Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting TV shows.....

dirtypool40

I refuse to watch a segment that tries to destroy a perfectly good firearm.
I have only seen two episodes that were any good. One was the 12/20 gauge where a 20 gauge was dropped down a 12 gauge tube then followed by 12 gauge shell. Now I know why all 20ga shells are yellow. The other was some centerfire rifle cartridge where the powder was replaced with a fast handgun powder. The KB was big and if someone had actually been shooting that gun they probably would be knicknamed Stubby from then on. Educational. The rest of the 'gun tests' and the entire show for that matter is a waste of electricity to watch them.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why tevo is worth every penny.

I can record multiple 1/2 hour shows and watch the 5 min I care about.

It generally involves the AMU or TJ.

I always fast forward through how to destroy a gun segments.

For great gun handling I watch DP or Paul W at a match. For great swimsuit shots I watch TV. :surprise:

Here's a cut and paste of an email I just sent: (name removed for dignity)

Mr. XXXX

I just caught a segment on "PDTV" where you demonstrated various techniques. Congratulations on teaching on PDTV. You are soft spoken and present well. I had some questions rumbling around in my head after the episode. It’s hard to tell what was meant and some of the confusion may be caused by a non-shooter editing the episode for time and sexy footage.

Anyway, onto my questions:

It may have been unfair editing but it really sounded like you said using the isosceles stance would push hits off target at as little as 2-3 yards.

You also showed an old 1950’s isosceles, and a 1970’s vintage Weaver, but no modern stance. I wondered why that was. At first I thought it was edited out for time, but then when you demonstrated the low-light techniques, you shot from a Weaver.

It also looked like you made the point that different guns needed different stances in order to be able to hit with them. I hope this was not the message intended.

Lastly, when you demonstrated transitioning the gun across multiple targets with the laser, the dot from the laser clearly returned to target before you moved it to the next target. This was not what you explained and I was wondering whether it was footage from another drill or just happening so fast it wasn’t intended.

I was just hoping for some clarification on this. It is not often that an instructor gets the chance to teach on TV, and I would hope this mis-information was a product of a non-shooting editor chopping things up.

Thanks for the help in clearing this up.

Sincerely

Eric

My God, you are a master of tact and diplomacy. Who'da thunk it? :lol:

honestly, I did like how he was not overly "tough guy" about things, and I wanted to give him the chance to explain if it was in fact bad editing.

I give him credit for his response, but I still think I'd go somewhere else for current technique.

I'm not really sure just how many non-competitive shooters out there would really understand many of the shooting consepts most of us find as gospel. I for one know I would have a hard time understand Brian Enos' book before I started shooting USPSA two years ago. I just started reading it yesterday (ya I know, a little late in the game, but I'm kinda glad I waited). To start off a new shooter, I think you have to use some sort of structured memorization. Once shooting becomes automatic, THEN you get deeper into things. I would have been absolutely lost on many of the consepts in Brian's book if I read it before shooting competitively. Only recently, have I started to let go during my shooting and really see.

Take a person who shoots maybe 10-12 times a year just for fun and try to explain awareness and focus occur as it happens and that, "concentration is conscious thought and is, therefore, a means of exclusion from the present tense." He WILL ask you where you hid your crack-pipe. Then tell him, "you can either think or do, but you can't actually think AND do at the same time," and he'll start calling you Yoda. (I have this whole paragraph underlined in the book BTW. It's awesome stuff.) This point is, selling [products and services] to the general public is more important than teaching...Therefore, I don't watch them anymore.

Besides, the BE crowd is TONS more entertaining than the current TV shows. We have Z's three rules, Merlins neverending quest for a primer feeder, PB's all blue Glock, Siggy and Sharyn keeping the masses of male pigs in line, and Flex babysitting the chaos. My God, TV just cannot compete with that.

Besides, the BE crowd is TONS more entertaining than the current TV shows. We have Z's three rules, Merlins neverending quest for a primer feeder, PB's all blue Glock, Siggy and Sharyn keeping the masses of male pigs in line, and Flex babysitting the chaos. My God, TV just cannot compete with that.

Excellent summation!!

:cheers:

the BE crowd is TONS more entertaining than the current TV shows. We have Z's three rules, Merlins neverending quest for a primer feeder, PB's all blue Glock, Siggy and Sharyn keeping the masses of male pigs in line, and Flex babysitting the chaos. My God, TV just cannot compete with that.

I was just hoping for modern technique and decent safety shown, but Man!!! you are 2 A's on that. :cheers:

If you wish to be irritated beyond belief, there's a show on call 'Criminal Minds'. One of the characters, 'Dr. Reid', carries a Glock in a hip holster at about 2 o'clock, loose as can be. Makes me nervous everytime my wife pops it on. Someone on that show draws at least once an episode and it is SO painfully hollywood.

post-12328-1198271491.jpg

Edited by Sethmark

:lol: B-E-A-utiful! :cheers:

DP - just found this thread and man are you on target here!

It never fails to amaze me when I glance (rarely) at a gun rag article where the author of the article is clad out in size 3XL tactical wear, vest, gloves, elbow pads, etc and shooting the latest and greatest whatever. Undoubtably there will be a picture of this icon of tactical-ness taken right after the round went off. The gun is pointing 45 degrees up in the air and the caption will read something to the effect of "recoil on X is quite managable as you can see in this picture."

