Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S_I 2011 in 45 ACP

srf

I'm addicted to S_I 2011 platform (there, I've said it. The first step to cure is admitting you have a problem :unsure: ).

I've always wanted one in 45 acp primarily for home protection and secondarily as a Limited 10 or CDP platform. I've spoken to a couple of 'smiths that felt the 45 is not as reliable as other calibers due to magazines issues. I really like 2011 magazines and the big mag funnels in these pistols. My 9, 38S, and 40's, work perfectly. I want that in a 45. If you shoot a S_I in 45 I'd really appreciate your input. Any 'smiths that have any info they'd like to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Questions for anyone with experience with S_I double stacks in 45 acp:

Is your S_I 100% reliable?

Is the barrel ramped or not (if yes - what cut?)?

Do you use STI or SVI mags?

Thanks!

Edited by srf

I own an STI Edge in .45 acp.

I bought it with the idea of making it the ultimate L10 gun.

In Limited 10, capacity is fixed and there is no round count advantage for the 40 as there would be in limited.

When the two cartridges are on equal footing in capacity, I tend to favor the 45.

You can make major with about any powder you care to use and it is a low pressure round which is more forgiving of temp variations, OAL, etc.

I also like the large magwell advantage over a single stack.

When I first got the gun I did run into some reliability problems.

I started out with Montana Gold 200 gr jacketed, which is extremely accurate but didn't want to feed reliably.

I think most of the problem was magazines that didn't lock into the gun high enough.

I decided to buy a set of tuned mags from Bevin Grams and things got better but still had some issues.

Went back to 230 gr round nose bullets which ran fine but I discovered that the gun would go to slide lock with a round still in the mag.

I tried taking some material off the slide lock but couldn't take enough off to correct the problem.

Then I simply ground the followers back so that they couldn't engage the slide lock at all.

This seemed to work but now it is like my limited gun in that it won't lock open when empty.

I have another set of mags with the original STI springs and followers that is set up for slide lock.

The gun now runs just fine with 230 gr round nose ammo.

It just took some time and tinkering to get there.

Edited by 38superman

I have 2 Paras in .45 with welded on magwells (had them built before Dawson came out with his ICE magwell). With tuned mags I have and will stake my life on them.

I have no experience with SI but IMHO they should work as good or better in .45 since the 1911 pattern was designed around the .45.

Edited by chirpy

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48275&hl=sti+eagle

I have 2 Paras in .45 with welded on magwells (had them built before Dawson came out with his ICE magwell). With tuned mags I have and will stake my life on them.

I have no experience with SI but IMHO they should work as good or better in .45 since the 1911 pattern was designed around the .45.

here is a good topic on the STI..http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48275&hl=sti+eagle over in the idpa section....

Edited by GmanCdp

I have a STI Eagle in .45 ACP. At first I had some functioning problems with it but after running some rounds through it and makign sure my ammo is loaded to the correct length (shorter OAL than for a SS) it now runs fine and shoots awesome.

Neal in AZ

I have a STI Eagle in .45 ACP. At first I had some functioning problems with it but after running some rounds through it and makign sure my ammo is loaded to the correct length (shorter OAL than for a SS) it now runs fine and shoots awesome.

Neal in AZ

What length are you loading 230 RN?

Remington Factory runs around 1.260

That is where I normally start when working up a load.

I have one built on an SV frame with a Caspian slide that will eat anything you feed it. It has a ramped barrel and 5 Dawson tuned and numbered mags. I think the 45s are easy to keep running, never had a mag problem or feeding/ejection problem.

Flawed logic there -- the widebody 1911/2011s are not anywhere close to the same as the single-stacks. Brian made a post years ago, ranking the reliability of the various configurations with the .45 SS at the top of the list followed by the .40 widebody, IIRC, with all other variations dropping to third or lower.....

My first 45 STI was built for me by Les Baer in the beginning when frames only were available from STI and after figuring out it had a extractor problem it has been faithful since.I shot it in the beginng in USPSA before I changed to 40cal and still shoot it in limited 10 type matches.

My second 45 STI built by Benny Hill for a Thunder Ranch course I went to Last June worked from day one not a single problem.Only reason I didnt use my Baer STI was I wanted a standard length light railed dust cover for TR when shooting in the shoot house in the dark.

My Third 45 STI finally showed up in DEC of last year built by Ross Carter it being a alloy framed short dust cover with light rail also.Only have a couple of hundred rounds through it so far but no hiccups yet not even one.My concept for this one is to have the ultimate duty,home defence,and carry gun when full size is practical and keep capacity and weight near or same as other good choices not of 1911 design like Glock,M&P,and XD.

Obviously I take acception to what those gun smiths are telling you.

I only say that the 1911 pattern was designed around the .45 because it was. Para designed its widebody around the .45 because the .40 S&W wasn't around yet. The STI and SV might have been designed around the .40 but I'm not sure the exact time frame of design but I do know the advantages of the .40 were not realized until the high cap mags were tweeked with extra round base pads...flawed thinking maybe.

I bought a commander length .45 with a Wilson barrel from either this forum, or the USPSA forum a few years ago with the same ideas, but our Governer vetos every piece of concealed carry paper that passes his desk.

I've shot it at a few matches, including our state IDPA match in 2006 without any issues, but, I have been considering selling it because I got a smoking deal on an Eagle in .45 which has only another 1/2" sight radius, but, it does a better job of pissing off my fellow S.O.s because with a magwell it barely fits in the "box". :mellow::mellow:

I have a .45 sti with a Lea Baer slide that I have been shooting for 2-3years. I have both sv and st mags that I use in it, and now they all work fine. When I first bought the gun it had a sv mag release in it and I had some feeding problems, now it has a sti release and no problems. I still prefer the sv mags as they seem to be tougher. My .45 has a wilson ramp barrel and after some early issues has been very reliable. I geneerally shoot 200gr. semi-wad cutters with no problems.

I shot and STI Edge 5.0 in .45 for the 1st 3 yrs in USPSA. My STI Edge was built by STI - meaning they built the gun, put the parts together, etc. (ie Stock STI-built gun).

It was during the ban so mags were STI as that was all that was available (legally). Tubes, when replaced, were STI that were made by STI. Had them tuned by Bevin & used his mag springs. Ramp cut was the only one available on STI: Nowlin/Wilson.

It was never 100% reliable. Sold it in 2003. Sent mags to Bevin who turned them into .40 mags. Bought an SV and built a .40 top for it - it runs well.