Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting raped at the local gun shop

Ted Murphy

Had to shoot a qualifier for this gun club I joined. Way it works if you shoot the qual with a 9, that's the biggest you can shoot on the range, a .22 and you can't shoot centerfire, and so on. So figuring I ought to shoot the big bore and get cleared on everything I grabbed a .45 1911 out the safe and found I had no ammo for it. I didn't know what the traffic would be like so I wanted to leave early to be there in plenty of time. So rather than go to my regular haunt so I stopped by this archery/gun shop around the corner. I knew they were a tad higher than the other shops, but figured it was a convenience fee, like buying a box of trojans at the Quickie Mart on prom night. Expensive, but you're desperate enough to pay out for it.

Big mistake. One 50 count box of 230 grain Sellier and Belloit .45acp ammo- $27.95

Since I was concerned about being on time I nutted up and paid it but boy did I feel violated on that one.

They might have made a few bucks on me that time but I'll never shop in there again, I'll not shoot instead.

I know that's high but has anybody noticed ammo prices have gone through the roof. I was shooting my M1A a while back and it wasn't grouping as well as I like, so I thought I would stop by a gun store and buy an assortment of ammo to see if she liked something better. Holy crap, I nearly had a Merlin! Went home and started reloading immediately! :surprise:

Last time I got dinged like was when I took my concealed carry test and they only allowed factory ammo. Wasn't as bad as what you had to pay, but still irritating. Yesterday, I snatched up a used .22 at a gun shop known for a good selection, but usually not good prices on new stuff. They wanted $25 for a 500 bulk pack of the cheap Remmy. Not when I can stop by Sportsmans Warehouse and buy it for half that! I don't mind paying a little more at a shop that has knowledge people that can help me out with good service before and after the sale, but I've got my limits!

I too dont mind paying more for a local store and proffesional knowledge. But as stated above I have a limit. Here's another gouge for you. The store with the indoor range in Honolulu Hi requires not only factory ammo but you have to buy their factory ammo. At $20 per 50. even for WWB 9mm. A Sports Authority is across the road. This was the price 2 years ago, I have no idea what it is now.

I have seen many small business's that dont understand the pricing curve. As you charge higher prices you make more money but your volume decreases. As you continue to raise prices your profit eventually peaks and starts dropping due to declining sales. Alot of these businesses put prices so high they have no volume at all and cry about the local Wally World putting them under. I understand the need to make a profit but more than a 20% markup on readily available items isnt gonna cut it.

I noticed the same thing yesterday.I knew ammo prices had gone up but did not realize how much.I went to Sportsmans Warehouse to pick up a box of .38 SPL.and a box of .357 Mag for a couple revolvers to place hidden around the house.$37 for the good .357 stuff.I ended up paying $18.99 for a box of WWB .38 SPL +P to use in both guns.I reload for both calibers but figure factory ammo is the way to go for defensive purposes,liability issues and such.I guess I have read too many Massad Ayoob articles. :unsure:

Edited by et45

I have observed this after running low at the range a few months ago. I wanted to continue practice, so ambled up to the counter of the range office to buy a box of reloads. They wanted $24 for 50 .45ACP. I changed my mind and decided I really was done shooting for the day. Apparently some folks never learn, because the stock on the shelf is constantly depleted. I feel your pain. ;)

hows $27.99 a box of magtech .38 stupid sound? at my old CA range I would be forced to pay $17.99. Its weird here. I would think a gun friendly state like NV would have more ranges, more retailers and definately better prices. I am soooo sadly mistaken!!! I have a steel shoot this weekend (if the info is correct) and my 650xl is still in its box 310 miles away... in Venice. I'm ordering a case of 1000 from Atlanta Arms for $320 shipped to hopefully get some practice in before the match. I'm willing to drive 4+ hours each direction to bring my loader and supplies to the new house. This is ridiculous. I called wal-mart. they can't even read a friggin box! I showed up after they assured me the carry .38 super auto +p, ONLY TO FIND .38 SPECIAL!!!!!!!!! for $18.99 :wacko:

Had to shoot a qualifier for this gun club I joined. Way it works if you shoot the qual with a 9, that's the biggest you can shoot on the range, a .22 and you can't shoot centerfire, and so on. So figuring I ought to shoot the big bore and get cleared on everything I grabbed a .45 1911 out the safe and found I had no ammo for it. I didn't know what the traffic would be like so I wanted to leave early to be there in plenty of time. So rather than go to my regular haunt so I stopped by this archery/gun shop around the corner. I knew they were a tad higher than the other shops, but figured it was a convenience fee, like buying a box of trojans at the Quickie Mart on prom night. Expensive, but you're desperate enough to pay out for it.

Big mistake. One 50 count box of 230 grain Sellier and Belloit .45acp ammo- $27.95

Since I was concerned about being on time I nutted up and paid it but boy did I feel violated on that one.

They might have made a few bucks on me that time but I'll never shop in there again, I'll not shoot instead.

