Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm AR 15

mwx40x40

Is it safe to run 9mm Major loads in 9mm AR 15 platforms? Normal max loads for 115 fmj's (non+P) shoot pretty flat out to 100 yds. I was wondering if it is okay to push them a little harder. If I could, stretch it into a flat shooter out to 150 or 200 yds. I have plenty of HS6 and HS7 on hand to load with.

I shoot major 9 in my RRA

dont use lead....it will gum up the comp or flash hider REAL BAD

major loads can move the mag adaptor block...so make sure its tight

some loads are hard on the ejector...dont get carried away

I have shot a couple k rounds in mine with no problems...not even a swelled case.

Jim

Is it safe to run 9mm Major loads in 9mm AR 15 platforms? Normal max loads for 115 fmj's (non+P) shoot pretty flat out to 100 yds. I was wondering if it is okay to push them a little harder. If I could, stretch it into a flat shooter out to 150 or 200 yds. I have plenty of HS6 and HS7 on hand to load with.

oh yeah. it works just fine. the slower the powder the better. I wouldnt try anything heavier than 124/125.

I have the same question about a CX4 Storm carbine, I was going to do a conversion kit but I use a 92 FS and figured it would be nice to share mags with my pisol and rifle, also 30 round mags work nice in my pistol on those occasions I can get away with it.

Don't recall if it was major, but I loaded up 115 Montana JHPs over N350 and the charge was .2 grn over the max listed in V V 's current manual for 115 jacketed. I used 1x fired Hirtenberger brass.

Here are the issues though:

-action on my Colt 9mm is straight blow-back. Thus, there is NOTHING holding the case in the chamber other than the mass of the bolt and the return spring. That type of action is a far cry from any locked breach action like a 1911 or a CZ; thus, please approach major with caution and check brass for bulging. I have seen bulging occur on other blow backs like the Uzi we used to rent before our range/store burned down.

-you might check to make sure you have enough mass behind that hot round: the Colt 9mm in factory trim uses a much heavier buffer than the standard carbines; you can buy one that is heavier still: the "H" buffer. More mass and strong brass should keep you out of trouble.

the Colt 9mm in factory trim uses a much heavier buffer than the standard carbines; you can buy one that is heavier still: the "H" buffer. More mass and strong brass should keep you out of trouble.

You can get an even heavier buffer if you want. The one that is made by Hahn for the Cav Arms .45 aCP AR15 that uses grease gun mags.

Hahn Buffer

Neal

anybody here knows which factory ammo will be making the minor factor ?

I have a Colt 9mm with a 16 inch barrel

I have a 6450 Colt with a 16" barrel, too. And I got minor PF with Magtech 147 grains FMJ, marked "subsonic".

Don't recall if it was major, but I loaded up 115 Montana JHPs over N350 and the charge was .2 grn over the max listed in V V 's current manual for 115 jacketed. I used 1x fired Hirtenberger brass.

Here are the issues though:

-action on my Colt 9mm is straight blow-back. Thus, there is NOTHING holding the case in the chamber other than the mass of the bolt and the return spring. That type of action is a far cry from any locked breach action like a 1911 or a CZ; thus, please approach major with caution and check brass for bulging. I have seen bulging occur on other blow backs like the Uzi we used to rent before our range/store burned down.

-you might check to make sure you have enough mass behind that hot round: the Colt 9mm in factory trim uses a much heavier buffer than the standard carbines; you can buy one that is heavier still: the "H" buffer. More mass and strong brass should keep you out of trouble.

My experience shooting major PF loads, is that the inner parts of the lower receiver become full of dirt...and that´s it.

The mags are pretty short...no room for much over 9mm oal

jim

My Major 9 loads for my Para are 1.170 OAL with 124 gr fmj Star bullets. They work in my Colt and modified UZI mags.

Craig

I now recall shooting Hirtenberger L7A1 out of mine - it is factory 9Major with a 124. Also recall that if pressures get too high, blow back guns will sometimes show blown out primers - as in the case is ejected with the spent primer missing completely.

• 2 months later...
anybody here knows which factory ammo will be making the minor factor ?

I have a Colt 9mm with a 16 inch barrel

I get 152, 153 PF out of my Sabre Defense XR15 (16") with Fiocchi 123gr. FMJ "Combat".

The mentioned 147 gr. Subsonic Magtech didnt make Minor Power Factor.

Anybody has some loading data for a 115gr. Bullet and Hodgdon Powder (Minor Factor)?

Which Hodgdon Powder is the right one?

Want to install a Comp on my 16" Barrel and want to have a Powder that gives the Comp something to work....

I did some chrono last week on my 16 inch sabre 9mm upper

Fiochi 115grs PF 153,5

S & B 140grs subsonics PF 124.6

Geco 115 grs PF 130.9

Speer Lawman 124 grs PF 148.9

PMC 115grs PF 169.2 :surprise::surprise::surprise:

These are all the lowest PF out of 3 rounds ,the fiochi's group the best at 100 meters on my rifle the PMC had an average of 172

FYI, Factory Winchester SXT 127gr. +P+ does 1400 fps out of a 16" Ruger PC-9 carbine 177.8 PF

and

Not all factory ammo increases velocity just because you shoot it out of a carbine barrel.

Edited by BPiatt

I found major loads to seriously bulge brass in my blowback Mech-Tech and another shooter reported some case blowouts The good thing is 'minor' loads made IPSC rifle minor out of the long barrel.

FYI, Factory Winchester SXT 127gr. +P+ does 1400 fps out of a 16" Ruger PC-9 carbine 177.8 PF

and

Not all factory ammo increases velocity just because you shoot it out of a carbine barrel.

Excellent observation. Bottom line here is you can not expect 223 performance from a 9mm and stay on the safe side of town.