Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seagulls

AikiDale

A long, long time ago on a beach far, far away when AikiDale was working as a professional girl watcher lifeguard that was the most popular opinion of them. I liked them, especially when they stole the french fries, hotdogs and popcorn from toddlers. Traumatic for the urchins perhaps, but funny from the guard stand. B)

Only tourists feed the birds.

post-2337-1201802962.jpg

I can still remember my Dad snagging a sea gull on a spoon while we were trolling for bluefish and Spanish Mackerel off Orange Beach, AL in the mid 70s. The sea gull was very pissed and my Dad was reeling him towards the boat, we picked up oars, poles, etc. in order to defend ourselves. Luckily (for us probably) the sea gull finally got free of the spoon and left in an outraged state.

I also remember throwing trash fish up off the shrimp boat floors and having the sea gulls snag them in the air. Some nasty little flying varmints.

David

I can still remember my Dad snagging a sea gull on a spoon while we were trolling for bluefish and Spanish Mackerel off Orange Beach, AL in the mid 70s. The sea gull was very pissed and my Dad was reeling him towards the boat, we picked up oars, poles, etc. in order to defend ourselves. Luckily (for us probably) the sea gull finally got free of the spoon and left in an outraged state.

I also remember throwing trash fish up off the shrimp boat floors and having the sea gulls snag them in the air. Some nasty little flying varmints.

David

We had one do that when we where shark fishing out of the gulf. Our bait hat started floating and the gull got tangled up in the line and hooks....caught a big one that day!

Where I came from we called them targets. We used them for practice for duck, goose and pheasant hunting. They were right up there with magpies and crows only there were more of them. But that was a long time ago in a different State.

Orvis used to market a small trap like thrower that was sized for Ritz crackers. I'd take that and a box of Ritz to the beach and have a ball with the gulls. When you really got them going chasing the crackers occasionally they'd have mid-air collisions that were spectacular!

Hey Dale,

At the risk of drifting the thread, are you still running for president?

We sure could use a "Competitive Handgun" party candidate :cheers:

dj

Absolutely! From the little we see in the news, there is another thread about that, it would appear the front runners in both the elephant and donkey parties are not very supportive of guns. As mentioned when I threw my hat into the ring, if elected I will participate in each division at the USPSA Nationals as POTUS.

I thank you for your support!

Now get out there and let's get this brass roots campaign underway, but quietly. I really don't think anyone should have to put up with any campaigning BS until after the World Series is concluded in any election year.

:cheers:

Sure that's a gull? The straight bill and scissor tail say tern to me...although I couldn't find a good enough picture to identify it on Cornell's ornithology webwite.

I'm pretty sure it's a bird; beyond that I'd have to ask in the questions that don't fit anywhere thread.... :D