Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MY SIX INCH THREAD

Zerwas

So I'm lookin at all these fantastic 6" pistol that seem to be popping up everywhere "such as". I saw TGO and TJ at limited nationals with their 6" pistols. I was getting more and more intrigued by these longer site radius pistols. Not enough to make me want to buy one (at least not right away), as I was very happy with my SVI 5" site tracker pistol that has been a flawless piece for me. It has brought me up to the M class in limited division. That's good enough, right?

Then I go to the 2007 area 3 match. I was shooting the open division.

There I meet a guy who's name is Howard. Howard a very nice guy, who happens to be shooting in the limited division. I see he has in his holster a 6" pistol that is THE BEST looking 6" gun I had ever seen.

With Howard is a guy named Darryl. Although we had never met, Darryl and I had been going at each other at various WI and Area 5 matches over the last couple of years.

I see Darryl has an extremely fabulous looking 6" pistol in his holster as well.

I don't say anything at first. I just watched the pistols in action. A few stages into the match I ask Howard about his choice in firearms. He tells me everything about the gun.

The curiosity is building up.

Howard asks me if I want to shoot it after the match.

I say, HMMMMM. Sure.

The next day, the match is done. Howard comes up to me as does Darryl and both offer me their respective blasters. Both guys ended up handing me their respective blasters with their bullets (172-174PF). Understand, I just finished a match with my OPEN pistol and I thought going back to a limited gun (any limited gun) would feel like I'm shooting a 500 magnum. To my surprise I shoot both and immediately fall in love with both. So much so, I turn to Darryl and tell him "this is cheating". Both were tack driving machines! I really didn't feel much of a difference in the felt recoil between by open pistol an the 6 in guns. My open blaster shoots pretty flat, so that goes to show how flat shooting these pistols were for me. I took Darryls gun and at a metric target, I open up and pull the trigger as fast as I could accurately place rounds. I was astonished at the group I printed with this gun at 20 yards away.

I had to order one.

So I did.

Howard is now building me one of these fine masterpieces.

Can't wait!!

We'll be expecting photos!

Not to dissapoint! Here are some very early stage photos... I had Howard cut out the front land because of my load procedure (support hand over the slide). These slide cuts will work better for me.

left side of the slide:

slideleft.jpg

right side of the slide:

slideright.jpg

Edited by Zerwas

I've been following the interest "explosion" of these 6" guns for quite some time now. I've used the same 5" STI from "C" class up to "M" class with great success. I always kinda viewed this as an "is it the indian or is it the arrow" situation. What exactly are the benefits here (sight radius, recoil, weight, etc.) and what type of gains have you guys noticed while using this setup? Info and pics appreciated.

I have always wanted to try a 6 in Limited gun. Then one day Howard told me he built a sweet light 6 in. sti. But he wanted me to break it in and work up some loads for it. ( He wanted to shoot open for a while). I said ok. Only took about a 100 rounds or so and I was hooked. Howard let me shoot it for a few months. WOW. Then he built me one. ( Thank You Howard ) I just gave it back to Howard to send off and get chromed. I can't wait to get it back. A 6 in. gun will do everything a 5 in. can and so much more.

I worked up a bunch of diffrent loads with 165, 180 ,and 200 gr Zero bullets. I used Clays , Universal clays ,231 win, VV n320, WST, Bullseye . Howard liked the lighter bullets and I liked the heavy bullets. We both liked the faster powders . I use Clays with the 200 gr. Zero bullets. I have been using Clays in 40 for a long time. Softer recoil. A local bullet caster just made some 220 lead bullets for me to try. Can't wait for the weather to warm up and stop snowing so I can try them .

Before I started shooting the 6 in. gun I was at 89% in Limited . Now I am at 94.4%. The only thing I have changed is going to a 6 in. gun. It is more forgiving on sight picture. ( My old eyes see the front sight better) Sucks getting older. ( Almost 50 )

Steve you picked a good man to build your gun.

Darryl

Edited by Squishy

Thanks guys!!

Slide is a bit over 12, I have a different philosophy on how to balance them out and run heavier slides than most. Moving weight, stationary weight, balance points, spring rates, etc, the whole package needs to be balanced. Overall gun weight comes in at 32-36 ounces depending on exact configuration. The guys that have shot my 6" guns are amazed at how the front sight comes RIGHT back and plants.

So I'm lookin at all these fantastic 6" pistol that seem to be popping up everywhere "such as". I saw TGO and TJ at limited nationals with their 6" pistols. I was getting more and more intrigued by these longer site radius pistols. Not enough to make me want to buy one (at least not right away), as I was very happy with my SVI 5" site tracker pistol that has been a flawless piece for me. It has brought me up to the M class in limited division. That's good enough, right?

There I meet a guy who's name is Howard. Howard a very nice guy, who happens to be shooting in the limited division. I see he has in his holster a 6" pistol that is THE BEST looking 6" gun I had ever seen.

With Howard is a guy named Darryl. Although we had never met, Darryl and I had been going at each other at various WI and Area 5 matches over the last couple of years.

I see Darryl has an extremely fabulous looking 6" pistol in his holster as well.

I don't say anything at first. I just watched the pistols in action. A few stages into the match I ask Howard about his choice in firearms. He tells me everything about the gun.

I say, HMMMMM. Sure.

The next day, the match is done. Howard comes up to me as does Darryl and both offer me their respective blasters. Both guys ended up handing me their respective blasters with their bullets (172-174PF). Understand, I just finished a match with my OPEN pistol and I thought going back to a limited gun (any limited gun) would feel like I'm shooting a 500 magnum. To my surprise I shoot both and immediately fall in love with both. So much so, I turn to Darryl and tell him "this is cheating". Both were tack driving machines! I really didn't feel much of a difference in the felt recoil between by open pistol an the 6 in guns. My open blaster shoots pretty flat, so that goes to show how flat shooting these pistols were for me. I took Darryls gun and at a metric target, I open up and pull the trigger as fast as I could accurately place rounds. I was astonished at the group I printed with this gun at 20 yards away.

I had to order one.

So I did.

Can't wait!!

et tu brute?

I say, HMMMMM. Sure.

I had to order one.

So I did.

Can't wait!!

et tu brute?

Ok Tony, I give.... what does et tu brute mean?

I've seen you shoot Steven.

You will do well no matter what blaster is in you hand.

Best wishes and congratulations on the new 6" gun.

When I get to the point that my gun is holding me back, maybe I'll sip the kool aid too.

I'm a long way from realizing the potential of my 5" SVI...... Someday maybe.

Tony