Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet another ammo price complaint

Ben Stoeger

The new price for 1000 rds of blazer 9mm is $165 (this is expected to rise soon).

Last year at this time I was at $125 a case.

In order for me to get enough practice ammo, I decided to take a premature distribution from my IRA I have been saving since I was 14 years old (I am 23 now). What strikes me as odd about this is I am sure I am doing the right thing, I just never thought I would come to raiding my retirement fund to afford a few extra cases of ammo.

I can't wait to get done with school and get a real job, so I can make enough money to shoot.

I have no idea how the forum members with kids can even afford to shoot!

Laters,

Ben

Dang Ben- maybe you should reload? Better than cashing in the retirement! :blink: I just got a Marvel .22 unit to help cut the costs, but I will still practice at least once a week with full power loads. I thought the Airsoft would be the way to go- but don't think it will hold up to the 1800+ rounds a week practice I am planning. Three kids and a wife definitely make it tough- but they're worth it though! :)

I don't see how people can even afford to shoot anymore period. My last match was the Natl's last year and will never shoot outside of my home club again, I just refuse to pay upwards of $1000 just to go to an Area or Nationals. So I guess I finally woke up and realized the cost-to-benefit was too outta whack ;)

I don't shoot outside of club matches, and haven't in the past. Ammo and time are both too precious to spend. The hard part for me is that I am at or very near the level that my natural ability can provide, to get past this level I need to practice and I am not willing to do it due to the other sacrifices I would have to make to accommodate the practice.

Farm and Fleet just had Blazer on sale for $7.00/box, which is much cheaper than Natchez. We call the store manger and order as many cases as we want and they usually leave it on the pallet for us, and forklift it right into the truck.

You can call the corporate buyer in Sporting Goods, his name is Andy, at times when ammo is not on sale and he can usually make a deal on bulk quantities, and then send it to the store where you can avoid shipping charges. They expect a price increase at the end of the month, so now would be a good time.

We were also able to pick up 20,000 rounds of Winchester White Box at Bass Pro Shops for $13.49/100 last week on a raincheck Julie had. I think they lost money on that deal. And it's brass!

Gander will also match other stores prices, we used this last year for .40 S&W. Bass Pro had it on sale but they were out, drove to Kenosha and picked up 10,000 at Gander, they were forced to price match because they were less than 50 miles away... They ended up dropping their price over $10.00/box/hundred.

Do you have any friends that shoot and don't reload? The smart way to go would be to split the cost of a Dillon loader and reload. When you shoot up the ammo you buy you will be back in the same boat. Just a thought.

Maybe next year when I have my own place I will get a reloader...

I hear ya, 7 months ago my bullets were 67/1000 they are 91/1000 now, we won't even talk primers. I just wish some of the match directors would catch on and lower the fees a little. With state match fees ranging from $35 (Minn.) to $135 (SC) and area matches going from $60 (Area 7) to $245 (Area 2), somebody, maybe me, is definitely missing something! Sorry for the thread drift.

I have three kids ...the youngest is six years older than you are. I didn't start competition shooting until I was 34

I remember Clearly when I started driving a car and I drove my dad to the local hamburger hang-out.

He said " A! Hamburger,! IS NOT Worth a Dollar!" ....I was buying with money I made working as a carpenter helper.

Ben,

I feel your pain - today I went to the local firearm shop to get some CCI Mini Mags (22lr) - as it's what runs well in my Tactical Solutions 22lr conv kit.

The cost was $7.99 a box! I almost felt violated.

I was able to work out a deal with the owner for a better price - but it's even expensive to shoot rimfire ammo.

Read my lips- RELOAD, you have to.

I agree, but still. The prices of components have gone up dramatically.

Everything over here is about 30% more expensive over the last 2 years... I wonder how long it will take until they find an alternative/solution for this crap.

Edited by spook

Everything over here is about 30% more expensive over the last 2 years... I wonder how long it will take until they find an alternative/solution for this crap.

I don't think they have to figue anything out except that the people will pay for it so even if cost goes down in the future the prices will stay high.

Just like gasoline, if oil went down th 35.00 a barrel, I think gas would still be over 1.99 gallon or more.

I don't think they have to figue anything out except that the people will pay for it so even if cost goes down in the future the prices will stay high.

Just like gasoline, if oil went down th 35.00 a barrel, I think gas would still be over 1.99 gallon or more.

Yes, but they're switching to hybrids etc. I expect no more gasoline cars somewhere in 2050, maybe earlier. They should come up with a "heavy artificial projectile" we can use as bullets. Polymer bullets :)

Hate to say it, but buy all you can now because there is no good market reason to believe transportation costs, and commodities costs, will soon fall.

China and India are making money---and their people are demanding things like food, and things that use copper, lead, other metals.

Every sale is a buying day.

I don't see how people can even afford to shoot anymore period. My last match was the Natl's last year and will never shoot outside of my home club again, I just refuse to pay upwards of $1000 just to go to an Area or Nationals. So I guess I finally woke up and realized the cost-to-benefit was too outta whack ;)

+1