Ammo prices have basically doubled this year. The excuse is the "shortage" caused by the war... yet, like gasoline, somehow the "shortage" which is the excuse for the gouging never means they are actually short of the overpriced product.

Cheap 9mm ammo at the sport stores now is aboput $16, cheap .45 ammo has to be at least $5 over that. At the range, the markup is always about +25% just because they make all their money selling ammo.

BTW: check internet prices on case lots. A couple of years ago I could always get 1000 cases of cheap 9mm (S+B, Blazer brass, etc) for about $110-$120. You're lucky to find it under $200 now.

The ammo makers have learned the lesson from Big Oil.... gouge them and they will pay.....

I have observed this after running low at the range a few months ago. I wanted to continue practice, so ambled up to the counter of the range office to buy a box of reloads. They wanted $24 for 50 .45ACP. I changed my mind and decided I really was done shooting for the day. Apparently some folks never learn, because the stock on the shelf is constantly depleted. I feel your pain. ;)

That's the problem: same as with gasoline, they raised the price 50% and the consumption did not drop a bit (in fact, it went up slightly). Ammo will NEVER go back down now that they know that people will pay the jacked up prices.

well, just found Winchester .38SA +p's for $13.98 a box. that is $10 cheaper than the next cheapest vendor I found locally, AND they had 2 4lb cans N-105 left. Spurlock's in Henderson NV has some great people workin there with some really good deals I couldn't even find on the internet. + they carry dillon and everything I need. it's starting to feel more like a gun friendly state afterall. :cheers:

For the 15K or rounds I shoot at matches.. I reload. duh!

But for the best hot .45 JHPs that my carry gun likes.. I'm now paying $29.95 for 20... ouch. They are Winchester SXT 230 grains.. and my Officer's model will shoot them into one hole groups with ease at 30 feet.. so if it's ammo to save your life.. I guess it's worth it.

I have had good luck with Winchester Expert .22 ammo. I just bought 2,000 rounds at $12 per 500.... from Wally World.

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago while trying to buy an XD Tactical. Went to three local shops and asked for a price, none had the gun in stock. First shop wanted $700.00+! Their reasoning for the outragous price was that it was a new product. Second shop couldn't get me a price that day. Guess they couldn't dial a toll free number and ask their wholesaler about price and availability. Promised to call me the next day with a price. Never did! I still ask the salesman if he ever got me a price. Pisses him off. Third shop would not give me a price until I gave them a $50.00 non refundable deposit. I asked the guy if he saw "stupid" tatooed on my forehead. He didn't understand. Went on the internet that day and bought the XD a helluva lot cheaper than the $700.00 price I was quoted even with the shipping to my friendly FFL and his $20.00 transfer fee. Needless to say I just window shop in the local shops.

CYa,

Pat

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago while trying to buy an XD Tactical. Went to three local shops and asked for a price, none had the gun in stock. First shop wanted $700.00+! Their reasoning for the outragous price was that it was a new product. Second shop couldn't get me a price that day. Guess they couldn't dial a toll free number and ask their wholesaler about price and availability. Promised to call me the next day with a price. Never did! I still ask the salesman if he ever got me a price. Pisses him off. Third shop would not give me a price until I gave them a $50.00 non refundable deposit. I asked the guy if he saw "stupid" tatooed on my forehead. He didn't understand. Went on the internet that day and bought the XD a helluva lot cheaper than the $700.00 price I was quoted even with the shipping to my friendly FFL and his $20.00 transfer fee. Needless to say I just window shop in the local shops.

CYa,

Pat

WOW. I only paid $549 for my new XD TAC .40 last year out here in Gougeafornia.... I would have thought ina gun friendly state like yours the price would be more like $500.

BTW, at the local range where I used to shoot... when you asked them to get a price on anything, they quoted the FULL RETAIL price, + about 10% for their trouble, plus handling......

Then they whined to the head of our league that none of the shooters were SUPPORTING the range by buying their guns there.

Edited by bountyhunter

BH,

Yeah, it is a gun friendly state but the dealers obviously are not at times. I understand having a brick and mortar store has a fair amount of overhead that has to be paid, but I am so tired of dealing with the gun commando salesmen at these shops who figure that I am some Rube that just fell off the turnip wagon and I am going to swallow everything they spew.

I hope somebody on your end educated the folks at your local range about gouging.

Cya,

Pat

I hope somebody on your end educated the folks at your local range about gouging.

Cya,

Pat

Yeah, we educated them by not buying any of their outrageously priced guns or ammo.... and they went out of business. A year later, they reopened under slightly better management, but they are still a bunch of whining robbers who can't understand why people won't pay 50% markup on ammo when I can have it shipped right to my door by FEDEX and save a bundle of money.

Once you find out how out of line their prices are and you stop dealing with them it makes you glad you reload. Then you find out how much lead has gone up in the past year...how much primers have gone up and how hard some are to find...how much bullets of all kinds are going up. Kind of makes you start limiting how and when you shoot. But word of mouth on an arrogant gun shop does make a difference.