shooting 200gr lead RNFP bullets nice and slow.

9mm - cheaper... everything else is a non-factor.

calibrated steel falls

minor pf is such low recoil that if it's an issue, well....

bullet diameter is irrelevent if you are shooting A's

never seen a problem with the slide cycling too slow for any of the GM's and their 9mm's.

I use 9mm, I prefer .40. Hope that helps.

Seriously, I've shot my best stages (not that impressive compared to others) using a G35 with minor .40, but at the time it seemed the slide was moving too slowly and I was waiting for the sites so I switched to 9mm for the snap and cost. looking back at it, I think I was seeing in slow motion (if that makes any sense) and I could actually track the sites. .40 is a better option for me but I'm getting cheaper in my old age.

Thread drift, If money wasn't a factor I think .45 in Lim 10 would be a great option (for meanyway) as well. There is a cool 6" STI in .45 for sale. I think that would make an awesome Lim 10 gun but I don't want to pay for .45 brass and bullets. JMO

Started w/ 40 minor because that's the caliber I had in the gun I was going to use (G22 and G35). Switched this year to 9mm (G17, and a G34 on the way) for the lower cost, but I'm going back to 40 minor because I'll be shooting the Nats back to back, and plan on using the G35 for both Production in the first match, and uploaded to major for L10 in the second. Afterwards I may go back to 9mm.

Edited by kevin c

9mm for the advantage of easily available, low cost ammo that's loaded close to the needed power factor, out of the box. Thus no need to reload for either reasons of cost or recoil level.

BTW, I've come to the conclusion, for my own shooting at least, that how the gun cycles and times is much more important than having "soft" recoil. Thus I've migrated to the snappier 115-grain load over the "soft" 147s I used to shoot.

Had problems knocking down steel with 115 gr. 9mm.

Switched over to .40 ( g22-g35 ) 135 gr. Rainers (135 pf).

N320/ 4.8-5.0 grs.

Steel goes down, .401 catches A,s better.

Feels and shoots about the same as 9mm to me.

I use this load for:

probuction

idpa

steel challenge

PSA (knock down steel)

plate racks

It is a good all around load for me. I don't buy factory anything.

ty-3853

Edited by sweetback

Is the cycling time very different between a .40 minor and a 147gr 9mm? At present I shoot AA&A 147gr 9mm, which come out to just over 130PF in my M&P... they are a lot softer than typical factory 9mm (115. 124, or 147) but I haven't thought much about the slide cycling time until recently.

But in truth, I'm not that fast yet, so cycling time may not even be much of a factor for me anyway! :unsure:

But in truth, I'm not that fast yet, so cycling time may not even be much of a factor for me anyway!

When I talk about "how the gun cycles" I'm not saying that the speed of the action cycling affects how fast I can shoot per se. With either load the slide is going to cycle in mere hundredths of a second which is considerably faster than I am. :) I'm talking about how the speed at which the slide cycles affects how the gun acts in recoil.

• 1 month later...

For me it's a no-brainer. .40 because I use .40 in L10 and already have the components. Minor loads are as soft as a mouse fart and steal will go down with a less than good hit. Holes are larger, for scoring purposes. Brass is basically free, blah, blah, blah.

I voted for the 40 b/c I'm (a) old & lazy when it comes to reloading (B) cheap & reloading 9mm with Pb bullets has been troublesome or worse © shoot an XD or M&P (d) basically just shoot local club matches. If I didn't reload or shot Glocks or did a lot of air-travel matches the vote would DEFINETLEY been for the 9mm.