Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

Ah, another closet reloader! Check back into the very early portions of this thread for photos of my closet setup AND another member's closet setup photos as well. I had mine built into the corner walls in a standing-up-to-reload configuration, but it all unbolts if relocating it is ultimately called for. Jut screwed it to the studs in the walls. Super solid. B)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the only guy in my area that owns a chrono and no reloading equipment. 42 year old first time father (w/22 mos old daughter and another on the way). Anyway, I have a shop/bullet maker 5 minutes from my house - I can use his lead bullets or supply my own (I like his .40 SW 180 grainer otherwise I supply the 147 gr. jacketed hornady bullets and the starline brass for my production 9mm), So I give him my loading recipe, wait about 2 weeks, then chrono and shoot. I really do want to start loading myself but no time (and no space - I had to negotiate with my wife for 2 weeks just to put my Liberty Safe in the utility room - small house).

Current favorites:

9mm: 3.3 gr TG w/Hornady's 147 gr. jacketed round nose.

40 SW: 4.8 gr WST w/the above 180 gr Lead flat nose.

Sorry no photo.

Jon

:(

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share my reloading bench and XL650. I recently moved to Austin TX from CA (woo hoo!). Here's the Dillon at the old house...

Dillon%20650%2002.jpg

And here's the bench and Dillon at the new house. I was pleased enough with the design of the old bench that I made the exact same one at the new place, just added drawers this time. I also wired an outlet in the ceiling right above the Dillon so I could plug in my casefeeder directly overhead to keep the cord out of the way. B)

The frame is attached to a 2x6 that is lag-bolted to the studs in the wall. The two supports are also bolted to the wall and the whole thing is held together with a 3/4" MDF surface. It's VERY sturdy!

01Frame.jpg

02DrawerInstalled.jpg

03Completedbench.jpg

Dillon_650.jpg

I've yet to reload any ammo since we arrived three months ago, but at least it's ready to go. Still need to get some shelves in as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, here's mine.

Bench.JPG

>HERE'S< a drawing, with dimensions and a materials list, for the bench. $84 is what the material costs from Home Depot and the only tools you need are a drill and a Skill Saw. It’s so rigid (being lagged to the wall) that, when you really reef, the only thing that will flex is the Strong Mount!

tumblerbench2.JPG

This is what I built from the leftover pieces from the bench. It’s on casters so I can roll it around and get it out of the way or even roll it outside when the weather’s nice. One of these days I’ll add a couple of shelves to make it even handier.

Guess what I got for Christmas. That's right, a digital camera!

Ed

I was looking all over for this thread and finally realized someone tacked it up top.

Forensics Doc -

Sorry it took so long to answer. The bench was something my dad's neighbor won and my dad bought it and gave it to me for my birthday.

It's a Gladiator Garage Works 6 Ft. Modular Workbench, with the Modular GearBox. The web site is www.gladiatorgw.com. Nice bench, I almost didn't want to drill holes in the top.

Gladiator Garage Works is owned by Whirlpool and is some good stuff, very heavyduty.

Man did I ever get a lot of crap for having carpet and a TV. The carpet is no big deal, I have a vacuum just for that room, and it's an old Rainbow with the watertank for the crap to go into. I am far to cheap to get rid of the carpet and put in laminate. The only other place was in the garage, but I live in South Dakota and it gets cold here.

The TV is really no big deal for me, I have it on for background noise. I am a police officer and all night long, over the radio I hear constant noise. If I came home and tried to reload without something in the back ground I would go nuts. So far I have loaded exactly 15,550 rounds in various calibers and never had a problem.

I have my Dillon 550b now but, I haven't even had time to take it out of the box. But I am getting a Ruger Blackhawk in two days and have to load up a bunch of .45 Colt so I may have to set it up tomorrow.

Jonathan

I finally finished my reloading bench. I built it with 2x6 for the frames, 3/4 mdf top, and 1/4 luan for the sides and top. I stained and finished with polycrylic (satin) to make it look good and keep lead from getting into the wood top.

The two Lee presses are mounted for my accurate rifle reloading work. The middle is saved to mount my 550 when it gets in from BE.

Thanks to all who gave advice.

D

photo001.jpg

photo002.jpg

Here's my setup in the basement. I just recently got into pistols, so nothing blue yet. I'm still on the single stage RCBS Rockchucker. I've been reloading shotshell and rifle cartridges for quite a while. I'll probably buy a Dillon rig down the road, but the single stage is good enough for now.

post-45-1107327476_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flexmoney

Reloading_room.jpg

Although not the neatest and hopefully soon not even my reloading room (the house is for sale, so the presses will be relocated).

The 1050 center is set up for 9mm, the 650 right is for .223, and the Green stuff on the left is for all other rifle rounds, .308, 30-06, and 35 Remington

• 2 weeks later...

I am new here and have been reading until I think my eyes are bleeding! :o So much to read and so little time. :blink: Thought I show my gun room off. The first picture is of my Browning safe door from the outside of my room. The rest are inside the room. It is 12'x26' and has 4 inches of concrete on top of the room. There is heat ducts and a cold air return that have fire dampers on them. There is a drain in the floor that I have a dehumidifer draining into during the summer. So far no moisture problems. :D

Steve

Clean.jpg