Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was the Tru-Sight a bust?

North

Personally I'm not a fan of the heavy guns like that and the "Sight tracker" and let's be honest, the Tru-Site is just an unfortunate looking pistol. :unsure:

It's a decent idea, and if they'd sell the short block a good smith might be able to purty it up enough, but for that kind of money I kain't shoot no yoogly gun.

Edited by dirtypool40

It doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like you would WANT your F & R sights to stay in line with each other ... not the other way around. :huh:

Maybe I'm crazy, but if so then would someone please help me figure out why none of the top shooters are using them.

The idea is the non-reciprocating front sight, and (hopefully) being able to track it better through recoil.

I've shot them, and didn't notice nearly the difference I thought I would.

It's funny, if you search on my posts, you'll find me crying that it's the end of Limited in any other form and my fear that it will be the only platform, making everything else garbage, bigger than a caliber change allowing 9mm major in Limited, blah blah blah.

Since then I've had three guns built and not one of them is this style (Sight tracker or Tru-sight). I don't think it makes much, if any real difference and I don't like the weight.

DP, that beautiful pistol that Vinny is building for you has the same lines as the Tru-Bore or what ever STI calls it. I like it and had thought about buying one (STI Tru-Bore). At the SHOT show two years ago I asked Dave Skinner what the expansion chamber did. He stated that it just really shot soft and the sight didn't move. He then turned me over to the Quality Control guy that shoots every pistol that goes out the door. He told me that the Edge shot softer and seemed to track better.

Back some years ago pin guns and IPSC guns both had that profile and I still think there sexy, but what do I know...I think Cindy Crawford is SEXY!

Buddy

I have seen and held and shot a trusight. But it is the only one I have ever seen. It felt okay but nothing outstanding. I know people have inquired about shortblock kit and have been told no. I have 2 sighttrackers and like them fine,but no more than a regular limited gun. They arent any heavier or lighter as the metal you lost on the slide you gained on the barrel. I dont feel any great difference in the tracking of the gun with the same load they shoot about the same. 1 of our local shooters whose opinion I value has had both and decided to stay with the standard short dustcover limited gun, in fqct he would go a little lighter if he could. I think the jury is still out on the 6" guns, I know that Rob and Todd are shooting them at the nationals but at the NC Sectional Todd was back to the 5" gun. I dont know that 1 design has it head and shoulders above the others but the 5" guns have been around a long time and every new fad that comes out is supposedly the demise of the 5", and after a year or so the 5 is back where it was.

• 4 weeks later...

Hands down the sight tracker is the best preforming limited gun I've ever shot! You can get one made at any weight as well so if you want a light pistol you can get one that is titanium or aluminum. 30oz to 52 oz pistol... how ever you want it and the accuracy of these barrels are awesome! I run one that is 52oz 4oz more than the one that I had at the nats and I love it!

DvC,

Chris Tilley

52 ozs.! Wow...I had no idea that anyone would shoot something that heavy except in Bulls-eye or PPC. What length gun is this and what do you see as the advantages?

I am having a STI six-inch built (my son's 6" {slim fast} should be ready any day) and I was going to have mucho metal removed. My 6" Les Baer seems too heavy compared to the 4 1/4" and 5" Baers. Am I missing something?

Thanks, Buddy

Kinda reminds me of how the Beretta Neos works...the front and rear sights do not move when you shoot, the bottom half of the slide does. Kinda neat, but the S_I pistols are out of my range for now. I have a few that serve me just fine for now.

I have a Tru-sight it's fine but no different than any other 2011. I'm a little confused about people talking about it being heavy. It's 36.3 ounces my single stack is 37. It isn't a heavy gun. My only problem with it is now that bullets have gone through the roof I want to use lead for practice and that is not practical with the trusight there is no way to clean the expansion chamber. So I picked up a used 6" gun and I am using it now.

All this talk about gun weight. It seems only months ago that everybody wanted a heavy limited gun, guys were looking for steel and tungsten magwells and steel mainspring housings to add as much weight as possible. Now everybodys talking about feather weight 6" guns.

I got into this type of thing with the short open guns and built a cammander lenght with a Ti comp and it was light and, for me, horrible. Went back the tried and true 5" steel comp gun and did much better. I think I'll sit this one out.

All this talk about gun weight. It seems only months ago that everybody wanted a heavy limited gun, guys were looking for steel and tungsten magwells and steel mainspring housings to add as much weight as possible. Now everybodys talking about feather weight 6" guns.

I got into this type of thing with the short open guns and built a cammander lenght with a Ti comp and it was light and, for me, horrible. Went back the tried and true 5" steel comp gun and did much better. I think I'll sit this one out.

It's all about new shoes, man...new shoes. :goof::lol::wacko: