Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying Cars

EricW

how much is my used car worth?

Every dollar I would have to pay for any other car.

I have avoided new car dealerships all my adult life.

You need more choices in your hate poll,

I think I would avoid 'dropping heavy machinery on my toes'

good rant,

find a book called 'don't get taken every time.'

miranda

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shop around and look for a 1-2 year old car. Some are nearly new with low miles and cost about 1/2 of what the same new model costs. Look for private party sales and if you can pay cash. Most people can't and that gives you buying and bargining power.

Shop around and look for a 1-2 year old car. Some are nearly new with low miles and cost about 1/2 of what the same new model costs.

That's what I did 10 years ago and bought a 2 year old off lease Camry w/25K miles. It has 221K now. My only regret was that orange cleaners weren't as common then to help get the greasy car salesman mank off of me after I left the dealership.

I will second the kidney stone choice for the poll.

Like I've said on other occasions, the Nissan Sentra is the Timex watch of the auto industry. I've had two of them (bought new each) since 1985 and you can't kill 'em... floods, blizzards, icy roads, hot days, weather of all sorts--you can't kill em. Good mileage, reliable as God, and carefree--especially my newer (1998) one. Unreal cars. They're cute but no one steals 'em like they do other makes. They're small and easy to park. Tinted windows came stock and the only improvement I made to it was a very decent set of tires... which the Firestone dealer fixes for free if I need it.

No, of course it's not a pickup truck but not everyone needs a pickup truck. If you want a stealthy, unobtrusive, 5-speed, somewhat powerful little car (climbs steep hills like you wouldn't believe), get a damn' Sentra. The base model (in 1998) MSRP'd for $14K, listed for $12K and I offered them $9K in cash. Boy, did they take it. I just Kelley'd it this week and it's still worth $4-5,000. And I'll probably drive it for several more years at least. Why not..... it runs great. B)

I treat car shopping as a sport to be enjoyed. I might take weeks to buy a car while I am working two or three dealers. "No, I don't want paint protection. No, I don't want upholstery protection. Oh, you don't have one on the lot that has not been treated. Well, I'll let you order me one that you haven't prepped. The other dealership said they would. Now, do you want to make a sale or not"?

Last new car I bought I settled on a price I wanted to pay, went to the credit union and got a certified check for that amount. Went back to the dealer and saw the sales manager ragging on an older gentleman who was trying the same tactics as I was. I sat down with the salesman who I had been driving crazy for the last three weeks and made my offer showing him the check. He said he would have to check with his sales manager at which point I told him that if I even saw the rat bastard sales manager come out of his office I would walk with my check. Bought the car.

If you turn car shopping into a sport you can mentally own the car salesmen. Great fun!

CYa,

Pat

I really enjoyed the rant. It is very frustrating when, as the consumer, you feel like the manufacture is not listening.

I, however, like the whole car shopping thing. But then I've been known to shoot a revolver too. ;)

Did much of the same things others here have mentioned. Wound up at dealer #3 with about the price I figured. Wife added two options that cost a bit, but hey, its really her car:)

New car had to meet a few criteria:

Automatic

Flat towable without modification

I have to be able to sit in it.

CRV, less than stellar reviews

Saturn VUE, same

Chevy Malibu, great reviews, wife liked, if I sit up in the drivers seat, with seat as low as possible, my head hits roof!

Jeep Liberty, unlimited warranty on drive train, I fit in it and it fit all criteria.

Merry Christmas Sweetie!

Jim

Right now, I'm tossing around either a Honda Accord V-6 or a Toyota Camry Hybrid. The hybrid drives really well. I'm a bit skeptical of the mileage claims since what I saw on my test drive was a ways short of the fantastic claims I keep reading. It looks to me to be a 30mpg car on the freeway and a 20 mpg car in the city, unless I'm missing something....which makes it identical to a Honda V-6. I've read everything from 31 mpg highway to 41 and even 44, which I can only figure was going downhill one-way.

The 2008 Accord is incredible. The cabin is nearly as roomy as my Suburban. Drives like a sports car. All the power you could want and it has the same cylinder shutdown feature as Chevy does on the freeway, which gives it even better mileage than an equivalent Buick.

I treat car shopping as a sport to be enjoyed. I might take weeks to buy a car while I am working two or three dealers. "No, I don't want paint protection. No, I don't want upholstery protection. Oh, you don't have one on the lot that has not been treated. Well, I'll let you order me one that you haven't prepped. The other dealership said they would. Now, do you want to make a sale or not"?

Last new car I bought I settled on a price I wanted to pay

This is a great way to do it!! Find your own financing !! Lets say you go to a Honda dealer to

buy a Honda, you agree on the price but they dont want to use Honda Motor company financing.

They say that they will get you a better rate with their associate xx financial down the street. Be

wary as they could be working together and you might be paying extra in your loan for a kick

back to the dealer (hidden fees, the real rate is less then your paying)...

And to bring in a check for the final amount is brilliant!! I 've done it, and it works awsome. Now

they are not working to get more money out of you but trying to squeez the car you want on that check!!

With this scenerio they will say we can do but you need to give us a seperate downpayment, no, no, no,

stick with the check amount..

Eric W -- the MPG amounts on the stickers are always overinflated. The conditions at the time of the test

are non real world. Indoors in a lab with no wind resistance, no passengers, no hills. These are the best

poss numbers this car could ever produce.

I now have a 2008 Accord:

GR_exv6_34FRONT.jpg

Thanks to Bruce Gary for prodding me to give the Costco Auto buying program another go. That executive membership card really makes a world of difference in the tenor of the car buying process. The salesman was a complete gentleman, and the finance guy was very polite and low-key when offering me the overpriced options, all of which I declined. No angst. No raised voices. It was a great experience. The final price was fair and I'm happy now that my driving costs will be fixed.

Also, before you buy an extended factory warranty, google your manufacturer's plan. There's a huge amount of variation in prices and terms, so if you indeed plan to keep a vehicle over the long haul and hedge your bets on your maintenance costs, it's worth your time to search. I found plans with better terms that were about 3/4 to 2/3 the price the dealer quoted, and I'm sure it will get better as I search and dicker.

I'm sorry I'm late on this but there's a great way to buy a car that most people miss. The basic premise is have more information than the dealer.

I buy and sell cars with some regularity. When I buy new, I always walk in with the dealer invoice already in hand. They are commonly available online at sites like consumer reports. Not their cheezy reviews, but if you look into their pay services, they offer the complete invoice on the car for each option and what retail is.

So for example, take a Toyota. It retails for $20k. Invoice is $15k. Each accessory has a dollar value which is what it costs the dealer and what the retail cost is. Ie... radio retails for $250. Dealer invoice is $100.

When I walk in to buy that Toyota, I already have the EXACT dealer invoice in hand in black and white. Check written out and paperclipped to the invoice paper work. When the business part of buy a car comes up, I start with the bare invoice, removign all their marketing fees, handling fees, etc... and work UP instead of starting iwth the MSRP and work down. Its always easier to get a better deal when they're trying to add stuff back instead of your trying to get it for free.

So. Walk in with the invoice and know what each option costs the dealer. THAT'S your number. In this economy, they need you, not vice versa. IF they don't accept your offer, leave. They'll call back in an hour... if they don't chase you out to your car. I paid $7k under MSRP on my wife's Grand Cherokee and $3500 under on my Toyota... all from knowing how.

Uhh....that's the Costco program that you just described. Better yet, Costco forces the dealers to provide purchase data as well as follow up to make sure you're happy with the sale. Hate to tell you this, but I paid far more under sticker than your examples, so I'd say that it's a fairly good program.

Edited by EricW

Meanwhile Europe gets the Honda Accord Diesel in 2009 that gets 52mpg.

The lack of good cars in USA is beginning to annoy me.

It's not that we don't have the technology so much as we don't pay enough attention to the polititians; and it costs.

I've told this sometime before, but I'll give the short version here.

In '95 I went into a dealership armed with a laptop with a program that dealers use to purchase cars from the factory and each other (no longer have a copy, I'm afraid). It had all pricing available, but also true dealer cost. I would go to a vehicle, type in the base model code and then hammer in the 3-letter codes for all installed options. The system then showed the true dealer price. The salesman nodded after a few minutes, smiled and agreed (he asked how I got it but I wouldn't say). Then I typed in the Secret Squirrel code and the screen split, showing what THEY paid for the base and each option. He stopped smiling at that point.

I managed a very nice discount once they knew the level of info I had access to, and because I would only deal with the #2 saleman on their monthly total board. When he asked why I would only deal with him, I pointed out it was end of month, and if he wanted to win the prize, I might be his last chance.

The Costco program sounds like a very close parallel to having that dealership software I was using.

I love buying cars. I can't do it as much as I used to, with an infant and one less job, but its still one of my favorite thrills. And I LOVE a good deal. I'm not cheap by any stretch, but I do like to haggle.

Gotta love the fuel economy and performance of todays cars part of your rant.

I think it really boils down to stupid consumers, drivers, and the auto industry telling us what we want versus asking us.

Back in the mid 80's, you could buy at least a dozen nice cars that weighed less than 2500lbs - now they are almost all over 3k...

100hp back could easily keep up with 160hp today...

Why do they keep making the cars bigger and fatter??? WHY??? If I wanted a bigger car, I'd buy the bigger model. Remember when the camry was a compact? Remember when the Rabbit was a sub-compact (and weighed 1800lb soaking wet) - now the mk5 Rabbit is 3100lbs and a few feet larger in every direction :( Sad.