Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Nationals - 2008

Bdavis

I was lucky enough to wind up in Phil's squad - and got to watch the match from the front row - as my scores for the match can attest, I surely wasn't shooting it! :surprise:

Learned a bunch from watching Phil, Seeklander, Sevigny and the rest of the boys; got some good video I'll post at some point in the near future....

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I am really pissed!!! My score was NOT corrected on stage 9 after going into the stars office this morning!!!! I showed Bill Davis the score sheet and watched him supposedly correct it. Big f'ing difference between 8.47 seconds and 4.47 seconds!!! I am really disappointed in this!!! This should NOT happen at a Nationals Eta that cost me 10 places!!!!

I wasn't there, so I don't know how stats were being run, but I know how this could happen. If they were running two or more systems (master and slave) like is usually done at a big match, it's possible your score was originally entered on one of the slave machines. Later when you brought your copy in to be fixed, the change could have been made on the master machine and it would look for all the world to you like it was by-god fixed. But when they merge the slave machines back into the master later, the original wrong entry would overlay your corrected entry on the master and no one would know it at the time.

On the other hand, if they were entering everything into a single computer, then I don't know....

Ok, I am really pissed!!! My score was NOT corrected on stage 9 after going into the stars office this morning!!!! I showed Bill Davis the score sheet and watched him supposedly correct it. Big f'ing difference between 8.47 seconds and 4.47 seconds!!! I am really disappointed in this!!! This should NOT happen at a Nationals Eta that cost me 10 places!!!!

I wasn't there, so I don't know how stats were being run, but I know how this could happen. If they were running two or more systems (master and slave) like is usually done at a big match, it's possible your score was originally entered on one of the slave machines. Later when you brought your copy in to be fixed, the change could have been made on the master machine and it would look for all the world to you like it was by-god fixed. But when they merge the slave machines back into the master later, the original wrong entry would overlay your corrected entry on the master and no one would know it at the time.

On the other hand, if they were entering everything into a single computer, then I don't know....

You explaned it as exactly as it happened.

Well, that was fun..

I got to shoot a squad behind Phil and the rest of the Friday Super squad. I don't think I've ever been happy to get backed up on a stage before. I thought for sure GTO was in trouble after watching those guys, but damn if that man ain't a machine.

I didn't get to meet up with too many of the benos guys, or I did and didn't realize it is probably more accurate.

I was lucky enough to wind up in Phil's squad - and got to watch the match from the front row - as my scores for the match can attest, I surely wasn't shooting it! :surprise:

Learned a bunch from watching Phil, Seeklander, Sevigny and the rest of the boys; got some good video I'll post at some point in the near future....

I thought you shot some solid stages. had a great time in this squad. Learned a ton from all there.

pat

I thought it was a great match. I was expecting it to be a little more difficult even though it was rather difficult as it is. But the whole thing ran really smooth save for the crazy rain and hail break on friday. It was my first nationals and my first shoot where I was able to watch some of the great gm's shoot, if you haven't seen them it's really something.

My only complaint is that the class winners did not recieve a pistol as it is stated here: http://www.1911ssc.org/Pages/Prizes.htm

I didn't care at the time because I was super pumped to have won my class. Looking back though, it said I should have as well as the d c and a class shooters that did not recieve a pistol while 10 m's (gm's) did, albeit they deserved them, but so did the d class winner. I don't mean to sound whiny or selfish but I bet you would feel the same way. I'm also kicking myself for not shooting a springfield.... Guess what I'll be shooting next year. <_<

All my whinning aside it was a great match and I will shoot it again.

Well time to venture into the lion's den I guess.

I think we have established that the all steel stage was in fact a legal stage. Jay Worden has devoted many, many years to helping run these matches and makes every effort to keep them within the rules. USPSA/NROI has made great efforts to review these stages and insure that they meet the letter of the rulebook. Will it always in every instance be perfect, I doubt it. That does not diminish from the level of the effort that is made.

Stage design. Yes the match could have more exciting and challenging stages. They could have had roller coasters, parachutes, helicopters, armored personnel carriers, etc., but the Single Stack Classic, and now the Single Stack Nationals has never been about "gee whiz". It has always been about shooting and gun handling skills. Perhaps that is why Rob dominates this match.

As to rooms. I have been involved in many match hotel experiences. Most of them have been reasonably good, but every now and then it isn't up to standards we would like. When a match makes arrangements with a hotel/motel they tell them what they need, arrive at a price per room, and trust that the hotel/motel will do the rest. When I checked in they didn't have me on the list for Wednesday. I am sure it was provided, as I was staff an had to be there on Thursday. The hotel/motel dropped the ball, but they took care of it. The Holiday Inn dropped the ball last year also, and in my case they didn't take care of it, the 1911 Society made it right. This was the nicest staff hotel I have every stayed in when working a match in Quincy, thanks.

