Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Glock make a weed whacker?

Hi there,

I need some tips on a weed whacker that will actually feed the line like it is supposed to. The last two I tried just sucked after a couple months or so. Any tips would be appreciated.

Later,

Chuck

I don't know about the wacker but try using the "heavy duty" line avaiable from big orange. It won't cure the problem but it lasts twice as long, therefore only half the problems. Makes sense, right? :cheers::cheers:

I don't know about the wacker but try using the "heavy duty" line avaiable from big orange. It won't cure the problem but it lasts twice as long, therefore only half the problems. Makes sense, right? :cheers::cheers:

I decided to post this question today after the heavy stuff failed to work also. It sort of lasted longer but hit anything with it and it snaps flush with the round hooter and will not feed. The pisser here is that the first one I bought back in the 80's worked for 10 years or so. I think it got lost in a move or something. The newer models just never "cut it" :rolleyes:

I also recommend the "heavy duty" line. It's important, I think, that you use the proper diameter line as well.

I had a Poulan that worked well for about 10 years and now a Weed Eater that's going into it's third season & runnin' great.

Just a thought... when I'm looking to buy any kind of tool or equipment my first thought is, what do the pros use? The people who have to use this tool/equipment day in and day out to make their living.

In this little corner of the world it's hands down Shindaiwa. I've had the T271 for I don't know how many years and still starts on the first pull.

Also, all the pros that I've seen pull off anything that resembles a self feed and immediately put on a solid aluminum head and carry pre-cut/pre-tied line in their back pockets.

Good luck :)

Weed whackers suck! Damn I hate dealing with those things. My current one is one of the 4-stroke Troy Bilts that takes the conversion attachments. I've tried a bunch of differ manual and self-feed heads, never been happy with with any of 'em. That reminds me...the damn thing was leaking gas last time I used it. Guess I'll have to figure that out before I fire it up this season. I really loathe yard work. My wife loves riding around on the riding lawn tractor I bought a year or so ago. I'm stuck with the trimming/edging duties though.

What's a weed wacker?

I hope we are not talking gardening here.

Have you people never heard of CONCRETE.

If you want green, paint it.

The closest I get to doing the lawns is when I travel 8000Miles and the grass needs shortening at the range, then it is important, that's not gardening that's range maintenance, don't get them confused. They even filmed me and have threatened to show my wife.

Piece of advice for those who may not need it, from someone not really qualified to give it out. NEVER and I repeat NEVER, buy your wife a lawn mower for Christmas. :surprise:

Thanks to every one so far! This is interesting:

1 - Poulan

1 - Homelite

3 - Stihl

1 - Briggs & Stratton

1 - Toro

1 - Shindaiwa

1 - Troybuilt

We seem to have a leader but it may just be the calendar. :rolleyes: I like the concrete idea but I think the real fix for the problem is to get a townhouse.

Keep it coming!

Chuck

As usual Flex is giving you the right answer (as is Kingman). I was looking at them yesterday actually. I was surprised at how reasonable the price seemed.

Another Stihl fan here

Buy the good stuff once and don't look back. Also go to an equipment store, stay away from the big box stores for this stuff.

Edit to add

Disclosure:

I did have to buy parts for it once. I jammed up the line feed and broke it prying on it with a screwdriver. However parts were available and reasonably priced.

Edited by Greg Bell

Chuck,

I'll tell you my story...if it helps.

Two summers ago I somehow got tasked with the job of knocking the weeds down while our new house was being built. Our new neighborhood is right next door to the township office and they were kind enough to let us know when the weeds got knee high. :) I decided I was going to do it with a trimmer.

I knew it was going to be a big job and I wanted to make sure the tools were up to the task. (and, we didn't have a gas powered trimmer at the time)

So, I started digging around on the internet and tried to see what people liked and didn't. I also looked on the racks on the pro landscape trailers that were always around. Everything pointed to Stihl.

Another point...everybody says to get a trimmer that has a straight shaft, not curved.

So, off I went...in search of a Stihl with a straight shaft. I wanted some power (weeds) and I wanted to put the handlebars on it, since I was going to basically be mowing with it. I found out that you have to go to a Stihl shop to gt them. the model I was after was what they call their 90. The shop (local hardware that carries them) didn't have that in stock. They called their other shop and they had a 110 model...which they cut me a deal on.

Their "other shop" was basically an old lawn-mower repair place. These guys knew their stuff...they weren't filling orders from a catalog. They fixed everything that people managed to break. So, when they told me stuff like...don't leave it for months without running the fuel out of it...I listened close.

Anyway, mine with the handlebars can swing/mow a 6ft path at a slow walk. And, it will take different attachments (I don't have any yet). Mine has run for hours at a time, nor problems.

Being a bigger unit, it can take (and run) the bigger line...which tends to wear out less quickly. I buy my line and all accessories from Stihl....they seem to take pride in putting their name on stuff.

If all you need is a simple trimmer, then I'd go with a smaller straight shaft unit from them.

The auto feed head on mine works fine. I do have to wrap it myself, and I take care to keep it from tangling when I do.