Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Nationals - 2008

Bdavis

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think it will generate more: "Gee in previous years I could wait weeks before sending in my applications, now because of all those @%#$%^ USPSA shooters the match is already full." Blah Blah Blah.

In fact, there will have to be some changes for next year. I thought Saturday was filled on the first day or so. Next year will be just like A2. Waiting lists, etc.

I agree Matt! SS is going to grow very fast. Just look at the WSSSC. Steve actually had to cut back on the number of shooters to fit it into a 1.5 day format. The WSSSC is IMHO the best SS match in the country right now.

I agree Matt! SS is going to grow very fast. Just look at the WSSSC. Steve actually had to cut back on the number of shooters to fit it into a 1.5 day format. The WSSSC is IMHO the best SS match in the country right now.

Besides last weeks WSSS, I have not shot any big matches outside of Florida, i.e. Florida Open and Florida State, I can say the WSSS was a fantastic match and I will be there next year.

I am happy to say that SS seems to be alive and well! :cheers:

Or they could just make it a little bigger, no? With SS being a recognized division I would expect the nationals to grow a bit.

I doubt they could increase the size of it unless it moved away from Barry. That will probably never happen. <_<

Craig

Yea, Why can't we increase the size of the match at Barry. I worked the North American Championship there with 24 stages. I worked the Millennium Match, the Pan American Match and others that were larger. It is all a matter of staffing and can you generate the number of shooters to justify the increase.

Edited by Bdavis

Yea, Why can't we increase the size of the match at Barry. I worked the North American Championship there with 24 stages. I worked the Millennium Match, the Pan American Match and others that were larger. It is all a matter of staffing and can you generate the number of shooters to justify the increase.

Well Said!!!!

Expanding the SSC has been discussed for years. Primarily the staff has been local or at least most of them don't have to travel far to get here. So expanding the match would cost another nights motel bill, PLUS another vaction day for many of the staff, another lunch fee, etc. It's not as simple as just adding one more day.

Will another 100/125 competitors come to shoot the match on thursday? we have to put them somewhere. Sunday has always been the make up day for bad weather. I suppose we could shoot on sunday instead of thursday. But I usually help tear the match down and put most of the walls, prop, etc up on sunday.

This match is just like any other match. The organizers want the match to be "x" number of days. Have the Desert Classic expand their match a day or two and see what they say.

Hey I just saying... ask Richard Heinie, the boys from Springfeild Armory, and the USPSA if expanding the SSC is a doable option.

Bad weather?! :blink: How many other matches postpone a match due to bad weather? :unsure: And as a National event, three days isn't pushing it in my opinion. No need to get offended. These are just questions about how to better accomodate the seemingly large interest. I would think that 100 more competitors at $150 a pop would be more than enough to absorb any added cost in staffing. <_< And I think it isn't out of the question getting that many, considering the interest I have seen this year. Saturday filled up in, help me out here Bill, 1 week?!

Saturday was technically full by the 6th of January. Friday has 15 spots left, but a packet of apps is on the way, so I am assuming that Friday is actually full, as well. So, in 12 days we went from zero to full. Impressive response.

By that I would assume that you could draw at least 300 - 350 .............. probably more. I think Single Stack's gonna be an interesting division this year. (I just wonder how much longer I'm gonna be able to AFFORD it ? I may have to go back to shooting open just to save money on bullets.) :goof:

PS: We didn't need a "make-up day" for bad weather at the LPR NATIONALS in Tulsa last year. <_< And boy would I have benefitted from having one. I think you could plan on a 3 day match (Fri, Sat, Sun) and just do what we did in Tulsa. B) KEEP SHOOTING!

But I can sympathize with enjoying having Sunday as a day to tear-down. Maybe shoot on Thur, Fri, Sat but that would still be an extra day off work for some, but HEY! It's the SINGLE STACK NATIONALS! I didnt mind taking time off work for the LPR NATIONALS last year. (my 1st Nationals by the way, and it just happened to be the Mud Bowl) I DO like the fact that it is always the last weekend of April. That sure is better than our "OTHER Nationals planning" system.

