Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi all, especially you Indiana folk!

I have an intreview in Fort Wayne coming up. Since BE Land is "all about the shooting," what can you tell me? My impression is it's a pretty gun friendly state?

Lots of shooting for USPSA/IDPA/3-gun??

It looks like there are a lot of clubs in IN on uspsa.org's club locator. And Ft. Wayne looks close enough to hit matches around Columbus and Dayton, OH which seem pretty active. Good clubs w/in 100 miles of Ft Wayne to join where I can do practical practice (not just shooting from a line, but set up stages, work on transitions, steel, etc)?

Concealed Carry? Reciprocity w/ OH (I have family in OH which is why we are looking to move).

mag capacity limits?

Waiting periods? Gun registration? etc?

Lots of local restrictions??

What about NFA? Can I bring my silencer and SBR? What are the odds of me being able to buy more NFA toys?

Thanks for any input! Living in OH on the border might be an option if it's better for shooters, too... but I hate long daily commutes. I so hope I can get out of MD!

Thank you!!

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Well concidering where you will be moving from it will be like there are no restrictions at all.

I am from ohio so not real sure on all the details but the laws are very similar. No mag limit capacity restrictions, no Gun registration for the state, althrough some cities have registration laws, but Ft Wayne most likely not.

The Ball family lives in that area so maybe Dave or Jane will chime in with details. Like you said lots of matches within 100 miles.

MDA

Indiana laws on concealed carry are good.

Go to local Sheriff, fill out a form that gets processed by the Indiana State Police. Now, you can get a lifetime permit, used to be 3 years. The application is simple, cheap, and background check is done quickly.

With your permit you can walk in any Indiana gun shop (see caveat below) and buy a rifle, shotgun, pistol and walk out of the store with it.

Some Indiana cities (such as Gary) have some odd-ball gun laws that are unique to them---and not the rest of Indiana. Check your city laws.

Come on out and bring ALL your toys. Full autos, suppressors, SBRs are all welcome. As stated we have lifetime carry permits now. Ohio does not reciprocate, but you can get an out of state resident ohio permit. If you already have a permit for Ohio, it shouldnt be a problem, and IN reciprocates all other states. Fort Wayne is a fairly active area shooting wise. There are also a number of good clubs around the Indianapolis area, a couple here in NW IN, and a bunch down south. You may have to drive, but if you are willing, you can always find a match. Gun shows are also regular in Fort Wayne.

Fort Wayne Rifle and Revolver Club in Harlan Indiana. About 10 minutes from town. 100/200/300 yard rifle range. 5 Pistol bays. IPSC etc. Angola is north 22 miles, Warsaw is 45 miles west. All have weekend matches, and they are all on different weekends of the month(1st Sun-2nd Sun-3rd Sun)

Harlan club has practice every Thursday afternoon for IPSC. Indiana is one of the most gun friendly states in the Union. E mail me for any other info you need. Welcome (hope the interview goes well).

Edited by frenchwrench

www.indygunracers.com

Check the Pistol page

It is a pretty great state to live in. I've traveled a lot in the past nine years and have had plenty of opportunities to move but I've decided to stay here (Indianapolis). Cost of living is very reasonable compared to most areas. Property appreciation is moderate, so we aren't subject to the volatility you see in other parts of the country. People are generally nice, schools decent and lots of fun stuff to do even if you are not pulling a trigger.

Another thing a lot of people don't consider is how convenient it is to so many places. You can be in Baltimore/DC in <10 hours, Atlanta in 8, Chicago in 4, St Louis in 4, Nashville in 5, Columbus, OH in 4, etc.

I think this fits in the thread. Just got back visiting Purdue with Austin. He really liked it so its a good possibility he will go there. How is the law concerning 18-21 yr olds. Any clubs close to Lafayette as they wont allow him to have a car the first year.

Just a question from a foreigner: How in thee hell do you guys keep abreast of all the changes. Now I live in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Province. I embark on an Iron butt tripp with my bike covering all 9 provinces during a long weekend. By the end of the weekend I have driven some 5000 Km through all the Provinces and everytime a cop stops me he has the same powers and after comparing my firearm license with the gun lets me bugger off. In front of a school, in a church in a shopping mall all the towns all the Provinces. If my gun is showing he tells me to cover it or get arrested.(Carrying open carries a 2 year jail sentence)

Now in America it seems like you could get yourself deeply immersed in brown stuff every time you cross a imaginary line on the map somewhere. So you get stopped and told that you are within two miles from a school in some state far away form your state`s laws. How would you know if you have never been there before? You Governor or sheriff or Marchall or whatever said it was quit OK to be carrying but this other guy says no way. Even if you knew about his rules, where would you put your piece until you get to the next piece of ground where you are allowed to carry?

If a cop chases a criminal does he really stop at the border if the guy he is chasing crosses it and if he does stop what does he do when the guy shows him the "Brown Eye" after he crossed the imaginary line?

If you legally own a full auto and moves can you take the gun with you even if you are not allowed to own a full auto at your new home? Do you have a right to property enshrined in your constitution like we do?

I just think that you guys live in a very mixed up country with a bewildering array of laws. In Africa we have it a lot easier. When the cop asks you for your firearm license you just hand him a R100-00 note and drive off.

• 3 weeks later...

A very sincere THANK YOU everyone for the info in this thread.

I fly out this weekend to have a formal interview on Monday.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I like them, they like me, and they like me enough to pay me decent. :rolleyes:

Seems like a good area to live with the ability to live in a rural setting, low cost of living, nearer to family, and LOTS of shooting.

Here's hoping! :cheers:

-rvb

Just a question from a foreigner: How in thee hell do you guys keep abreast of all the changes. Now I live in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Province. I embark on an Iron butt tripp with my bike covering all 9 provinces during a long weekend. By the end of the weekend I have driven some 5000 Km through all the Provinces and everytime a cop stops me he has the same powers and after comparing my firearm license with the gun lets me bugger off. In front of a school, in a church in a shopping mall all the towns all the Provinces. If my gun is showing he tells me to cover it or get arrested.(Carrying open carries a 2 year jail sentence)

Now in America it seems like you could get yourself deeply immersed in brown stuff every time you cross a imaginary line on the map somewhere. So you get stopped and told that you are within two miles from a school in some state far away form your state`s laws. How would you know if you have never been there before? You Governor or sheriff or Marchall or whatever said it was quit OK to be carrying but this other guy says no way. Even if you knew about his rules, where would you put your piece until you get to the next piece of ground where you are allowed to carry?

Staying out of places where you get in trouble is the best bet if you want to obey the law. Otherwise it is dissembled, and in a locked case in the trunk and that may still get you arrested if they have probable cause to search or get around that somehow.

If a cop chases a criminal does he really stop at the border if the guy he is chasing crosses it and if he does stop what does he do when the guy shows him the "Brown Eye" after he crossed the imaginary line?

If you legally own a full auto and moves can you take the gun with you even if you are not allowed to own a full auto at your new home? Do you have a right to property enshrined in your constitution like we do? Don't know the full auto answer. Yes property is protected by the Constitution. That is one of the reasons slavery lasted so long. If the Supreme Court rules on the second amendment properly this may all get better as we have that in the Consitution as well.

I just think that you guys live in a very mixed up country with a bewildering array of laws. In Africa we have it a lot easier. When the cop asks you for your firearm license you just hand him a R100-00 note and drive off.

Our laws are far too numerous and arranged poorly and the variety of state laws on firearms remind me of the Articles of Confereation which only lasted six years. But in this day and age firarms laws being terrible seems to be irrelevant to much of the population. I would like to see the first amendmet treated as the second amendment gets treated and listen for the public outcry.

Well, my interview went extremely well (a 6.5 hour interview!). I should know in a week or two if I'll get an offer and if every thing's agreeable, things will happen fast, I'm sure.

For those who know the Ft. Wayne area ... if I lived, oh, 25 minutes west of 69, what are the odds of finding a property where I could build a practice pit? (in regards to discharging firearms laws and having enough room between neighbors that it wouldn't have them coming to hang me. Where I could chrono and sight in guns and maybe get in a few minutes of live practice the week before a match). Or are there good ranges close enough I shouldn't worry about it? Searching home listings I've already seen one house for sale that listed having a shooting range.

Also, I saw somewhere else it mentioned that if you don't have a carry permit, you still have to have a "target permit" or something to be able to legally transport your gun to a range (even un-loaded and in the trunk)??????

Thanks,

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Well, my interview went extremely well (a 6.5 hour interview!). I should know in a week or two if I'll get an offer and if every thing's agreeable, things will happen fast, I'm sure.

For those who know the Ft. Wayne area ... if I lived, oh, 25 minutes west of 69, what are the odds of finding a property where I could build a practice pit? (in regards to discharging firearms laws and having enough room between neighbors that it wouldn't have them coming to hang me. Where I could chrono and sight in guns and maybe get in a few minutes of live practice the week before a match). Or are there good ranges close enough I shouldn't worry about it? Searching home listings I've already seen one house for sale that listed having a shooting range.

Also, I saw somewhere else it mentioned that if you don't have a carry permit, you still have to have a "target permit" or something to be able to legally transport your gun to a range (even un-loaded and in the trunk)??????

Thanks,

-rvb

No you can transport unload and locked in trunk without permit.

No you can transport unload and locked in trunk without permit.

Someone refered me to this link this morning where I found the following:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

I've cut out the unrelavant exceptions that definately would not apply to me (leo, mil, etc).

IC 35-47-2

Chapter 2. Regulation of Handguns

IC 35-47-2-1

Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery

Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (B) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

IC 35-47-2-2

Excepted persons

Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

In section 4 I see:

A qualified license shall be issued for hunting and target practice.

I intend to get a carry permit, but I do find this curious especially since I'm sure there'll be a few months between the time I get there and the time I'd have a permit in hand.

Thanks!

-rvb

Edited by rvb