Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3rd Gen SVI?

Joe D

SVI is coming up with a slightly redesigned grip. supposedly some new inovative things. Including gaining ammo.

I remember back when Para redid their mags and frames and we got 2 more out of a .40 mag.

Now what everyone is going to wonder is whether it's just the grip or the frame too. I've had good experiences dealing with SV on parts but don't own one of their guns...I really don't need an excuse to buy/build another!

SVI is coming up with a slightly redesigned grip. supposedly some new inovative things. Including gaining ammo.

I remember back when Para redid their mags and frames and we got 2 more out of a .40 mag.

Now what everyone is going to wonder is whether it's just the grip or the frame too. I've had good experiences dealing with SV on parts but don't own one of their guns...I really don't need an excuse to buy/build another!

Since I'm trying to make up my mind what to order on a new SV, I decided to ask the source, here's the reply I got.....

Sir,

We will be releasing a new grip that is compatible with the current frame in January. All pistols ordered now will include the new grip at the old pricing. The first versions will use the older magazines.

Thanks

Brandon

Edited by JDBraddy

The only way to add rounds now would be to make the gun wider right? I mean we have already maxed out the 140mm limit, so if they make them wider it might add a round I guess but I don't think it would be worth a whole new gun...new grips yeah I might do that.

Hmm...I guess that would mean new, wider mags, right? I hope SVI somehow labels them very carefully, otherwise there are probably going to be problems when they hit the used market and people try to stuff them in a gun with an older skinnier grip.

Also, might this possibly lead to a new arms race with folks wanting to replace their older grips and mags with new ones? I imagine that two extra rounds in .40 will translate into a 9mm big stick that holds around 34 or so.

The mags could just be boxier at the top like the Para or Glock mags. That makes for a slower reload but with the ready availability of magwells so large they have event horizons that shouldn't be a problem.

-ld

This is likely the case since there is already space available in current mags for every caliber other than .45. The ribs in the side of the mags are there to produce the optimum round spacing and could be removed if that alone would increase capacity without harming reliability.

if the mag bodies increase in width, the chance of rounds getting stuck side by side or a round making it past the follower increases doesn't it?
The mags could just be boxier at the top like the Para or Glock mags. That makes for a slower reload but with the ready availability of magwells so large they have event horizons that shouldn't be a problem.

-ld

This is likely the case since there is already space available in current mags for every caliber other than .45. The ribs in the side of the mags are there to produce the optimum round spacing and could be removed if that alone would increase capacity without harming reliability.

This will be an interesting item to keep tags on. Sometime ago I discussed this issue with Brandon at Infinity, but he was being his usual inexcrutable self and remained tight lipped. He would only give me some hints, and said: "you just have to wait and see ... we're still working on it." He is a good businessman, (his dad, Sandy too!) making promises without hanging himself with commitments. <_<

One thing is for sure, they will no longer be needing to rely on STI for continuieng "raw" supplies/grips, other than for "older" replacements. Heck, it may come to the point where shooters may purchase the Infinity grips to replace the STI's, along with the magazines. It bogles the mind. :rolleyes::blink:

Edited to include:

I wonder how long will it take for SPS (in Spain) to copy/re-tool for the new SVI/Infinity grip and mags ?? (L.M.A.O. !!)

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

-ld

Yeah, but if they were just boxier at the top, would it necessitate a redesign? IIRC, the magazine area of the grip frame isn't tapered; it's the same size all the way through.

Not really they will just up the round count to 35 or 36 rounds from 31 or 32 as they do now to make you have to do a reload.

With the new rules in place would they even be able to without a huge ordeal? I'm not even sure if they can have interim rules. Not only that, but it would change the game for other divisions as well....particularly Revolver and Single Stack.

-ld

Yeah, but if they were just boxier at the top, would it necessitate a redesign? IIRC, the magazine area of the grip frame isn't tapered; it's the same size all the way through.

I have no idea. I am just guessing.

-ld

I think it's going to be difficult to do more than box-out the top. There's not much room left sideways (unless they've got some sort of triple-stack thing going) and lengthwise, the mag tuners have gotten it about as good as it's going to get with springs and followers. There's a couple rounds of room at the top that Para makes some use of, but taking much advantage is going to mean even more dinking with the frame.

If SV was going to retool the grip and mag... Since the mag is based on the .45 that nobody uses anymore, why not make it the proper width for a .40 and use the Para taper. This should be good for 22 reloadable. Then the grip could be correspondingly smaller. This could be the big plus.

How many rounds do Para mags {in 9mm} hold when they are stetched to 170mm? With the current spring configuration I don't see 34 rounds {in 9mm} being possible but it would increase capacity.

Wouldn't it be easer to have them just take Para mags also?

This is the frame as well as the grip and has been done before.

They cant be any wider and not have rounds bind in the tube except in the taper, ala Para.

If they were stupid enough to make the grip narrower not allowing all the current mags to fit, what would happen to the vast tooling costs post election?

Edited by blkbrd

As much as I miss... I would like to see about a 40 round magazine... I could shoot faster and miss more, (this mag would ONLY be for 9mm) ... So, you guys could still wonder about the 9mm ADVANTAGE when it come to brass. ( Someone GAVE me 5 gallons of once fired brass for Christmas) Happy New Year!!!

I used to shoot para and I'll tell you for one thing on the reload you want that tapered STI mag. Para mags are also a touch wider than STI/SVI mags as well. A STI mag will fit in a para, hell even work in a para, but not the other way around. If I was to use a para mag design I would use it only as a starting mag unless I had to reload to it. Its just so much easier to reload to STI mags they almost jump in the frame as opposed to para's you really need to hit the hole well.

Edited by steel1212