JPL 9mm 1911

UW Mitch

John let me photo this gun that he built for Sue:

sue001_01.jpg

sue001_02.jpg

sue001_03.jpg

sue001_04.jpg

Here's what John posted on the NWPPA forum about this gun:

Sue has wanted a 9mm Singlestack for quite a while and we talked alot about what she wanted on it and what I thought should be included. She made every decision on what was done, I just gave her some options. This has taken me a little over a year from the time I got the frame until it was completed. I worked on it when I had time around other projects (not much!).

Some details:

Caspian frame and slide

Schuemann Classic barrel 9x19

S&A flat magwell

Ed Brown safeties, extractor and mag catch

Extreme Engineering trigger parts

EGW ejector, slide stop, bushing and collar reverse plug for a bushing

BoMar rear and Dawson front sight

SV ITS short curved trigger

Ahrends Dymondwood Raspberry grips

DuraCoat HK Black finish

The frame is checkered 25 lpi. The slide is flat topped and serrated 40 lpi in an "Arrow" pattern, the bottom edges have a 30 deg. bevel on them and the top of the flat is "french bordered". The rear of the slide and the sight blade are serrated at 50 lpi. to match the original serrations in the BoMar. The cocking serrations are my Signature panel cut. (Traditionalists probably won't like them but they work/grip better than anything else I've tried.) The magwell was opened up to match the frame and not "blended" so that i could get a good radius match to the front strap. The checkering on the magwell was pointed up so that there is "grip", both front and back.

Hope you enjoyed the pics! I know it was hard to give the gun back to him!!!

~Mitch

I have always kind of wanted one of John's guns, but after spending some time photoing this one, and really getting to scrutinize all the detail things, it really put me over the top!

You know that VW Bettle commerical from a number of years back, where it's this guy with a little bettle on his head and as he goes through the day it just keeps growing and growing. That's me, but with a JPL Open gun :D

~Mitch

That is an amazing gun! Absolutely beautiful. Sue is a very lucky woman to have such a beautiful gun.

I also am lucky enough to have had John build me a 9mm major open gun and it also is a thing of beauty - if I could take pictures like Mitch I'd post them here; in fact maybe John could get Mitch to take a couple and post them.

If anyone is considering having a pistol built, you cannot do better than to work with John. He listened to what I wanted as a novice open shooter, let me try several of his guns, made many suggestions and answered all of my questions patiently, then built me a better gun than I could have hoped for, when promised.

The only thing I regret is that it took me so long to share this with you on this board and that I didn't think to order a carry gun from him last summer - it's probably not too late! Thanks John! Will

• 1 month later...