Should there have been a scale and a box to check guns, yes absolutely. A box can easily be made and a scale with check weights can be purchased for very little money. I am sure that oversight will be corrected next year. I will be working as RM at the Area 8 and Summer Blast this year. You can bet your bippy, whatever that is, that we will have both. Be forewarned.

Water on the range, yep should have been. However, Deb had water on her 4 wheeler that was available, as far as I know, to anyone who asked. Perhaps that was not widely known. Regardless, water should have been provided on the range. Thursday and late Friday we had plenty. All you had to do was look up and open your mouth :roflol:

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

Alan, you need to understand that as the Grand Snob of the 1911 Elitist/Snob Club I have responsibilities that mere mortals don't have. If it means putting the Bullitt in the mud, which it got stuck on flat ground and had to be pushed out, to promote the gift of John Browning, then that is what I have to do. :devil:

On the good news side though, it only took about 12 quarters to get 95 percent of PASA off of it. The rest will be gone this week. :sick:

Edited by Gary Stevens

I thought the stages were very good, and brutally simple. Fancy is all well and good for video and having fun, but at the nationals level, it should be about running guns and not much else. Also, the depth of the pits dictates how many tricks you can throw into a stage, and PASA doesn't have terribly deep pits, as such things go. Check out Double Tap some year, all the sudden your main focus is on 7 yard targets popping up as fast as you can move. Then go to Michigan and bask in the 65 yard half-amoebas. For a 1911-specific match, I think it was just right, since I never ran out of mags.

H.

Here's some video. More coming online as I get it uploaded....

Forum member Mike C:

thanks Fish!

Thanks for capturing the delay in my shooting that results from putting your thumb under the safety paddle after a reload. :blink:

-and that was one of my better stages. :(

I was blown away by the professionalism and focus of these pros I was squadded with.

Phil S. and Michael S. made OK shooters proud.

Pat D., you are one hell of a shooter, my brotha!

Phil is correct, in that as nice as it was to have a front row seat in their squad, I should not have been there. I should have been shooting and not sightseeing. A three day format with dedicated super squads is/would be a better way.

I find it interesting that people continue to refer to this match as the Nationals, it is the Single Stack Classic with USPSA piggy backing its Nationals on it. The SSC has been run like this for 14 years, there are more than a handful of people that have worked and shot this match since the first match.

The stage mix has been like this since the first match, I've seen and shot stages that were much more challenging in the past than what we just did. I can remember one year even Rob complained that the stages were too hard for him.

I've always called this a skills match, if you really want to know just how good you are, shoot the SSC. This match will bring out some of the most excuses you will ever hear from shooters. I know shooters who have been saying that they are much better shooters than what the results show and they have been shooting this match for many years with the same excuses and results. If you can shoot your USPSA percentage at the SSC you been practicing hard.

If you want a SS Nationals to look and feel like the regular USPSA Nationals, talk to your AD and get them to add it to the mix of the regular Nationals.

I'll stick with the SSC.

Rich

As a side note I had a great time shooting with the ladies this year, my hat is off to them.

I personally liked the stages. I enjoy tough, technical stages. Maybe a few less speed shoots, but all in all, they're typical old school IPSC courses. I love the standards, although I didn't perform well on them!

I think there should be a tough standards in each Nationals....anyway, the other stuff should be addressed, specifically by USPSA.

Thanks for all of the compliments, BTW. Rob just shot better. 2 "D's" in the entire match...GEEZ!

Can someone fill me in on how they did the prize distribution, if not to the class winners?

Guns went as follows

1st place got his choice of any of the guns up there.

then the top 6 shooters that shot a springfield gun received there choice of custom pistols.

Then the TOP LADY AND TOP JUNIOR got guns.

then the top 10 shooters down from Robie received there choice of either mil specs or XD's depending on what was left.

(they sent sevigny an XD LOL!!!!!)

then plaques for the top 2 in each division, m-d

Wow, whole lot o' bitching going on about what I thought was a pretty good match. Experiences vary I guess.

Brad, sorry you're so soured on the match and USPSA. Our squad came through just before lunch on Saturday and I was in your lane; I thought you did an excellent job as a RO. I wouldn't judge a match on what was most likely a hotel f' up but that's up to you. It's to the point these days I get excited about good service somewhere as the exception when it should be the norm.

But, about the match. I thought the match was great, RO's were good, staff was good, stages were very good. Some have been griping about the stages but they were about the shooting.....period. I like roller coasters and stars, and goofy shit as much as the next guy but at some point in this sport you realize its about the shooting. And boy was this a test of shooting. The most accuracy intensive SSC in the 4 years I've been going. Low hit factors result in high penalties for screw ups. The standards really shows whos who in gun handling. Awesome match, I'll be back for sure. Just something cool about 300 folks shooting the same gear essentially heads up.

Thanks again to all involved and congrats to Rob for doing it again. You wanna learn how to shoot? Watch that dude!