Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Sights

bird

I did a search which did not answer my query.

Matt Burkett told me that he favors green whilst Mike Voight says he likes the red/orange color for the fiber optic sight.

It may be that the open shooters favor the red/orange because that is the color of the dot in an open gun.

What color do you like and why.

What color does the human eye see the quickest?

I personally have had good hits with both colors and just plain black sights.

What do you like to look at and why?

Thanks for your help.

bird

If sales are any indicator, I sell mostly red, then green, and yellow a distant third. The eye has color receptors that are different for each person - some people see certain colors better than others and one color will appear brighter than another. Also sometimes it can be of benefit to change the fiber depending on range conditions. Some ranges have a lot of grass and you are shooting against a green background, sometimes stages have a lot of orange mesh and green might show up better. Experiment around to find what works best for you. Make sure you replace the fiber every once and a while when it gets dirty. You will get better light transmission with a clean fiber.

Sorry not to have a definitive answer, but just be sure that your chosen color works with your eye protection, especially if that protection is tinted, whether a single color or sunglasses. I know my prescription sunglasses (dark gray) pick up my green front sight, and it works, so I left it on. I guess I should try the other colors in the package just for grins.

Lee

A lot might have to do with what color your glasses are.

I think that the green color is brighter through the amber lenses in my glasses.

The red fiber seems to get "absorbed" by the similar hue of the amber lens.

When I switched to a FO I tried the red and my shooting tanked big time. I mainly shoot open and the red FO was too much like my dot. I was missing really fast. I talked to Matt at a match and he suggested the switch to green. It cured the problem.

We shoot looking to a sight picture and we assemble this sight picture looking first to the target and then puting the sights on it.

The important is that when the shoot breaks the sight picture must be assembled and so, no matter what color are the sights, we need discipline to focus on the front sight when it is really necessary!

If we have to break a easy shoot don´t need to focus on front sight end then all we need is a sight picture with a good and soft contrast for assure and facilitate to call the shoot.

FO for me is hard brithness and let vision to be tired!

The old and good black front sight is the better idea for me because gives me a clean contrast of sight piocture...

Ramos

i seem to remember in a "science show" that the human eye sees the color green better than any other hue. :mellow: i use green because of a better contrast with the reddish color dirt that makes up my range. ;) red might work better in greener environments/ranges, but who knows? :o try'em both and use the one you like.

While the human eye is technically more sensitive to green, that may only be useful in distinguishing more shades of green from each other than picking up a dot quickly. Think: "Og, this look like poison-plant to you?" "Ugh, no, too light green".

IMHO, green looks nicer on the gun, but if you want to discuss visual accuity, red is the best when shooting outdoors. Ranges with a tree or sky background, red will show up better because of the contrast between the red and the trees. I have not been to a range with red in the backdrop, but I'm shure they exist, so in that case green would be a better contrast. I find that the different colors are not any brighter than the other, it is simply a matter of contrast from the background. When shooting indoors, I find that the green actually shows up better against a black bull on a target.

That is my 2 cents.

bird,

I bought an EGW and it came with both red and green. I spent a couple of days using each in a variety of lighting situations from almost dark to bright full sun and settled on green.

All I want is to be able to “see” the front sight better and the green allows me to do that. The red was TOO visible, in full sun it glowed VERY bright, all I could see was the dot, and the rest of the sight seemed to disappear! Sort of like looking into a red 100-watt light bulb.

Like so much of what we do, there’s no right or wrong, it’s an individual choice.

Ed

Benny:

If you like green sooooooo much and so do I how come that 6" came with red in it??? Well all kidding asside I got the light pipes today thanks!!! Guns down at Tripp's and should be back soon. Thanks..... KURT

I switched to green (from red) and my eyes seem to like it better.

I also like to burn the end to get a big green dot (one that fills up the rear notch) and I have had good luck with it so far.

In practice, it is fun to do mis-alignment drills and see where the shot lands in the A zone--> (from a lost thread here {flex can you help?}).

I prefer to watch the small green dot bouncing up and down as opposed to the red which seemed to wash out on far targets for me anyway..

Thanks for all the help.

Does anybody know what color TGO uses?

In practice, it is fun to do mis-alignment drills and see where the shot lands in the A zone--> (from a lost thread here {flex can you help?}).?

This is all I could find.

(click here)

I don't think it is the thread you are taking about. I am thinking the misalignment thread was started by Pat?

I may be wrong, but I don't think TGO uses a fiber optic. I know I tried them, and they were awesome for close in speed stages. My precision suffered however. Especially on plates.

I went back to iron, and plan on staying there as long as my eyesight permits it. :wacko: