Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Blaster on Long Dust Frame?

ahtsay

Hello guys. I've been shooting Standard Div for the past year and I've been intrigued with shooting an open gun. I was thinking of having my gunsmith build me an open gun on an STi frame with LD cover. Can this be done without compromising performance? Watching the DVD of the last World Shoot, there were a lot of Australians shooting open with really long frames. It actually looks really heavy....but if its good enough for them, maybe its good enough for a newb...or is it? :lol:

Also can I use a unique slide with the wide frame? (I think it will look awkward) I've been slowly "hoarding" parts for this open gun and so already have a unique slide on hand. Anyways, any advice pros/cons will be greatly appreciated. This will be my first open gun and I was hoping to get it right the first time :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!

<_<I Have a new Long wide dust cover STI frame only , ready for a build = I will most likely sell it. But you don't want it.

If you shot other games besides IPSC that required a long slow shots that kind of a setup would be good, Or if you had it as a training aid. Open is about speed = speed to get the gun moving and speed to stop it on target. The comp is supposed to soak up the recoil. The heavy frame will soak it up for a limited gun as an open gun it will just slow you down.

Any chance the Australian guys you saw did not have a comp on the gun?

A good gun smith will help you with your build.

Benny listened to what I wanted, and how I shot, What my strong point were and what I need improvement on. He built the gun I needed.

You may not know it but you will not want a long dust cover on an Open gun. I bet it would be great for a starter gun though to make you accurate.

On my open gun, I went with a standard length but wide frame (STI). This was because I wanted to add a little weight in the hand and have more meat for the scope mount screws.

This was a change from my previous open guns which had the standard frame, slide cut like a Beretta and titanium comp.

I got use to the additional weight and really like the new gun. You can always change some weight by going to a heavier/lighter guide rod.

Try to find someone with a gun in the configuration you're thinking about and ask if you can shoot it.

Good luck

My shooting buddy purchased a .40 limited gun with a long wide dust cover and decided after a few matches that Limited was simply not for him. He wanted to convert the gun to an open gun but did not want to whack the dustcover off and ruin the hard chrome. We put an Open top end on the gun and he has been shooting it for years and loves it. He likes how soft and flat the gun feels and claims it has spoiled him from anything else.

If you like heavy guns, that might be the right plan for you too!

some of us old guys saw frames with cracks at the scope mount. So lots of us go to the wide frame over the standard.

same as HI5-0 I like the wide frame but standard length + Lots of meat for the scope mount.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Hello guys. I've been shooting Standard Div for the past year and I've been intrigued with shooting an open gun. I was thinking of having my gunsmith build me an open gun on an STi frame with LD cover. Can this be done without compromising performance? Watching the DVD of the last World Shoot, there were a lot of Australians shooting open with really long frames. It actually looks really heavy....but if its good enough for them, maybe its good enough for a newb...or is it? :lol:

Also can I use a unique slide with the wide frame? (I think it will look awkward) I've been slowly "hoarding" parts for this open gun and so already have a unique slide on hand. Anyways, any advice pros/cons will be greatly appreciated. This will be my first open gun and I was hoping to get it right the first time :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!

As they say: "different strokes for different folks..."

I particularly hate it when shooters reccomend guns strictly based on their own "biased" opinions of what works for them, without really asking themselves if it, maybe, just maybe it would/could work fine for somebody else in a different configuration or environment.

I have built a few heavy framed Open guns (and some very, very light ones too!!) for some shooters at their requests. Some stayed with them, while others had them altered or moved on to sometthing different. Just like a Super light Limited gun or a Shorty Open gun, they are not just for everyone. But they do fit the bill for some shooters. Hell, if you already have the frame, why not ? You could always cut it down later if it didn't suit you.

RadCatSamples001.jpg

This is a gun I built for someone out of some parts he had around. It started as a 6" long wide dust cover and a 6" classic slide. He wanted iron sights. I "rebated" the slide considerably and lightened it a lot. Used a 6" barrel and one of my Hyper-Jet Comps. That thing cycled very fast and the sights stayed right on. He said he did not have any problems putting the brakes on. But then, he is a Master shooter too. Later on he had a C-More installed.

At the recent Florida Monster match, one of the highest placing Open gun shooters, cleaned up the "Pet Cemetery" complete field of steel targets in a blazing time using an Open gun with a full lenght wide dust cover with a full profile (Unique) slide, and a Titanium comp. Now he was not a big bodied person, yet he handled it just fine.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

:bow: Venry AKA Mr RPD I always try to read your post, I like the way you put your thoughts and facts to print.

Always good -Real- information You are rite on target with this one too, like always.

I bet when you do decide to tell a joke its only a great one.

hope to meet you soon

Jamie

:o Your that guy that was wrong ...Once ?....Thought you had made a mistake ;) NO no ..That guy was my Dad

Don't you just love this forum!!! :cheers: Wish I could buy all you guys a cold one, thanks so much for all the replies :D

Venry thats a very nice looking gun....actually I love all 3 of them!!! hahaha!!! I think in order to pull this off, I may need a "Unique" slide. A classic slide will look awkward. Is it possible to add lightening cuts to the dust cover so that the weight will be at least closer to a short dust? Will this help?

