Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best solution for cold weather shooting?

atek3

I read all the threads relating to cold-weather gloves and the responses seemed to fall into a few categories.

1) Wear heavy gloves, take them off to shoot.

2) Wear medium gloves, accept some loss of dexterity.

3) wear light gloves, accept having cold fingers.

4) Move some place that doesn't get so cold.

At the SHOT show I saw some electric gloves. very cool, but not ideal for shooting. All the gloves had equal insulation on all the fingers and equal padding surroundin the fingers.

Why not make a pair of electric gloves that had less insulation on the pads of the index finger and thumb. and made up for it with heating elements behind the finger. The gloves would have wires that ran up your sleeves to a LiON power source and would be controlable by an electronic rheostat. Basically you'd have great dexterity and warm fingers.

Assuming they were priced in the same range as regular electrified gloves, would anyone be interested?

atek3

Edited by atek3

I like to keep some essential parts of my body warm. For me, bald guy, I wear a beanie and a scarf. This keeps me pretty warm entirely, which also helps to keep my hands warmer.

To specifically keep my hands warm, I use handwarmers.

#4 rocks!

Edited by spook

For me, the cold weather solution is to wear gauntlet-style

mitts with skintight cotton gloves inside. At the LAMR I toss

the mitts and carry on. My guns have lots of grip tape so

there is no worry that the cotton gloves won't stick. The

difficulty is re-adjusting my grip as the cotton glove grip tape

method works almost too well.

Glen

I think what Spook said is very relevant.

When the body core gets cold, it "pushes" colder blood out to the extremities so it can keep the part that will actually allow you to live (the body core) warmer.

Wool hats, long underwear, and I am a huge advocate of UnderArmour coldgear (or other compression if you prefer other brands). The trick is to keep the core warm.

Wear the gloves as well obviously. But unless a stage description has mandated it, I've never shot with a glove. Didn't matter how cold my paws were.

I'm with spook (and I'm not bald). Keeping the core warm is the top priority. Then focus on the hands and fingers as needed.

J

Buy a decent pair of gloves or mittens made for snowmobiling. We shoot up here regularly in 5 degree weather, and I don't remember my hands ever being that cold. Just unglove right about the time the RO is yelling next shooter.

Mad Glocker and Glen touch on what I have concerns about - gloves change your grip on the gun, your feel of the trigger, the effective length of the trigger and its break, and how the gun moves in the hand, as well as a million other things I'm sure I haven't imagined yet.

Perhaps its different for folks with big hands, but with small hands I have trouble with all above w/o anything covering my hands. To minimize problems I go bare handed. Of course, in California I might get wet occasionally, but have no concerns about freezing flesh to steel...

I wear gloves before the shooting and take them off while shooting.

[joke mode on]

If your hands get cold while you are shooting then you are not shooting fast enough. I find that a gun can make an excellent hand warmer when shot fast enough.

[joke mode off/]

Buy a decent pair of gloves or mittens made for snowmobiling. We shoot up here regularly in 5 degree weather, and I don't remember my hands ever being that cold. Just unglove right about the time the RO is yelling next shooter.

+1

strip off the gloves / mittens before LAMR and leave you hat ON while you shoot.

Mittens are much better for heat retention than gloves, looking for something for practice, that is the tough question.

What are you wearing for other clothing? Hat, shirt, jacket, shoes? Adding some clothing in one area might help with the overall "staying warm" equation.

5 degees? What? Was there a heatwave I wasn't aware of Ledge?

:blink:

In cold weather I used to keep my pistol bagged with a hand warmer next to the front strap. Other hand warmers were in my pockets to keep my hands warm. The front strap of the pistol stayed warm long enough to get me through LAMR and the start whisle (pre-timer days). I don't do cold anymore.

+1 to the UA Coldgear. With a t-shirt and fleece over it. Long underwear under the jeans, heavy wool socks under the boots. I used to do the handwarmers-in-mittens thing but a couple of months ago I got a Mr Heater Portable Buddy propane heater and that thing is a GODSEND for keeping fingers from freezing while loading mags! :wub:

I never shoot with gloves, jacket, coat etc. on. Always take them off when I am the shooter for safetey and consistancy. Gloves can really be a pain in a-- when doing duties especialy brassing and taping. A couple of years ago I bought one of the "pouches" used by NFL quartebacks. Put a couple of handwarmers inside and your hands will be sweating. Very easy to do duties and when your turn to shoot just spin it around behind you out of the way

MVZ

I have a pair of these. They have Thinsulate and Gore-Tex, so they definitely have the "warm & dry" part covered.

Well, I think it's those ... mine are at least five years old and have neoprene-only for the thumb and index finger. They do the job fairly well---the insulated fingers are very warm (for gloves that aren't gauntlets), and the thumb and forefinger have decent dexterity, and some warmth (but they do get cold faster than the others). You do get a noticable drop from bare hands/cotton gloves, but also a noticable improvement from my other Cabela's hunting gloves (fully insulated). A little pricey, I guess; I didn't know because I was a teenager at the time and lucky enough to have my dad buying me whatever gear he thought I should have.

Anyway, I have to agree with everyone who said the priority is a warm core. Keep that up, and the rest should follow pretty easily.

-- John.