Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3N38 in Supercomp

JDBraddy

I checked a couple charts and it looks good to me.... wait on some guys with more loading time to chime it too. That could make major right off the bat... you might consider 8.8 or so to start. You will probably end up at 9-9.3 for major.

Edited by JThompson

I've been compiling the data for 38SC major loads that people have posted here and the lowest 3N38 load I've seen listed as making major was 9.9gr with a 124gr Montana Gold bullet. The highest was 10.4gr with a 125gr Zero JHP, but that was in a shorty with 3 popple holes in the barrel. Most of the loads with 124/125gr bullets were right around 10gr so you should be fine starting at 9 and working up. R,

Edit: I should have said that 9.9gr was the lowest anyone listed as making major with an extra cushion factor i.e. 170pf like you'd want for a match load where you're expecting a chrono stage. Now it seems there are a few lower...more data, cool!

Edited by G-ManBart

One of the guys I shoot with gave me 10 rounds he loaded with 9.0 grains of 3N38 (if I remember the right amount) under a MG 121 IFP and out of my non-hybrid barrel it was a little on the snappy side for me. Could just be a personal feeling though.

Joe W.

I use 10.1 of 3N38 with a 125 gr. Zero JHP in 38 Super through my Brazos Pro Sx.

What is your impression of this load?

I bought a pound of this powder with the intention of working up a load for my Pro Sx.

I've been using 4756 with decent results.

Most of the feedback I have been getting with 3N38 is that is works great but produces a lot of flash.

Tony

Most of the feedback I have been getting with 3N38 is that is works great but produces a lot of flash.

I haven't run a lot of rounds through my SX with 3n38 but I do get the flash somewhat erratically. I can go through an entire practice session without a single flash and then I'll get it every other shot during a COF. It is a little distracting when it starts to flash.

I haven't run a lot of rounds through my SX with 3n38 but I do get the flash somewhat erratically. I can go through an entire practice session without a single flash and then I'll get it every other shot during a COF. It is a little distracting when it starts to flash.

Any 3n38 data for a Brazos BCG Pro 5" w/o popple holes but the 13 port thundercomp. I'm not running SC brass either, but I have winchester, Magtech nickel, and lapua Brass, w zero .355 125g. JHP's, winchester small rifle primers. the 650 arrives in 2 days w the new dies. got some N-105 and 3n38, as well as IMR4756 but I hear you'll practically fill the case w the IMR.. any truths to that?

Any 3n38 data for a Brazos BCG Pro 5" w/o popple holes but the 13 port thundercomp. I'm not running SC brass either, but I have winchester, Magtech nickel, and lapua Brass, w zero .355 125g. JHP's, winchester small rifle primers. the 650 arrives in 2 days w the new dies. got some N-105 and 3n38, as well as IMR4756 but I hear you'll practically fill the case w the IMR.. any truths to that?

If your gun is set up for 38 super, the Lapua brass may give you some issues as it rimless and is interchangeable with Supercomp, not Super. However, many guns will run both the rimmed and rimless brass equally well. One other thing about the Lapua brass is that you'll have to use a lot less powder as the case capacity is much smaller. You'll probably want to adjust your load down about .4-.6 gr to get the same pf as you would out of a super case. You'll probably have to load these separately to avoid excess pressure.

With that said, all three of those powders are fairly bulky. The 3n38 will probably fill the case the least. You'll have to go a little on the slow side to keep the powder from spilling out while indexing.

These loads were chronographed today, 20 rounds of each load averaged

75 degrees Sunny

VV 3N38

Starline 38 Super Comp brass

Zero 125 gr JHP

Win SRP

1.235 OAL

9.6 gr / 1321 FPS / 163.7 PF

9.8 gr / 1340 FPS / 165.1 PF

10.1 gr / 1340 FPS / 167.5 PF

10.4 gr / 1372 FPS / 171.5 PF

The dot reacted basically the same with the 10.1 and 10.4 gr loads. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
In 38 Supercomp, using new Starline brass, a 125 Montana Gold JHP and WSP primer, is 9.0gr of 3N38 a safe starting load?

491113766_c8e1e1796d_o.jpg

How many holes in the barrel. In an SVI IMM I use 10.2g on a 121g and 9,7g on a 124g. It has 4 hybrid holes, If you dont have any holes you might want to back off to around 8.8- 9.0 to start with. Chrono that load and then work up or down from there.

• 1 month later...
If you like the 3n38 you may want to try 350.... I think it gives me a little flatter shooting gun...

+1

I used 9.7gr 3n38 to get 170pf out of my open gun. Has 2 small popple holes and the comp.

It takes 8.0gr of n350 to get me 170pf and it is much flatter shooting as well. The other thing is with the amount of concussion felt by the shooter, the n350 is much less.