BrianH, is that an SV scope mount? Would you know who carries them? Looks really good and I bet I can save a lot of weight with it.

Alamo, you're right, being my first open blaster, a heavier gun will make a great training gun. Hey, take a look at what they do down-under

http://www.jppimports.com/customGuns/SVdetail.asp?svID=14 :D I believe they are using 7 inch frames for it too!!

Anyways, thanks again for all the help. If you guys have more pics, please post them, they would be a great help!

BrianH, is that an SV scope mount? Would you know who carries them? Looks really good and I bet I can save a lot of weight with it.

That pic is over 2 years old so I wouldn't know where to get one other than Infinity and they're out of stock.

Most builders will use the classic cut slide because it weighs less. Most feel that the standard dust shield looks best with it and is lighter. The classic slide with a long dust shield will add a little weight up front, if that is what you want, but it seems to look a bit odd to most and may need some dressing up.

You should be able to build a fast and efficient gun if you follow some basic facts.

10.0-10.5oz. slide weight

8.0-8.7oz. comp/barrel weight

medium size comp, 3-4 vertical ports (depending on caliber used)

Good luck, if you are going to try and change the basic facts with personal opinions or voo-doo.

I have an STi classic slide and an STi Trubor with SX Comp that I got from Brazos. Would you know how much they weigh? I'm not an expert but I know getting the slide too light would lead it to open prematurely (I can't remember the term). Would you recommend that I use a unique slide instead of a classic? Thanks again guys! :)

I have an STi classic slide and an STi Trubor with SX Comp that I got from Brazos. Would you know how much they weigh? I'm not an expert but I know getting the slide too light would lead it to open prematurely (I can't remember the term). Would you recommend that I use a unique slide instead of a classic? Thanks again guys! :)

I installed one earlier this week. The barrel/comp weighed 9.0oz. The slide weighed 10.2oz. It came out OK.post-8081-1195917191.jpg

Alamo, you're right, being my first open blaster, a heavier gun will make a great training gun. Hey, take a look at what they do down-under

http://www.jppimports.com/customGuns/SVdetail.asp?svID=14 I believe they are using 7 inch frames for it too!!

I thought guns were outlawed in Australia. Did the law change?

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I believe they have some restrictions, though not outlawed. Maybe nothing 40 or bigger (handgun). I think there is a (minimum?) barrel length, which is why Glock came out with a G17 with a proud barrel? There might be a capacity restrictions as well.

All this from my foggy recollection of what I've read, so take it with a grain of salt.

[/drift off]

Brian H,

That open gun is Bad A**. I haven't seen a long dustcover open gun that I like the looks of, but yours I love. Any more info on it?

Since he wanted the V-ports that was going to pull a lot of gas from the comp so I figured I could save some size/weight with a 3x2 titanium comp; and since the spring tunnel is concealed by the frame most of it is cut away. He also sent this goofy slide racker that required a rather large slot on the back of the slide, so that took quite a bit more steel away. The drag with that was it was 7075 and too brittle so I remade it out of 6061. All in all the weight balance was great and the gun shot nice. If you balance the weight properly long dustcover makes a great open gun.

I installed one earlier this week. The barrel/comp weighed 9.0oz. The slide weighed 10.2oz. It came out OK.post-8081-1195917191.jpg

Hey that's my gun!! Although it's in the mail and I haven't touched it since Gary did the work (Gary's a genius, by the way), I just wanted to say it's better than just ...OK,........OK!

http://www.jppimports.com/customGuns/SVdetail.asp?svID=14 I believe they are using 7 inch frames for it too!!

I thought guns were outlawed in Australia. Did the law change?

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I believe they have some restrictions, though not outlawed. Maybe nothing 40 or bigger (handgun). I think there is a (minimum?) barrel length, which is why Glock came out with a G17 with a proud barrel? There might be a capacity restrictions as well.

All this from my foggy recollection of what I've read, so take it with a grain of salt.

[/drift off]

Yeah, nothing over .38/9mm or so, and no short barrels, among other things. That's why the Aussies were pushing for .357 Sig to qualify for Major in Standard at the IPSC meeting at the EHC.

I saw some of their guns at the WS, and they do like the heavy frame/heavy comp setups paired to a lightened slide.

Btw, here's the 5" LHDC I made M with-- not only did it have a LHDC, but a Unique slide (w/beretta-style cuts) full bull barrel and an Aimpoint. Gawd, I don't know how I could possibly have been competitive :D :D :D

Bag2Lock.jpg

I have this idea for a long dust cover, shortened slide, take the weight down, get some uncycling mass, Shoot for the same 40oz weight, but have the weight be non cycling.

Would you have to cut down the barrel for this? Or do you keep the gun the same length and just shorten the slide that moves back? Sounds like a plan....do you have a pic? :lol: