Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTH Happened at BGSL to shut down all the ranges?

When I lived in Kerrville, learned of the story about the FBI using the range in Kerrville...

They brought over 25 or so guys and asked the gun club guys to leave so they could practice their "black ops" stuff..short story is that during their practice one of their guys let about half a mag of MP5 rounds get over the berm and one round shot a guy riding a dozer at the land fill about a third of a mile away...

Closed down that range also....and of course the FBI denied it till the forensics showed that the slug came from one of their subguns....LOL

Here in Tampa we had about the same thing happen. We had the Tampa Police Rifle & Pistol Club. They had a public line that was fully baffled and numerous unbaffled ranges where matches and "qualified" shooters were allowed to shoot. Fortunately, they allowed the "Action Pistol" group to qualify to use the open ranges. One afternoon a group of FBI/ATF guys showed up with an assortment of full auto gear. The started shooting our plate racks and pepper poppers full auto. You could literally see a stream of deflected rounds exiting the range as the poppers and plates were driven down. That incident alone did not close the range, but focused attention on the range that led to it's eventual demise.

The same thing happened to our Lakeland Florida Police range.

When I lived in Kerrville, learned of the story about the FBI using the range in Kerrville...

They brought over 25 or so guys and asked the gun club guys to leave so they could practice their "black ops" stuff..short story is that during their practice one of their guys let about half a mag of MP5 rounds get over the berm and one round shot a guy riding a dozer at the land fill about a third of a mile away...

Closed down that range also....and of course the FBI denied it till the forensics showed that the slug came from one of their subguns....LOL

And heard today the guy who claims to have the bullets in his buildings has been there for 14 years and wants to sell his land. I voiced my opposition to the closing since there was no proof it came from the club. He is 4000 ft downrange of the general shooting range. They are going to put in steel tubes(10k cost) for the general range and hopefully open the rest back up. There is an emergency meeting Tuesday night where the IPSC pits and Bullseye range will be discussed. The rounds were said to be all .223. SO the long range rifle range which is next to the general range may be at risk also. This is a 1400 acre complex.

He is 4000 ft downrange of the general shooting range.

Most pistol rounds will come down within 650 yards of a backstop (regardless of what they say the max range is). This is even shorter if they have hit anything at all - even a glancing blow. Rifle is a different story - specially if over the berm. 2 out of 3 clubs I belong to had rounds get off the range. One was a shot into the ground from a .45 that bounced over the berm and came almost straight down about 200 yards behind the backstop so slow that the neighbor saw it coming down in his field. Usually the heavier pistol bullets will do this more than the faster light ones which if they hit anything tend to break apart. Since the berms were very high this did not result in a problem, but we became acutely aware of low targets.

The other club is still virtually shut down because of rifle rounds which got out. The berms were just too low. They are talking about baffles for pistol and concrete shooting tubes for the rifle.

By the way there are only 2 kinds of ranges those that have had a round get out and those that will - it all depends on what is behind the backstop.

<snip>One was a shot into the ground from a .45 that bounced over the berm and came almost straight down about 200 yards behind the backstop so slow that the neighbor saw it coming down in his field. <un-snip>

Ah....you sure about that :huh:

Yep, bay was gravel over mud with a high berm. Bullet bounced off the ground nicked the top of the berm and came back down. This is a very common occurrence with low shots - geometry is a bitch.

Here in Tampa we had about the same thing happen. We had the Tampa Police Rifle & Pistol Club. They had a public line that was fully baffled and numerous unbaffled ranges where matches and "qualified" shooters were allowed to shoot. Fortunately, they allowed the "Action Pistol" group to qualify to use the open ranges. One afternoon a group of FBI/ATF guys showed up with an assortment of full auto gear. The started shooting our plate racks and pepper poppers full auto. You could literally see a stream of deflected rounds exiting the range as the poppers and plates were driven down. That incident alone did not close the range, but focused attention on the range that led to it's eventual demise.

The same thing happened to our Lakeland Florida Police range.

Federal agents pulled the same stupidity at a private club in this area some time back - fired a sub gun at steel, launched rounds over the berm & denied it when the SHTF.

At my own club in neighboring MD, the club leadership was approached by a local LEO SERT team with a request to use our bays.

I am thankful to our leadership that they told .gov to get bent - especially considering the fact that as a civilian, I once practiced/shot at the San Quentin, CA prison range, the Baltimore County police range, and Fort Meade pistol range (all of which I help pay for with my tax $$$) and all of which have LONG been closed to civilian USPSA shooters.

Anyone else see how backwards this situation is? Who works for who? Who pays here? :angry2:

All is not lost. I have commitments that we will have our RO Class, and our USPSA, IDPA, and SASS matches back open real soon, the meeting is Tuesday night, and I think we will prevail. There are some concerns that may or may not be valid, so they have to be treated as real for now. The long term solutions will be costly and slow, but if our matches are saved, we are still in business, but in sleep mode. Let's not overreact just yet, though some think I did by rallying the troops.

• 1 month later...
Please tell me this wasn't at Bluegrass.

Yes, it was at Bluegrass. Think positive thoughts and hope it all works out. ;)

Unfortunately so far it hasn't. The rifle range is closed, the general range has been replaced by two shooting bays with tubes to shoot down and a wall obscuring everything else. The general purpose range is also only open on weekends. Pistol events in the pits can still happen, but who knows how long that's going to last. They have allowed some practice at the pits, but you have to have a certified range officer hanging on to your belt during the four or six hours a week they're allowing members to use them.

Unfortunately so far it hasn't. The rifle range is closed, the general range has been replaced by two shooting bays with tubes to shoot down and a wall obscuring everything else. The general purpose range is also only open on weekends. Pistol events in the pits can still happen, but who knows how long that's going to last. They have allowed some practice at the pits, but you have to have a certified range officer hanging on to your belt during the four or six hours a week they're allowing members to use them.

Agree, sounds pretty bleak. It's a tough standard: "Guarantee that NO rounds can leave the property."

Don't think it's achievable anywhere.

Agree, sounds pretty bleak. It's a tough standard: "Guarantee that NO rounds can leave the property."

Don't think it's achievable anywhere.

It is absolutely achievable, you just keep people from shooting. They're doing a pretty good job of that!