Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warren Tactical , Sevigny, or Heine for Glock 34?

Calmwater

Hey,

Just picked up my glock 34 on Sunday. Really happy so far, but I already know I am not crazy about stock glock sights. This will be mainly a competition pistol. I am thinking of a plain black warren tactical series or Sevigny rear with a tritium front. The other option would probably be Heine straight eights or slant pro straight eights. Can they all be changed with a hex wrench and a glock rear sight tool? Is there a general consensus about which would be more accurate at distance or is it more individual preference? Thanks.

Your topic title states your selling something? Or is that Warren Tactical sights? :mellow: Search the Glock Forum for Sevigny sights. Tons of good info. I run the Warren/Sevigny Competition set on the G35 and I prefer them over all others. It is a personal preference.

Jim M

Hello: I had a set of the Savigny sights on a Glock 34 and did not like them. The rear rear notch is too wide for me. I just installed them on a Glock 22 and they seem better but I have not shot it yet. I like the Dawson adjustables with a 0.100 wide front fiber sight with green insert (thanks Benny for the tip). The green is easier to see. I would like to try the Warrens if the rear notch is narrower. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Wait, go to the next match and bug every Glock shooter you see there to paw their gun! Almost (there's always an exception) no one runs the stock sights, and you'll probably find a wide variety of sights to "test" in the safe area. It might save you buying two or three more sights before you find the one you like...BTW, I like the Hiene Rear/Dawson FO Front w/green insert...Chris Patty sells a package deal with both (shameless plug for forum member!)

I had another person ask me recently via PM about glock sights. Below is my answer to him.

I've used 5 different sight combo's on my glocks:

the Dawson Precision (DP) adjustable rear with a DP FO front

the DP fixed rear with a DP FO front

the Heinie slant pro with a DP front

the Sevigny rear with a Sevigny FO front

the Sevigny rear with a Sevigny solid black front.

My observations are as follows on the sights:

The DP adj rear and FO front - by far my favorite, tight sight picture, shallow rear notch, thin front sight. Front sight can be too high for many holsters. Blade-tech will custom make a holster to fit, Kytec is deep enough to accomidate. Do not use a holster where the front sight protrudes out the bottom. Weighs more and can be an issue with a production gun and tungsten guiderod.

DP fixed rear and FO front - my second choice, very similar sight picture to the adj model, tight sight picture but not as tight as the adj model, thin front sight, shallow rear notch. Front and rear are not as high and fit almost all holsters, but still would not recommend it protrude out the bottom of the holster.

Heinie slant pro with DP front - looser sight picture, but not as loose as the sevigny, same front sight width as other DPs, deeper rear notch.

Sevigny rear and FO front - very loose sight picture, FO in front is placed higher in the blade, very deep rear notch.

Sevigny rear and solid front - very loose sight picture, very deep rear notch, more accurate than with the FO, IMO.

In production, weight can be an issue. You only have 2 oz's from the OEM weight to play with. The DP adj sight and higher front does weigh more than the other options. If you are pushing the limit on the gun's weight but prefer the tighter sight picture, I would recommend the DP fixed set-up.

Being able to adjust the sight to a really nice reload instead of adjusting the reload to hit POA is really convienient. With that said, I have had only one round (factory and reloads) that did not strike to POA on any of the fixed sights.

The advantage of a tight sight picture is accuracy at longer distances. The advantage of a loose sight picture is faster target acquisition. Essentially, either can be overcome with practicing with the sights. I see a lot of sight picture while shooting, but get sloppy with my accuracy with the looser sight picture, so I favor the tighter sights. With others, it's the opposite. I found this out by experimenting with the different sights. The heinie is the best 'middle of the road' sight system for the glocks IMO. Any of the above are capable of taking you to M class.

Hope this helps.

Sean

Thanks for fixing the post Flex. Still new and didn't mean to cause any confusion. The pictures help Cy. I ordered a Warren Tactical rear and a Tritium front yesterday. I am used to the Tritium front and really like the view over the Warren Tactical. It would have been a good idea to wait til after seeing others at a match as suggested. I think I will be happy with my decision though.

I have both the Tactical and the Sevigny sights on GLOCKs. I prefer the Sevigny sights, and I like the thin front blade.

I've only shot 1 USPSA match with the Sevignys, but my accuracy in IDPA has gotten steadily better over the three matches that I've shot with the Tacticals.

The factory front sight is like having Rosie ODonnel sitting on your slide; ANYTHING will be an improvement.

HK Dan

I like my Warrent Tactical with F/O front sight a lot! I am much faster to the target, and over all impressed witht he design.

I have the Sevigny w/FO on my G34 and while they are great sights, I tend to get a little distracted at times given FO front.

One thing I do when shooting steel matches is to remove the fiber optic rod and focus solely on the front sight itself, besides

the hole where the rod goes is large enough to allow you to see some of the white of the steel plates through it. I'd say it is

a big improvement over the stock sights on the G34.

Cheers Sean -- excellent expose on glock sight options.

I prefer the "looser" sight picture provided by the sevigny sights. The adj. dawson combo, to me, is too narrow (not enough light on the sides of the front post) and too shallow (lacks enough height in the rear notch). It is easier for me to see the .115 front sight lift and drop back into picture with the bolder and wider frame that sevigny sights provide compared to the adj. dawson rear. For me it was harder, especially when moving, to clearly see the front with the adj. dawson combo. Then again, I have a lot of work to do on my technique. Try them all, or go with heinie/dawson for a happy medium, tried-and-true combo. For my eyes, though, the sevigny sights rule. Wish I could figure out a way to have the same sight picture on my STI w/ bomar rear. Be safe.

-br

Edited by joker22

Cheers Sean -- excellent expose on glock sight options.

I prefer the "looser" sight picture provided by the sevigny sights. The adj. dawson combo, to me, is too narrow (not enough light on the sides of the front post) and too shallow (lacks enough height in the rear notch). It is easier for me to see the .115 front sight lift and drop back into picture with the bolder and wider frame that sevigny sights provide compared to the adj. dawson rear. For me it was harder, especially when moving, to clearly see the front with the adj. dawson combo. Then again, I have a lot of work to do on my technique. Try them all, or go with heinie/dawson for a happy medium, tried-and-true combo. For my eyes, though, the sevigny sights rule. Wish I could figure out a way to have the same sight picture on my STI w/ bomar rear. Be safe.

-br

It's far from the looser of the bunch. It's just different. I listed the sights from tight to loose in comparison to the amount of open area between the front sight and rear notch. I just seemed logical. I figured if the info would save others a few bucks, it's worth sharing.

I like my Warrent Tactical with F/O front sight a lot! I am much faster to the target, and over all impressed witht he design.

Ditto! I have tried all three and settled on th WT sightss w/ the FO front too. Can't beat em for $67 bucks.

T

I use a set of Sevigny Competition sights on my G17. All black set. They have a great sight picture and contrast great against cardboard. They suck inside of an indoor range so decide which front sight you would want to use based on where you do most of your shooting. I do manage to do well with them indoor but a fiber optic would help. Outdoor they are great.

Cool pics! Well done Cy.

Jim M

Thanks! ;)

(ecmills is my username over on GT).

My personal favorite is the race-cut Heine rear with a steel dawson front. Close second is the Sevigny all-black competition sights I've got on my G19. Similar sight pictures, with front posts roughly half as wide as the rear notch.

I prefer all-black sights on my guns. My hits get too sloppy when I use an FO front sight (I had a bad habit of slapping the trigger whenever the dot was somewhere in the notch) ... so I personally stick with black-on-black sights now.

If I were going to do it all over again, I'd run a race-cut Heinie slant-pro (CGR sells them) rear, and a .115" non-F.O. front on my 34.

And for the 19 (which is my 100% carry gun, and 25% IDPA weekly-match gun when I don't use the 34) I'd stick a set of Sevigny competitions on it, with a Tritium front. :)