Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice sessions

WDB

When giong to the range for practice do most of you take a mag warm up or start evaluating from the first mag? I assume that goin at it from the first shot would give a better idea of where you stand since this is more match like. Have seen both and been advised both.

I always have a plan for what I want to work on before I hit the range...these are usually things that I have identified from dryfire or previous club matches.

Saul Kirsch has an amazing matrix that you can use to decide what needs the most work...and I seem to recall XRe posting something similar recently...

Found it...HERE.

Each match and each practice you only get one chance to find out what you can do "Cold". We do a rifle shoot too and I like to find out what I can knock down on my cold run, as that match only has one rifle stage for me as part of the team.

At a hand gun match at 8am on Smoke and Hope cold, or 4pm after shooting all day my times have closed to with-in 10% and I am happy with that.

IF you don't know what the difference is in your cold times to wormed up times = You should find out. or the other guy will be taking home the wood.

Information is power and that is part of all the games worth playing ;)

Edited by AlamoShooter

I attend my regularly scheduled live fire practice every 6 to 12 months, without fail. Yes, to warm up I fire 10-10 round groups from a solid bag rest at 25 yards. Then, 100 free-style at 15 yards. 70 unsupported weak hand and 30 strong hand only at 15 yards. That's it. I'm ready to dominate the old, blind and physical disabled veterans at Rio Salado. :)

Seriously, slow group shooting is a great "warm up" to the speed drills. It get me back in time with the gun.

Jim M

• 2 weeks later...
Do you shoot a match warm? Not likely. I start practicing cold, right from the start.

I have tried getting a quick 30-50 round session in that morning before heading out to the match, but haven't been able to tell if it helped, hurt, or niether.

I did feel "More Gooder" about everything however, and THAT always helps.

I am going to keep trying to make this happen when practical until I see a result either Pos or Neg.

in practice I always start out shooting a group to make sure the gun is sighted in and end by shooting a group to make sure the gun is still sighted in. Not only is group shooting good for you, it gives you a little confidence boost when you pull the gun out of the bag the morning of the match knowing it's hitting where it's supposed to.

I dryfire first. I will do a drill dry at least 10 times. Then I confirm with live fire 1 - 5 times depending on if I feel I need (more) work on that skill. I think doing it this way saves $$$.

I think evaluation at every practice session is just a drag. It takes time and energy that I unfortunately don't have in abundance. I'd rather have more time burning in the skill than spending time looking and writing down my times.

I don't "evaluate" in every practice session. I just like doing... It is what it is. But after three to five practice sessions I'll do some evaluation.

I have to say I also start shooting groups at long distance and then get to my program. I always go to the range with a program and this I build from the previous match. (Unfortunately I try and work out why it went wrong so badly). Even if I learn nothing from it(and I always learn a lot) it is still time shooting and shooting is so much more fun than working!