<_<

It never fails to amaze me when I glance (rarely) at a gun rag article where the author of the article is clad out in size 3XL tactical wear, vest, gloves, elbow pads, etc and shooting the latest and greatest whatever. Undoubtably there will be a picture of this icon of tactical-ness taken right after the round went off. The gun is pointing 45 degrees up in the air and the caption will read something to the effect of "recoil on X is quite managable as you can see in this picture."

<_<

:lol::goof::lol:

<_<

and their eyes are scrunched closed. Both of them. :lol:

In other words, the path of the bullet will follow the bones of the forearm, until it is come to bear on the target by using the left hand to bend.

Gee, and I thought that the bullet followed the path given to it by the last bit of the barrel it touched. What was *I* thinking... :blink:

I refuse to watch a segment that tries to destroy a perfectly good firearm.
I have only seen two episodes that were any good. One was the 12/20 gauge where a 20 gauge was dropped down a 12 gauge tube then followed by 12 gauge shell. Now I know why all 20ga shells are yellow. The other was some centerfire rifle cartridge where the powder was replaced with a fast handgun powder. The KB was big and if someone had actually been shooting that gun they probably would be knicknamed Stubby from then on. Educational. The rest of the 'gun tests' and the entire show for that matter is a waste of electricity to watch them.

What always amazes me is regardless of the firearms outcome at the end of the show they ALWAYS are amazed at how well the gun stood up to the test. Don't want to piss off the advertisers....

Now I gotta go cause I got to start working on my Weaver stance with my fat gun!

Did you catch Dick Metcalf hosing the ground in front of the popper in the segment about the Taurus?

yup <_<

And how do we end up with low level gun WRITERS who can't shoot demo-ing things on a TV show?!?!?!?!? How many cross eye dominant, one eye closed, cup and saucer, trigger jerking, plinkers can we put on TV? I'm not being a snob, I'd just like a good example set in technique and safety.

"Besides, the BE crowd is TONS more entertaining than the current TV shows. We have Z's three rules, Merlins neverending quest for a primer feeder, PB's all blue Glock, Siggy and Sharyn keeping the masses of male pigs in line, and Flex babysitting the chaos. My God, TV just cannot compete with that."
Holy cow, that's bound to be a BE.com classic quote!!! EXXXXXcellent!! :D "...masses of male pigs..." BWAHAHAHA...!!!!

Well put!

:cheers:

DP:

I too watched all of those segments. I kind of wondered if some of those folks ever head of an index. Probably not or they would take the time to build one that works. I really got a chuckle out of the notion that the "black" rifle is destined to replace the bolt gun in the hunting arena.

Leatham and Jarrett were on Guns&Ammo T.V. this week, together in the same segment. I hope some of you got to see it. They gave some excellent advice, and the shooting demo was.....well it was Leatham and Jarrett.

That somewhat lame show is worth watching every week if they keep showing the pro tips.

I really got a chuckle out of the notion that the "black" rifle is destined to replace the bolt gun in the hunting arena.

Yup, but I liked the idea that it ain't ok to let the "anti's" attck anything that's not marketed as a didcated hunting gun. 2nd Amen isn't about hunting, never was.

Leatham and Jarrett were on Guns&Ammo T.V. this week, together in the same segment. I hope some of you got to see it. They gave some excellent advice, and the shooting demo was.....well it was Leatham and Jarrett.

That somewhat lame show is worth watching every week if they keep showing the pro tips.

Good point. The last two where they've shown TGO and TJ have been worth the other 28 minutes of drivel. When they were doing the "El Prez" and comparing hit factors I was impressed by Leatham's load. I know he's THE Great One and all but TJ is known for loads, not Rob. He smoked it.

And the load TJ hit demo-ing 1 reload 1 was AWESOME. I know it was "only" a 1.09, but it looked like he really cinched it in 1.09 to fire the alpha for the camera. And out of SS gear? Woof. That's high speed stuff there.

Yup, but I liked the idea that it ain't ok to let the "anti's" attck anything that's not marketed as a didcated hunting gun. 2nd Amen isn't about hunting, never was.

I agree. The part I didn't like is the writers didn't show the many sporting uses of the AR but instead tried to make a "stretch". They lacked the guts to let the 2nd Amendment and the "black rifle" stand on their own merits.

Try this one on for size. I just read a review of the Kahr CW pistol. The writer/tester, came to the conclusion that with pistols of the same size and platform, Kahr CW 9mm vs. .40 S&W, Glock 26 9mm vs. Glock 27 .40 S&W, etc., the .40 S&W will always be more controllable and easier to shoot well. No, it wasn't a misprint or typo. He also proclaimed the Kahr as extremely fast and easy to shoot having accomplished splits as low as one third of a second. :unsure:

I agree. The part I didn't like is the writers didn't show the many sporting uses of the AR but instead tried to make a "stretch". They lacked the guts to let the 2nd Amendment and the "black rifle" stand on their own merits.

Try this one on for size. I just read a review of the Kahr CW pistol. The writer/tester, came to the conclusion that with pistols of the same size and platform, Kahr CW 9mm vs. .40 S&W, Glock 26 9mm vs. Glock 27 .40 S&W, etc., the .40 S&W will always be more controllable and easier to shoot well. No, it wasn't a misprint or typo. He also proclaimed the Kahr as extremely fast and easy to shoot having accomplished splits as low as one third of a second. :unsure:

Not all shooters are as capable as most USPSA shooters on splits... :D