Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG 121's

Big Guy

I recently changed from the 124 MG to the 121MG and have been satisfied. Accuracy is still as good as it was with the 124 and I get a few more per box than with the 124. I have shot the MG bullets in both 9mm and 40 and have always been happy with the performance, but lately have not been happy with the price.(not that they are the sole reason that bullets are as expensive as they are)

ordered some 121's a few weeks ago, and have had good luck with them. I was shooting zero 125's for years, but with delivery problems switched and am planning on sticking with them. Took about .3 grains more powder to get same PF.

Edited by markm

<_< Im in to my 4th box ... 3900 per box I like them. I like the bulk order price with the shipping included. If they did not hold a good group I would not bother with them at most any price. In Benny Hill's gun they will shoot under 2" at 35 and 45 yards off a rest. If they cost 25% more they would still be good. I dont get bad splater off the steel too.

121 IPF has a base that is coper so the lead smoke is next to none. To be fair I have not shot allot of 124 or 125s, I do shoot alot of steel with a lighter bullet /=minor load . the 121 does not feal much dif and compairing spits and transititon times it is with in .02 -.04 to being the same as my steel load.

121 MG IFP with 7.4 IMR 7625 makes 1380 fps in mm gun.

• 2 weeks later...
In case anyone's wondering, I've weighed a bunch of these and most are 120.6 or 120.7gr. Out of ten I weighed, only two were actually 121 or more (that one was 121.2gr.

This has been my experience as well.

-Chet

As for the .3-.4 reduction in weight, if you're runnin' that close to PF then well...probably deserve to make minor

Agreed

BUT

Never struck them going under weight in either Zero or MG when I have used the 121gr. But I have not had 121gr MG for a long time as I switched to 125gr Zero bacause my gun had a specific prefference for them.

My understanding is that even if you are well over major, if (in IPSC Open Class) your projectile is less than 121.0grains, ie 120.99999 or less, then you are minor in any event.

If you specifically require 121gr or more then I suggest you contact MG and ask why they are less than advertised. I understand some tolerance is allowed in manufacturing but I suspect IPSC is not that benevolent.

Does USPSA still allow 115gr at major???

As for the .3-.4 reduction in weight, if you're runnin' that close to PF then well...probably deserve to make minor

Agreed

BUT

Never struck them going under weight in either Zero or MG when I have used the 121gr. But I have not had 121gr MG for a long time as I switched to 125gr Zero bacause my gun had a specific prefference for them.

My understanding is that even if you are well over major, if (in IPSC Open Class) your projectile is less than 121.0grains, ie 120.99999 or less, then you are minor in any event.

If you specifically require 121gr or more then I suggest you contact MG and ask why they are less than advertised. I understand some tolerance is allowed in manufacturing but I suspect IPSC is not that benevolent.

Does USPSA still allow 115gr at major???

I just re-checked the rules and for IPSC Open Major, it says minimum bullet weight is 120gr. I think that's probably why the planned on 121gr...to give a little error factor. I didn't weigh any that were less than 120.6 that I recall....most were right at 120.6 or 120.7gr.

Tried them last winter, they seem to be on the light side of the advertised 121gr, while the 124 jhp sem to be on the heavier side of it.....they were accurate but I couldn't find a reason to switch from the 124 jhp (MG) which are very very accurate at longer distances. Also didn't like the lead exposure on the tip....

Edited by dansy

Actually if you shoot Open in IPSC within Canada you can still shoot 112 gr bullets versus the 120gr......we have rules exemptions for the guy's that shoot in both Canada and the State, so they don't have to constantly change there load.