Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Target Names to match a new rulebook

Jim Norman

OK, THere is a thread over in "Pre-Match" that got me thinking. We have our own rules now, finally. But we still use IPSC names for our targets. Now I understand we may have no choice here as there could be an international copyright or some such, but just for the moment, let us consider what we really would like to call the different targets. And while we are at it, how about making offical a miniture target, one that looks like the Metric, for use in Rifle Matches. It is currently available and is used by many.

So, make your choices and if I haven't included your favorite names, please feel free to add by way of comment.

This isn't scientific nor is it official, so let's keep it light and fun. OK?

Jim

Edited to add the choice of "Classic" under new names for the "Metric"

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

I voted "keep the same," because I'd hate to deny a certain few the joy of being able to get on their soap-box when newbies innocently ask, "....why is THIS called the 'Standard'?" <shrug>

The Standard target is a fun and different challenge, on occasion -- I could care less how it came about, or why some countries use it and others don't.

So far the results look like the resopndents prefer Standard or USPSA Standard for the taret currently known as "Metric"

And they prefer IPSC for the target currently known as Classic.

FOr the Metric, I would be happy to call it Standard or USPSA. As a rule I think most people i know call the Metric; IPSC and the Classic; Turtle or Stop sign.

I did not allow a choice of IPSC for the Metric due to the nature of the question. We have separated from IPSC as to our rule book so I didn't feel that calling the target we use IPSC would be a good idea politically or in point of fact.

One thing I would like to know from those that shoot around the world is this; How many places use the "Metric" how many places could use it but don't and how many places can't use it.

Jim

The new rule book has been distributed so why the reason to change the name of a target now? Or are you trying to gather numbers to present to the board for the next ruile change?

I am not sure when comments of this nature are about true change or just IPSC bashing. I don't think establishing the IPSC target as a turtle is appropriate unless you are willing to add the term humanoid to a USPSA target.

I think is is time for moderators to start appling the same guidelines about USPSA/IPSC as there are with USPSA/IDPA. If you can't say something nice don't say anything.

Leroy,

I am not engaging in IPSC bashing here. I think that it is likely that at nearly every match any of us have ever attended there are a number of shooters that refer to the PC "Classic Target" as either a Turtle or a Stop-sign.

Personally, I would vote in favor of IPSC for the Classic and Standard for the Metric. Neither name is offensive and both are more descriptive of the usage of the two.

As to the reason for starting htis thread, it had to do withthe confusion on another thread discussing the purchase of 1000 targets, an not inconsquentional amount of money.

I thought that maybe we should look at the naming in light of our new USPSA specific rulebook. Maybe when we get around to our first revision, this will be an item we can bring up.

Jim

I could care less what we call them, but since we already know what we're talking about when we say "metric" or "classic," why do we need to reinvent the wheel?
I am not sure when comments of this nature are about true change or just IPSC bashing. I don't think establishing the IPSC target as a turtle is appropriate unless you are willing to add the term humanoid to a USPSA target.

+100 each. Change for the sake of change will only add confusion.

Metric should be the Brussels target.(Bet most of your donnot know where that comes from?) The classic shoulld be the turtle/amoeba target and the Classic target should be the Florida 8, the one I started with. It and the Milpark were the standard targets when I started.

Yes I have been shooting Combat since 1982.

Jay

BTW: If we are getting rid of that PC stuff, how about Field/assault courses again. :rolleyes:

Edited by JayWord

Metric should be the Brussels target.(Bet most of your donnot know where that comes from?) The classic shoulld be the turtle/amoeba target and the Classic target should be the Florida 8, the one I started with. It and the Milpark were the standard targets when I started.

Yes I have been shooting Combat since 1982.

Jay

BTW: If we are getting rid of that PC stuff, how about Field/assault courses again. :rolleyes:

I think the current classic target should be named the "Jay". We can cloak it with a timer holder and shoot it while leaping a Rhodesian Wall (aka "holster test"). :cheers: