Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1967 vs. 2007

benos

1967 vs. 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls

into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1967 - Vice principal comes over to look at Jack's

shotgun. He goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock-down, and FB I is

called. Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun

again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after

school.

1967 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake

hands and end up best friends.

2007 - Police called. SWAT team arrives. Johnny and

Mark are arrested and charged with assault. Both are expelled even

though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts

other students.

1967 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good

paddling by the principal. He returns to class, sits still, and does

not

disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is diagnosed with ADD and given huge

doses of Ritalin and becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from

State because Jeffrey has a learning disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car

and his dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1967 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up

normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse.

Billy is placed in foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist

convinces Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself, and

their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark has a headache and brings some aspirin to

school.

1967 - Mark takes aspirin in lunchroom and headache

goes away.

2007 - Police called. Mark is expelled from school

for drug violations. Car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails English in high school.

1967 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English,

goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state.

Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English

as

a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action n

lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher.

English

banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given a diploma anyway but ends

up

mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from

4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a

fire

ant hill.

1967 - Ants die.

2007 - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms,

Homeland Security, and FBI called. Johnny is charged with domestic

terrorism. The FBI investigates parents; siblings are removed from

home; computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad goes on Terror Watch List and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Jimmy falls while running during recess and

scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher who hugs him to

comfort him.

1967 - In a short time, Jimmy feels better and goes on

playing.

2007 - Teacher is accused of being a sexual predator

and loses her job. She faces three years in state prison. Jimmy

undergoes five years of therapy

In 1981 my brother bought a shotgun from our high school tennis coach, we took it home on the school bus. Those days are gone for good. We were raised to understand that freedom and responsibility go hand in hand. Parents have got to step up to the plate and raise there kids to have values, the school system is not going to do it for them.

Sad but true.

We used to hunt after school with our football coach and shop teacher.

In college I kept a rifle and shotgun in my dorm room. My biology

professor provided me with a great place to hunt. I too am grateful

to have grown up in the time that I did.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts

other students.

1967 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good

paddling by the principal. He returns to class, sits still, and does

not

disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is diagnosed with ADD and given huge

doses of Ritalin and becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from

State because Jeffrey has a learning disability.

Lots of good stuff in the post, but this one ....

ADD and ADHD are not "protected" disabilities under section 504 or the IDEA act. In other words, even if a child is diagnosed with ADD / ADHD, the school, in most cases, has no obligation to put the child on an IEP, or provide more assistance. To qualify for protection under 504, a child must "have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities including learning and behavior." The decision is ultimately left up to the school district, and most do not put students with ADD/ADHD into this class.

The IDEA act lists 13 specific disabilties, and ADD/ADHD is not one of them. So, even if a child is diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, there's no guarantee that the school will put the child on an IEP, or get more government money.

Schools have no authority to recommend or require that students take prescription drugs, but a lot of people think they do.

How do I know this? I find out on Monday if my kid has ADD ...

There are still a few places where hunting happens after school. Just last year, I was in a VERY small town in just to the east of nowhere, NM and kids where leaving the high school getting guns out of trucks and haulin' ass down the road after jackrabbits.

It brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eyes. This is probably the last time I'll ever get to see this.

Good hunting! :D

In 64 I often walked through the town of Plano TX going to hunt rabbits on the other side of town carrying my H&R single shot 12 gage. No one blinked. I carried my shotgun into the Western Auto to buy shells. No one thought anything of it. I took my old Mossberg .22 to school and cut out the bottom of the stock to fit a magazine and convert it from single shot to a 7 shot repeater then refinished the stock.... No one freaked...

Those days are GONE.....

In 64 I often walked through the town of Plano TX going to hunt rabbits damnyankees on the other side of town carrying my H&R single shot 12 gage. No one blinked. I carried my shotgun into the Western Auto to buy shells. No one thought anything of it. I took my old Mossberg .22 to school and cut out the bottom of the stock to fit a magazine and convert it from single shot to a 7 shot repeater then refinished the stock.... No one freaked...

Those days are GONE.....

In 64 I often walked through the town of Plano TX going to hunt rabbits damnyankees on the other side of town carrying my H&R single shot 12 gage. No one blinked. I carried my shotgun into the Western Auto to buy shells. No one thought anything of it. I took my old Mossberg .22 to school and cut out the bottom of the stock to fit a magazine and convert it from single shot to a 7 shot repeater then refinished the stock.... No one freaked...

Those days are GONE.....143 years gone.

Those days are GONE.....143 years gone.

Priceless.

Other than Greenie stick-um caps and shoot'em shells, the first real firearm I touched was a .22 rifle under the supervision of a what ever they called a rookie priest at a Catholic day camp! In a Chicago suburb! I really don't want to say the year but it was in the 1900's

As for ADD:

Did you hear about the drug-free ADD treatment? It's called "Shut up, sit down, do your homework"...

I was born with a six gun in my hand...well allmost :mellow:

Built a 50 cal percussion pistol in junior high metal shop..traded it to a kid for a beretta 25auto..at school :mellow:

I showed it to my dad...he said ...(damn automatics!!!)...he took it away from me <_<

Couple weeks later...he came in my room Handed me a SW model 10...said ..Here this is a real gun :)

I love my Daddy :wub:

Jim

I spent nearly every minute of 1967 on my senior trip - in sunny Southeast Asia.

I carried a handgun - in a shoulder holster, under my uniform - on two different flights on the way home for Christmas. Try that in 2007.

I went to a high school in the District of Columbia and we had an active rifle team, we studied military science and we had M1's and Springfields.

The world has not become any better.

Great post, but I can't see the humor in it.

Lucky for me that I grew up close enough to the 67' time period to enjoy the benefits.

As a whole, I see nothing that proves the country isn't going straight to the crapper since the effort to turn us all into wussies started.

I spent nearly every minute of 1967 on my senior trip - in sunny Southeast Asia.

I carried a handgun - in a shoulder holster, under my uniform - on two different flights on the way home for Christmas. Try that in 2007.

I went to a high school in the District of Columbia and we had an active rifle team, we studied military science and we had M1's and Springfields.

The world has not become any better.

Fast forward from 67 to 77 - my Baltimore High School had gone from being a military school to civilian; then coed. 4 years later, I was on their rifle team and we shot on campus - until the headmaster decided to have the on-campus program shut down and called the state's OSHA out to issue an injuction on our own range. We shot for 1 year as guests of a National Guard armory until he killed the program entirely; dunno what happened to the rifles, though they were likely DCM property. Sad.

During one year in law school in 1995, I remember the fact that the U.S. surpassed the 1 million mark for lawyers in practice. That equals today roughly 1 lawyer for every 300 people in the U.S. Many of the silly rules we have today are the result of lawsuits - suits that were often about money, but which had to use the cover of "safety issues" as cover to appear legitimate. This thread is a good one (thanks Brian) and I don't want to see it shut for political reasons; if you are interested in reading about both sides of what I believe to be the issue here, you might google the term: "tort reform."

:cheers:

Edited by Carlos