Either way you do it, it's an extra day for all involved, but it is well worth it for many, myself included. :cheers:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Saturday was technically full by the 6th of January. Friday has 15 spots left, but a packet of apps is on the way, so I am assuming that Friday is actually full, as well. So, in 12 days we went from zero to full. Impressive response.

Heck,

In 2006, Area 2 did that in 4 hours! It CAN get worse! You may want to start some contingency planning for the future!

Just a thought,

Chuck

Rocket no offense taken. I am just stating facts. I have been involved with the SSC since the first year. Member number L-31. We have never needed sunday as a make up day, so I agree, no other match I know of uses a make up day.

If you want to have the match increased...........run it by the match organizers. I know what the answer was last year when the same question was asked.

I can see were 300/350 competitors over 3 days is doable.

The SSC will always be at PASA. The match belongs to Springfield Armory. You will have a hard time getting them to take it elsewhere.

I think the USPSA's Nats have been held back as a whole too much over the years. They are always sold out so quickly. I think the powers to be ought to start putting their heads together for ways to accomodate more shooters. It seems like there has been a "waiting list" for Nationals staff in the past as well. If more people are needed, put the word out! It has been my experience that Nats staff are well taken care of. So there is incentives for those interested.

Rocket no offense taken. I am just stating facts. I have been involved with the SSC since the first year. Member number L-31. We have never needed sunday as a make up day, so I agree, no other match I know of uses a make up day.

If you want to have the match increased...........run it by the match organizers. I know what the answer was last year when the same question was asked.

The SSC will always be at PASA. The match belongs to Springfield Armory. You will have a hard time getting them to take it elsewhere.

Whew! :blush: Didn't mean to ruffle feathers and glad that I didn't. I don't see why there is any reason, or that anyone is even suggesting, that the match be moved away from PASA. I am thrilled that it is there. I think that range actually holds alot of shooting history- not to mention close for me! :devil:

I am just responding to the thoughts of the ideas to expand the event, and voicing my opinion. I may just ask the organizers if it would be possible to accept more applications on the premise that the Sunday has never been used. But I am sure they have heard it from many others as you have mentioned. Maybe the more people talk in favor of expanded on forums like this- they will consider it more? Is it really necessary to have that day as a "make up". And if it was ever used as a make up day- there goes your Sunday tear down. ;)

Sunday has always been the make up day for bad weather.

I remember a pretty bad Saturday a couple of years ago. I can't imagine what it would take to need a make up day. Why not just squad people to shoot Sunday and get some more shooters in there?

Whew! :blush: Didn't mean to ruffle feathers and glad that I didn't. I don't see why there is any reason, or that anyone is even suggesting, that the match be moved away from PASA. I am thrilled that it is there. I think that range actually holds alot of shooting history- not to mention close for me! :devil:

I am just responding to the thoughts of the ideas to expand the event, and voicing my opinion. I may just ask the organizers if it would be possible to accept more applications on the premise that the Sunday has never been used. But I am sure they have heard it from many others as you have mentioned. Maybe the more people talk in favor of expanded on forums like this- they will consider it more? Is it really necessary to have that day as a "make up". And if it was ever used as a make up day- there goes your Sunday tear down. ;)

It was discussed in detail about expanding the match for 2008. After much thought it was decided to keep the same format for this years match. I would expect that there would be a day added in 2009 but that isn’t a sure thing yet. There are many details and added cost by expanding the match. One of the things we looked at for this year was adding a half-day of shooting on Sunday. But it just wasn’t worth the added expense involved. I personally like the fact that the SSC is a single day format match. But if we do an expansion that will likely change to a day and a half format and will have additional stages. A 10-12 stage match will change into a 16-18 stage match. This would allow that match to handle up 325-350 shooters. Of course there is the problem of added staff and extra days of vacation need plus an extra night for the competitors. If you would like to volunteer to be an RO for 2009 please contact Richard Heinie or myself. PASA is a fine facility and is capable of handling a larger match. In 1998 I was the Match Director of The North American Championship at PASA and it was a 24 stage match. Springfield Armory doesn’t own the match they are the match sponsor and have been heavily involved from the beginning. The match is produced by the 1911 Society and Springfield takes care of the prizes. It runs at no cost to USPSA.

Russell Cluver