Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open vs Limited...... which is more fun?

Another sad tale of a thread that started life asking questions about Open vs Limited and degenerated into ....

Well ..... you know how we love to thread drift here at BE <_<

I think the only true way to answer this question would be to start a POLL!!! ;)

My vote of course would be for OPEN!

I think Teddy Rosevelt was once quoted as saying "Shoot fast & carry a big stick!"

:surprise::D:lol:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The guns were empty and they boiled at him, transmogrified into an Eye and a Hand, and he stood, screaming and reloading, his mind far away and absent, letting his hands do their reloading trick. Could he hold up a hand, tell them he had spent a thousand years learning this trick and others, tell them of the guns and the blood that had blessed them? Not with his mouth. But his hands could speak their own tale."

A cookie to the one who knows where the quote is from....

Well, that would be from one of the Gunslinger series by Stephen King, would it not?? Roland was a badass w/ those single actions....

ETA - Neomet beat me to it... well done, man ;)

Edited by XRe

How about Production..... Also know as the land of perpetual reloading! :cheers:

Got ya beat. I routinely shoot revolver. Now THAT is a "real man's" division, which probably explains why I do so poorly in it. :blink:

Ah yes, the revolver--an elegant weapon of a more civilized time.....

"The guns were empty and they boiled at him, transmogrified into an Eye and a Hand, and he stood, screaming and reloading, his mind far away and absent, letting his hands do their reloading trick. Could he hold up a hand, tell them he had spent a thousand years learning this trick and others, tell them of the guns and the blood that had blessed them? Not with his mouth. But his hands could speak their own tale."

A cookie to the one who knows where the quote is from....

I believe that would be Mr. King's Dark Tower.

Plain sugar cookie please!

Yes, and the book was "The Gunslinger"

sugar.jpg

I just so happen to be reading that book at the moment. It's a damn good one, too.

I tried.

Okay Micah, I know a challenge when I hear it.

NTPS, second Saturday in December. If you can beat me I'll buy all the beer you can drink after the match. :cheers:

I warn you.

While your gun is empty and they boil at you, transmogrified into an Eye and a Hand, you may stand, screaming and reloading, your mind far away and absent, letting your hands do their reloading trick. You could hold up a hand, tell them you had spent a thousand years learning this trick and others, tell them of the guns and the blood that had blessed them? Not with your mouth. But your hands could speak their own tale."

And whilst you are doing all that, I will not be standing with my gun empty, screaming or reloading, mind far away and doing any reloading trick.

I will be blasting holes in targets for my reloading trick will be done when the RO speaks his well known tale "Load and Make Ready". ;)

Tony

Edited by 38superman

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is EASY!

We almost all uses the frase DVC, and that stands for Power, Speed and Accuracy. We who are shooting IPSC are all trying to live by this "rule". If you really paid attention to DVC we would'nt have to have divisions.

Power: we all in major have power

Speed: Open is fast, every thing else is slower

Accuracy: Open guns are not more accurate, but IS more accurate if combined with speed.

Answer: IPSC/USPSA = Open, Paralympic = Every thing with iron sights (and are short of a big stick).

I pray for Beta-C mags in 38 Super and 75 round stages!

Edited by fastgun

This is EASY!

We almost all uses the frase DVC, and that stands for Power, Speed and Accuracy. We who are shooting IPSC are all trying to live by this "rule". If you really paid attention to DVC we would'nt have to have divisions.

Power: we all in major have power

Speed: Open is fast, every thing else is slower

Accuracy: Open guns are not more accurate, but IS more accurate if combined with speed.

Answer: IPSC/USPSA = Open, Paralympic = Every thing with iron sights (and are short of a big stick).

I pray for Beta-C mags in 38 Super and 75 round stages!

Yes but you forgot about the word "practical" that is present in the name of our sport. ;)

OK, shot my new to me Open blaster today for the first time. The disdain I once had running open shooters is now tempered with the fact they are a blast to shoot. Things I noticed:

the gun is unbelievably accurate, popped alphas at 50yds like it was nothing

strong and weak hand shots were easy to keep in the A zone also

my draws were slow to make sure we "had" the dot

the damn thing is still loud even double plugging.

steels are much easier to find and nail

fun factor is definately a 10

loose the dot weak/strong hand can be interesting to say the least.

freestyle the dot is easy to maintain

I can't shoot as fast as the dot

even with movement the dot is easy to maintain freestyle

Do I like it better than my Limited gun? Yes

Will I shoot it more than my Limited gun? Not likely, at least until I can cope with paying for brass.

Just my initial reaction to my first time ever shooting an open gun :cheers::cheers:

EZ Bagger.....Is that concrete abutment under the highway at PASA park's entrance? Just wondering. I can't remember it exactly but your shot sure looks familiar!

I'm 56, only hadda wear readers 4 years now, I was really lucky. I had lasik just about the same time, as my eyesight was terrible from 2nd grade on. My readers didn't change but my distance vision is now 20/15 or so.

I'm still shooting Limited, tho I haven't shot a lot the last three years or so. I put a red fiber optic front sight on and I can ALWAYS find it even if I can't be reaalllll precise, say from the 50. Most matches aren't designed like that anymore anyway, and I can see the front sight well enough to get by.

Something else I tried.....I wear 1.75x reading glasses ($5.00, Walgreens on sale!) so I bought a couple extra pair in 1.25x and 1.0x. I haven't bought any shooting glasses with that built into the lenses but I think it'd work very well. I can see downrange PRETTY good, and I can see the sights PRETTY good, no worries running or anything else other than not being able to see if ol' Mike has visited my 20 yd target! I wear Gargoyle sunglasses as my shooters and they're just about big enough to wear OVER the 1.0x readers. If I wasn't so damn big it'd work fine!

Anyway, you might try that trick if you'd like to stay with Limited. On the other hand....shoot both! ST

It's more fun to beat open shooters with a limited gun. :D

Better yet, a single stack. :devil:

Best, a production minor. :bow:

Of course now a days the open shooters are too damn good and I suck . . . so I guess shooting open is probably more fun.

In all seriousness, open probably has the opportunity to truly demonstrate YOU'RE limit of human function (in other words, the blaster won't hold you back). And how can that NOT be fun????? :goof:

That said, I shot open for many years. I haven't shot open in many years. I doubt I ever go back. The iron sights are a ton of fun and don't kid yourself, limited is a pretty stacked division at most matches! ;)

J

Edited by j1b

How about Production..... Also know as the land of perpetual reloading! :cheers:

Got ya beat. I routinely shoot revolver. Now THAT is a "real man's" division, which probably explains why I do so poorly in it. :blink:

Its even more fun to beat all of the bottom feeders with a revolver.

Its even more fun to beat all of the bottom feeders with a revolver.

Huh? bottom feeders? mmmmmmm, you promise not to laugh while I'm looking for the dot this Tuesday, should be interesting :ph34r:

A slighty different angle on the debate....

Open is normally faster than Limited, except when the temps drop below zero. Then open gun malfunctions slow you down :angry2: and the limited gun would be more fun :rolleyes: .

I wish I would have been shooting limited yesterday instead of open...