Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So called Instructors

Sestock

Here is a quote from another forum, in a discussion on the benefits of weaver vs. ISO stance.

""Quote:

Todd Jarrett

Brian Enos

Rob Leatham

Dave Sevigny

All from the world of competition. What conclusions can we draw aside form the fact that Iso is the grip / stance of choice in IPSC?

None of those guys has ever been in a gunfight. What conclusions can we draw aside from the fact that people have also used Iso in gunfights and prevailed proving that "Iso works" to use Yeagers words?""

This guy constantly preaches his holier than thou attitude toward competition shooting. I am getting near my wits end in trying to counter him, before he jades all of the forum members aganist competition shooting. He always brings up "never been a gunfight" rational. FYI, as far as I can tell he has never been in a gun fight either.

Edited by Sestock

So - ask him outright if he's been in a gunfight, just to find out... :lol:

Ask him why people that shoot competitions are brought in to teach gun handling skills (that is, grip, stance, recoil control, shoot on the move, target acquisition, shot calling, engagement speed, etc) to guys who get in gunfights far more frequently than the average Joe (can you say HRT, SWAT, military operators... so on an so forth) - and why those folks are being taught a modified iso stance...

You could also point out that, under stress, the body will naturally find something very close to iso anyway, due to flinch response... and that several studies have shown (don't ask me to reference them - but if you dig them up, let me know... if really needed, I'll ping my source and see if he knows where they are) that even people who've trained extensively using Weaver end up using iso when they actually end up in a real gunfight, again due to flinch response. So, why train with something you're never going to use anyway?? :lol:

I guess facts should never get in the way.

History of the "Weaver Stance"

The excitement and challenge of wide open competition was what led Jack Weaver to develop the Weaver Stance, with the sole purpose of winning Jeff Cooper's "Leatherslap" competition in Big Bear, California. In Cooper's own words, "It began in 1956 at Big Bear when I set up the first Leatherslap. As far as I know, it was the first match of its kind held anywhere in the world. It was unrestricted as to technique, as to weapon, as to caliber, as to holster, as to profession. It was a straight quick-draw match — just draw and hit a target at seven yards."

Weaver Stance History

Alan

I am getting near my wits end in trying to counter him, before he jades all of the forum members aganist competition shooting.....

Dude, you're wasting your time, the gun rags have made us (IPSC shooters) out to be fakes who don't know how, with expensive toys. I'm up against that all the time, the "tactical snake oil salesmen" out there who can't the berm safely but claim to teach "tactics".

Just 'cuz you know the truth, don't mean he's ready to hear it. There ain't no fixin' it, walk away.....

So - ask him outright if he's been in a gunfight, just to find out... :lol:

Ask him why people that shoot competitions are brought in to teach gun handling skills (that is, grip, stance, recoil control, shoot on the move, target acquisition, shot calling, engagement speed, etc) to guys who get in gunfights far more frequently than the average Joe (can you say HRT, SWAT, military operators... so on an so forth) - and why those folks are being taught a modified iso stance...

You could also point out that, under stress, the body will naturally find something very close to iso anyway, due to flinch response... and that several studies have shown (don't ask me to reference them - but if you dig them up, let me know... if really needed, I'll ping my source and see if he knows where they are) that even people who've trained extensively using Weaver end up using iso when they actually end up in a real gunfight, again due to flinch response. So, why train with something you're never going to use anyway?? :lol:

Good stuff Dave. You mean the fakes don't get to train the snake eaters? You mean they bring in actual SHOOTERS to train people how to shoot??? What a freakin' concept?!?!?

Edited by dirtypool40

One nifty thing about iso that's being taught now at some places and that might have cred with the tacticool set is the fact that the ballistic plates in body armor are in a lot of vests are in the front and back, not the sides. Thus, when you're expected to face high velocity rifle rounds, it behooves you to square up to the bad guys when shooting back, so that if you take a hit, it'll hit the plate instead of the softer sides.

One nifty thing about iso that's being taught now at some places and that might have cred with the tacticool set is the fact that the ballistic plates in body armor are in a lot of vests are in the front and back, not the sides. Thus, when you're expected to face high velocity rifle rounds, it behooves you to square up to the bad guys when shooting back, so that if you take a hit, it'll hit the plate instead of the softer sides.

