Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going backpacking in bear country

apriav

For about 1200 buy a desert eagle in 440 corbon, use a 240 fmj they should be going about 1750+ if I remember right, thats the 7+1 I'd like to carry if your talking grizzly or better. If your talking AZ size black bear, take the 45, should be enough with 230 FMJ. hard hitting penetration is what you want, Oh yeah, practice reloading while moving, could be pertinant. Wouldn't worry too much about it though.

Jason

For about 1200 buy a desert eagle in 440 corbon, use a 240 fmj they should be going about 1750+ if I remember right, thats the 7+1 I'd like to carry if your talking grizzly or better. If your talking AZ size black bear, take the 45, should be enough with 230 FMJ. hard hitting penetration is what you want, Oh yeah, practice reloading while moving, could be pertinant. Wouldn't worry too much about it though.

Jason

Have you ever carried a desert eagle, they weigh a metric ton not to mention that you cant shoot real hot loads or lead in them because they are gas operated and they don't function to well with either.

Edited by boynty77

So this guy decides to go bear hunting, he drives over to the local gunshop and tells the guy at the counter that he wants a good pistol for bear. The dealer shows him a .357 and says this will do fine. The new hunter takes his 'bear gun' and goes out hunting. Soon he comes across a large bear. The hunter lines up and cracks off a shot. The bear turns runs at the hunter, who empties the gun at it, and when it reaches him, bends him over a stump and buggers him.

The hunter, now a little ticked off goes back to the gun store and demnands a bigger gun. the dealer shows him a .454 and says this one should take care of anything the other one couldn't handle. Happy now, the hunter returns to the field. Shortly he comes across the same bear. Lining up carefully the hunter fires, the bear turns and charges him. Again the hunter empties the gun, and again when the bear reches him, bend him over a stump and has his way with him.

Now quite mad the hunter runs back to the store. "I want the biggest damn cannon you have!" he exclaims. The guy behind the counter goes back in the shop and comes out with a box. "Here, we just got this in, it's a .500 S&W X frame revolver and should take anything on the continent."

The hunter, now a bit happier returns to his hunting grounds. Soon he sees the bear. With a focus brought on by adrenalin, anger and some fear. He lines up the shot "BOOM!!" The bear turns and begins to run, once again firing everything at the bear to no avail. When the bear get to him he turn him around, bends him over and says, "You're not here for the hunting are you?"

Don't use hollow points on a fall bear. Fat will break up the bullet before it does any good. The .45 with hot 230 grain round nose would be best. Don't believe that a hand gun is no use. Keep your wits about you and you can save yourself from an attack.

Back to your original question. I would take the 45 with 250 SWC's loaded over a max charge of Unique. It may not be the ultimate bear stopper, but between the two choices you have this is the path I would take.

+1 on that advice.

burntcrispy: I have to agree with you on that one. 360 gr. @1150 f.p.s. = 1057 f.p.e. or 414 PF :surprise:

Doc.

get a ruger blackhawk in 45LC with a 4 5/8 barrel. Makes it real easy to carry. 325gr LBT hardcast bullets with 21.5gr hodgon Lil'gun. You wont have to use magnum primers with this powder. Or 300gr speer gold dot that they make for the 454 casuall with the same power charge. You can also buy the shot shell capsules from speer and keep a couple of cylinders loaded in case you run into any snakes.

may actual in the wood gun is a 625 mountain gun. and I carry the 300gr GDHP loaded with 17.5gr of lil'gun, it comes out at 1000fps. You can buy two blackhawks for the price of the S&W

I have a friend that carries a five shot .22.

Sez it's for the other guys knee cap.

I don't hang around him much nowadays.

I carry a 45 for black bears.

I'ved seen you run. I'll go hunting with you in bear country any time. :lol:

As for the original question: borrow a revolver from someone and leave both of those at home. Don't take anything that will shoot under 44 mag power. If you cannot penetrate the scull, neck and shoulder with stopping power, you are just making loud noise and pissing them off. Most Alaskin guides use 12 gauge slugs or a carbine lever action in 450 marlin or 45-70. Handguns by their very nature are underpowered.

As for bear spray, it's effective, but if you use it get out of the area. Don't hang around. The bear will come back to that area. Just like a bear getting sprayed by a skunk, they come back to roll in the smell. They do this to cover up their own scent. Nothing like having to deal with the bear a second time.

<_< We went hiking =Back country hiking in Glacier Park after nationals. One day I went by me self for 14 miles and made very Little noise. :unsure: I wish I had seen a Bear.

<_< As for the Black Bear in Colorado <_< I said ...HI to one and it turned and ran

Edited by AlamoShooter

Many moons ago the dad of a buddy of mine tried to convince me to take the bow out bear hunting with them down in the WV Appalachian's. I couldn't be convinced of the merits of flinging sticks at a black bear at less than 50 yards.... :blink: Especially since state law at the time said you couldn't carry a backup weapon while bow hunting. Maybe I'm a wuss but I want something with a little more punch....

Many moons ago the dad of a buddy of mine tried to convince me to take the bow out bear hunting with them down in the WV Appalachian's. I couldn't be convinced of the merits of flinging sticks at a black bear at less than 50 yards.... :blink: Especially since state law at the time said you couldn't carry a backup weapon while bow hunting. Maybe I'm a wuss but I want something with a little more punch....

Your are a wuss.........:goof:..........scared of your own magazine. You had to fling it completely away from you during the WPA Sectional on Stage 7. :goof: