Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

still waiting

gunner40sw

I have ben waiting almost two months for 40 cal 180 grain jhp from zero. Plus I have orders on a waiting list from two other distributers. Is anybody else having this problem or is anyone having any luck buying zero brand from someone else.

Also I was at a club meeting last night and one of the guys was checking into prices for bags of lead shot and one of the guys he was talking to told him to wait till around March to buy cause the price of lead is suppose to start dropping. Anyone else heard anything about that.

I just ordered and recieved a shipment from Powder Valley, took about a week. As far as I know they still have what your looking for in stock. I dont know what the price difference between them and the factory is. Shipping was about 12 bucks, besides the hazmat fee, I ordered an 8lb keg of powder, primers and a 1000 zero 180 fp .40's for that shipping price. Give them a shout, they might have what your looking for. H

:cheers:

Just checked PV their outta 180 JHP in 40! Sorry bout that.

Edited by hf219

check lead price here http://www.lme.co.uk/lead.asp It is down from last year .

I also wonder with falling prices if the casters & major manufacturers will drop accordingly. I don't think you'll see any lower bullet prices with a little downward movement in lead prices. I doubt they will play the same game the oil companies are already playing with us - down a dime for 2 weeks, up 15 cents for the next 3 weeks etc..

I think it will have to be a rather large down turn and stay low (stabliize) for about 3 months until we as shooters see any relief. That said maybe by late August? :unsure:

Regarding the cast bullets made by Jim Stinar - I emailed him last night and he replied promptly with a price list. Over at the 45 cal forum in reloading a BE'r is putting together a list of places to purchase cast bullets with pricing and I posted his pricing sheet there if anbody is interested.

One 40 cal bullet weight on Jim's sheet that caught my eye is a 220 gn!

I've tinkered with 200 gn developing minor loads using Precision & MG that are soft shooters but that 220 gn bullet really has me thinking. To get 135 PF out of that weight bullet it would be traveling 635 fps - 590 fps if you want to make 130 PF & if you are really bold 568 fps will get you 125 PF- there are air rifles that shoot as fast or faster! I wonder if they would penetrate the cardboard targets? :surprise:

The flip side of that is making major - 170 PF is only 772 fps - I have a minor load that I use occasionally that runs about 150 PF - 820 -30 ish FPS using a 180 gn bullet that is a nice soft load!

I may contact Jim to see if I can get a sample of about a 100 of those just to satisfy my curiosity for major & minor.

HMMMM! Perhaps shooting Airsoft with a bang?

Well I just got off the phone with Zero and they told me they have no idea when they are going to b making anymore 40s. I said so does that mean it could be next week or 5 months and she said they have no way of knowing. So for the time being what is the next best bullet to the 40 cal 180 grain jacketed hollow point. I tried plated before and had problems with them so I don't want plated.

Well I just got off the phone with Zero and they told me they have no idea when they are going to b making anymore 40s. I said so does that mean it could be next week or 5 months and she said they have no way of knowing. So for the time being what is the next best bullet to the 40 cal 180 grain jacketed hollow point. I tried plated before and had problems with them so I don't want plated.

Regarding Zero this is how good businesses fail. I wonder what Montana Gold's secret is. They seem to be fully stocked and ship right away.

Thanks guys I am going to order some Montana gold. Do you think I should load a few then chrono to see If I have the same results as the old zeros?

MG's tend to be a little slower on the Chrono than Zero's in my tests.

YMMV

Thanks guys I am going to order some Montana gold. Do you think I should load a few then chrono to see If I have the same results as the old zeros?

MG's tend to be a little slower on the Chrono than Zero's in my tests.

YMMV

I found the same thing... you should be okay to go with your load though and run it over the chrono when you get a chance. I gave up on Zero a long time ago... love the product, hate trying to find them. I'm been shooting MG and recently PD... They work very well for me and accurate as anything in my gun.

I also loved the Zeros, back when I shot jacketed in Limited. But the prices are what drove me away. Then since Masterblasters went out- the search began again! Now I am settling in with S&S casting I believe. I still want to try out those 220gr .40s. But am shooting their 230gr .45s right now and they are much better than LaserCast and very accurate! They are non-coated lead, so you will have to clean the blaster a bit more. But well worth the savings in cost IMHO.

Unless you want a suprise at the crono table of a major match, always chrono a new load. The profile of a new bullet will cause it to be slower or faster regardless of weight.

FWIW

dj

You definitely want to chrono the new bullet....different jacket material, different profile (even slightly) and different sizing all add up to different velocity with the same powder charge and OAL.

I'm lucky that I've got a stash of Zero 180JHP's but just finished shooting a case of MG 180s and they worked great. Another option is the Hornady Action Pistol....prices on them from Powder Valley are competitive with MG and Zero. It's a very impressive bullet that's super accurate and has a nice profile for smoother feeding than either MG or Zero. R,

Customer service follows the money with some companies. Zero is apparently making bigger bucks with other contracts. A group in our area has been placing bulk orders for years and now they don't even have time to talk to old customers. There will come a time when they want to get back into the comptetive shooting market so just don't forget the ones that stayed with us during these times.

Unless you want a suprise at the crono table of a major match, always chrono a new load. The profile of a new bullet will cause it to be slower or faster regardless of weight.

FWIW

dj

dj is right.... run it over there as soon as you can... better safe. I haven't had an issue swapping these two myself, but there's always a first time.

Zero is apparently making bigger bucks with other contracts. There will come a time when they want to get back into the comptetive shooting market so just don't forget the ones that stayed with us during these times.

AMEN Brother

I generally use cheaper bullets for most local matches and definitely for practice but I always switch to a quality bullet like Montana Gold shortly before major matches so I can practice, chrono, and practice more. I love how fast Montana Gold is with delivery and the high quality of their product but I just can't use it for practice and local matches due to the price. I give MG a HUGE thumbs up though.