Don't forget your secure communications devices, and no you cannot get them at Radio Shack. Military frequencies are scrambled using a 256 bit encryption algorithm, and it is well-nigh uncrackable in any reasonable amount of time.

Not only to Rob and company get brought in to train SWAT, HRT, etc, lets not forget the AMU who bring the things that work from competitive shooting back to the boys in uniform to help make them better. And while Rob and company might not have been in a gunfight, I bet you could find a lot of shooters at any given match who have, either in blue or in camo.

The internet (and a lot of the world in general) is filled with a$$hats with opinions that are not far from arguing that the world is flat. I personally find it better not to engage these folks as it is never a dialogue. They are just waiting for you to stop speaking so they can spew some more.

Here is a quote from another forum, in a discussion on the benefits of weaver vs. ISO stance.

""Quote:

Todd Jarrett

Brian Enos

Rob Leatham

Dave Sevigny

All from the world of competition. What conclusions can we draw aside form the fact that Iso is the grip / stance of choice in IPSC?

None of those guys has ever been in a gunfight. What conclusions can we draw aside from the fact that people have also used Iso in gunfights and prevailed proving that "Iso works" to use Yeagers words?""

This guy constantly preaches his holier than thou attitude toward competition shooting. I am getting near my wits end in trying to counter him, before he jades all of the forum members aganist competition shooting. He always brings up "never been a gunfight" rational. FYI, as far as I can tell he has never been in a gun fight either.

I would bet this same guy making this noise, has probably gone to a ipsc match thought he would rule the roost and got his ass handed to him by a c-class shooter. <_<

Yeager who?

Why do we train to shoot so well? Not just to win in competition, I hope, but to make us better pistol shooters in general. Practice, training, is what makes you more likely to suvive should you need to defend yourself with your weapon. (Should you have the misfortune to have to.) Try if you can and remember those things that we know will make us better shooters.

The other stuff from the likes of this, whatshisname will be forgotten or ridiculed for what it is when we see it less and less over time.

"Square-up and open both eyes. Don't close your left, that'll block you vision on that side and make you vulnerable." That's what my old man always said. I used to get so tired of that. :rolleyes:

Another qoute from this guy.

"From what I know and who I know in the training industry, neither Jarret's or Rob's "training gigs" impress me."

Hmmm....I would love to know the details of "what I know and who I know in the training industry". Sounds like he knows one person and they happen to agree with one another.

I know, for a fact, that some of the most quoted, most respected folks teaching new firearms instructors how to do their job are very impressed with both TGO and TJ's "training gigs".

At JT mentioned, I think my sig line might apply here :devil:

"From what I know and who I know in the training industry, neither Jarret's or Rob's "training gigs" impress me."

Hmmm....I would love to know the details of "what I know and who I know in the training industry". Sounds like he knows one person and they happen to agree with one another.

I know, for a fact, that some of the most quoted, most respected folks teaching new firearms instructors how to do their job are very impressed with both TGO and TJ's "training gigs".

At JT mentioned, I think my sig line might apply here :devil:

Ha! I knew someone had that line, but couldn't remember who.... hell to get old and senile. :P

I went to Gunsite several years ago, before I got started in competitive shooting. They taught Weaver, but were in no means dogmatic about it. Our instructor said that if you were more comfortable with Iso. to use that. They were all about the hits.

What stance am I using shooting weakhanded leaning around a barricade? I don't know. I do know sight alignment and trigger control, and seem to fall back on that alot.

Just ignore the guy, invite folks to matches, those who desire to learn will.

In the latest issue of "American Handgunner" there is an interview with Jack Weaver.

The last sentence in the article is Jack saying to the interviewer; "If you find something that works better for you, why, go for it."

I guess that means Jack Weaver would approve Iso if it works. :cheers:

Shot an ISPC match at Range 14/Ft. Bragg a couple of weeks ago. Guess who was there? TGO/Rob

Take it for what it is worth, Range 14 is right beside this big compound surrounded by lots of wire and angry looking guards. Better know has the Compound for Delta Force or so I have heard. Now this match is no big deal, no sponsors, no spectators etc. I will let you draw your on conclusion what TGO was doing there. Of course your buddy who already knows everything knows people in the trainging industry.

I use to waste time on GlockTalk etc with clowns who shoot 50 rounds a year and know it all, I gave it all up and thankfull I found this forum to get true advice from experinced shooters.