Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson ICE

pevadijk

A friend of mine bought a ICE magwell for his Glock, a few months ago. BUt he had to modify the frame a little to make it fit, is that normal?

BTW, how does the SJC magwell compare to the Dawson unit?

I have tried both & I didn't like the fact that I was going to have to modify my frame to get the Dawson to fit right. I went with the SJC and never looked back!

I have heard that both Taylor Freelance and Arredondo work fine. The Dawson Ice is a good magwell, but needed a little modding to fit (modified the magwell and NOW my Glock). One thing that I didn't like, besides that, was that the brass plug changed the dimensions of the Glocks frame, and some mags tended to stick instead of drop free.

Chris is a great guy........and it seems that he doens't use international shipping as a way of making some extra money! Sometimes I have to pay huge amounts to get anything to Europe and that sucks!

And others simply refuse to ship anything..........

The SJC seems a little TOO big for my tastes. If your mags are sticking (not dropping free) in a Glock .... you (or your mags) are doing something wrong.

I had a Dawson ICE magwell on my Glock and NEVER had a problem with it. IMO it's the ONLY magwell to run on a Glock. How could you miss that GIANT size hole ? And the nylon liner is slick as cat-snot! Replaceable too!

Cant beat it with a stick. B)

I have used both Dawson ice and the SJC. Do not rember mod to frame to get the Dawson to fit. I think both are great mag wells but my vote goes to the SJC. I really like the way it pushes your grip up high, and reloads are very fast and easy to hit.

A friend of mine bought a ICE magwell for his Glock, a few months ago. BUt he had to modify the frame a little to make it fit, is that normal?

BTW, how does the SJC magwell compare to the Dawson unit?

I have tried both & I didn't like the fact that I was going to have to modify my frame to get the Dawson to fit right. I went with the SJC and never looked back!

Do the Dawson base pads work with the SJC?

pat

• 1 month later...

i had to mod the ICE insert slightly to be happy with the magazine seating. i trimmed the 2 tabs on each side of the brass insert, which wasnt necessary really, but it seemed to smooth out the well a bit more. i also bought a countersunk screw for the brass insert, and flushed it in the grip....the screw supplied stuck out and that just bothered me.

those "tabs"(in the plug zone) , i was told, are only in newer frames. they have something to do with the locking system now available. i personally used a .223 case as my rasp to mill those suckers down. my ice performs as expected.