Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket Glock Barrels

Bear1142

I was interested in getting an aftermarket barrel for my Glock 35. I'm leaning towards a Bar-sto, but I'm curious about your experiences. Which ones have y'all tried and did you get any noticeable improvement? Is it worth the cost of a new barrel? Also, I'm not interested in shooting lead, just wanted to tighten up my 35's accuracy. It's not bad (3"@25yd), just curious if it was worth it.

I researched this several months ago and also purchased a KKM barrel for my son. The Bar-sto barrel has a great reputation but for the type of shooting we are doing I did not see the need to spend the extra $$ on the Bar-sto. My son is very happy with the KKM's accuracy and he likes the look of the stainless.

Jim

I currently have several Glock’s that I use for IDPA and USPSA/IPSC competition with KKM, Briley and Bar-Sto barrels and it’s my honest opinion that for the money you cant go wrong with KKM.

My first after-market barrel came in Bar-Sto's 6" top end for the Glock 21. Accuracy is phenomenal. If I do my part then I can put ten rounds in one ragged hole at 15 yards ---- something I can't do with any of the Glock 9mms I own, yet. I have heard nothing but good things about KKM however, and if I was looking for a barrel and comp, they would be my first stop. For a straight tube, I'll stay with Bar-Sto.

Agreed on the Bar-Sto tube if you are not looking for a comp/bbl combo. My 6" Bar-Sto bbl on my 17L gives me "phenomenal" accuracy too, especially compared to the factory Glock bbl (Nik is not kidding here).

Regards,

Glad to hear your experiences with the Barsto Nik and George.

I could get my hands on a new 6" Barsto.

It wil be fitted in my next G35 wich is almost ready :)

But because i have to attend the boxrule my smith will also shorten it and give it a targetcrowning too

Can't wait to use this new gun....

Btw did anyone of you notice significant difference in measured pf.

In my current G35 with stockbarrel i have a nice shooting recipe that gives me a nice 176pf

Can i expect a higer or lower pf if shot through the Barstobarrel?

Greetings

Adrie

Can i expect a higer or lower pf if shot through the Barstobarrel

A33435, That is a "loaded" question. If the Bar-Sto is a tighter, or looser barrel (very slightly larger/smaller diameter bore), or the rifling style change causes a pressure increase, or decrease, then you will have a PF change. Seeing as this is a major PF load you are talking about here, it would be best to download it at first. Then work up over a chrono to be sure that the new bbl is not going to cause excess pressures with the existing load. Slugging the bbl's and comparing the actual diameters will not say anything for certain because of smoothness/rifling differences, and their impact on the pressure curve.

Regards,

I know this has been beat to death, but can you shoot 40S&W lead throught the Bar-Sto without ANY worry, considering you clean it every 500rnds or so? I'll probably be getting a G35 soon and would want to use it in IDPA/IPSC with lead (I'm cheap) and would like accuracy AND lead shooting.

I went cheap--I picked up one of the olympic barrels. It dropped right in and has given me zero problems. Accuracy? I don't know. I'm a lousy accuracy shooter. It didn't get worse when I put the new barrel in.

I was interested in getting an aftermarket barrel for my Glock 35. I'm leaning towards a Bar-sto, but I'm curious about your experiences. Which ones have y'all tried and did you get any noticeable improvement? Is it worth the cost of a new barrel? Also, I'm not interested in shooting lead, just wanted to tighten up my 35's accuracy. It's not bad (3"@25yd), just curious if it was worth it.

Bear,

You have plenty of gun...just keep shooting it as is. B)

(Buy primers with the money you save.)

NO BARSTO!!!!! I have had no luck with the Tech Support with BarSto. I had one in my G-17 and nothing would group. Hot loads, light loads, NOTHING!!! My 12ga held a tighter pattern at 10 yards, LITERALLY!

The specs state that the diminsions are "TIGHTER" than stock, BULL! All, save one, are .003- .015 loser than the stock glock barrel. The chamber is .023 too deep and out of spec. Don't waste your money on a Glock barrel from BarSto. Hell, Brownells doesn't even carry them any more due to the HIGH Return Rate.

Look at KKM of even Federal, but stay away from BarSto!!!

Later,

Glockn...

All, save one, are .003- .015 loser than the stock glock barrel.  The chamber is .023 too deep and out of spec

G'Spiel, I am sorry for your lousy experience, but still consider Irv (Jr.), and company to be one of the premier pistol bbl makers in the US.

I got the Bar-Sto bbl for my 17L through my old g'smith who ordered it slightly oversized (directly from Irv Jr. on the phone, while I listened in the background). It was then carefully fit, and chamber reamed to close tolerances. I think bbl fitting is something that is mostly overlooked in today's "plug-n-play" world. I have noticed some Bar-Sto bbls to not like lead until they are broken in, or fire lapped, but I have never heard of a poorly cut one not being dealt with properly by the good folks out in our fair SoCal desert. http://www.barsto.com/

Regards,

NO BARSTO!!!!!  I have had no luck with the Tech Support with BarSto.  I had one in my G-17 and nothing would group.  Hot loads, light loads, NOTHING!!!  My 12ga held a tighter pattern at 10 yards, LITERALLY!

The specs state that the diminsions are "TIGHTER" than stock, BULL!  All, save one, are .003- .015 loser than the stock glock barrel.  The chamber is .023 too deep and out of spec.  Don't waste your money on a Glock barrel from BarSto.  Hell, Brownells doesn't even carry them any more due to the HIGH Return Rate.

Look at KKM of even Federal, but stay away from BarSto!!!

Later,

Glockn...

Was the barrel fitted or drop in? If fitted who fitted it? was it done correctly? Did you ever call barsto and talk to Irv about your problems? Did you send the gun to him or any other competent smiths to check it out? Did you check to make sure your ammo was in spec, not overcrimped etc?

If you have a problem call the shop that fit the barrel or call Barsto, they will stand behind their product.

As far as brownells goes, its not because of return rate. Barsto stopped selling to brownelles because brownelles screws legitimate dealers across the country.

It was a Drop-in. I did talk with Irv, but all he could do was ask that I send my G-17 to him. I don't think that I should spend $40 in S&H to get something fixed that shouldn't be broken.

I am a toolmaker and have access to all kinds of Hi-Tech gadgets, like a "CMM" , and checked the chamber depth. It measured .023 too deep. I had way too many soft hits while using that bbl. Also, Irv stated that the chamber depth didn't matter and that a 9mm bbl with a 9x23 chamber would still group. In reality, all I got was scattered pattern. Hot, warm, light, lead, plated, or jacketed, 46 different loads and NONE would group. Like I stated before, all the diminsions that were supposed to be (according to the ad) tighter than stock, were actually smaller (read Undersize) allowing the bbl to wiggle slightly when in battery. Not even a well shot stock bbl did this.

I would be suspicious of any product that Brownells has stopped carrying due to overwhelming returns due to poor quality.

Maybe I would be more forgiving if someone at BarSto (IRV) would refund my money that I feel was wasted on their product, but the chances of that after 1.5 years of trying to get it to work are slim and NONE!

I don't feel that I need to spend more on a product that is flawed and has already cost me an initial $185, plus all the cash outlaid for different powders, bullets, primers, and all the time that I spent trying to get it to work.

BarSto built a name for themselves with the 1911 bbls that they used to make. Their QC has gone the way of the wind and I will never recommend or purchase another of their products.

Sorry for the rant, but this topic pisses me off...

Later,

Glockn...