Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Advice Needed...

D. Manley

I'm seriously mulling over getting back into reloading after several years absence. With loaded ammunition prices rising substantially, shooting more and, adding a .45 to the stable, reloading is again becoming attractive. I should mention that while I don't particularly "enjoy" reloading, I don't mind it either. I'd appreciate a little advice and thoughts from those more familiar with today's choices of hardware. For reference, my previous setup was a simple, single-stage (Pacific) press. It was quite adequate for the amount of ammunition I used at the time but my present needs would be (minimally) 800 to 1,000 rounds per month in both 9MM and .45 ACP. For this quantity, I'm leaning toward progressive machines specifically the 550/650 Dillon although I have considered the Hornady LNL-AP.

Any advise would be appreciated but I'd specifically be interested if there are other, significant differences between the Dillon 550 & 650 other than, the additional station and auto-indexing. I'm aware Brian advises against the 650 as "1st machine" and not to consider it minus the case loader. While I certainly would not discount his advice I must say, auto indexing does appeal to me as a bit of a safety feature especially when ran with the powder check die. Which brings me to another point...am I correct that there's no practical way to run a powder-check | powder-cop die on a 550 and still seat & crimp in separate operations?

The Hornady LNL-AP seems to be a nice press but due to its quirky nature (especially ejecting 9MM using the Lee FCD) I've about decided to go blue. Bottom line, I need to decide between the 550 & 650. Quite frankly, I need a lot of other, newer stuff as well and I'm considering one of Brian's "Easy Buy" packages with the 550 switched out for the 650. Any thoughts appreciated.

I cant comment on the 650 or the LNL, but I have the 550 and love it to death.

No you cannot use the powder check die on the 550. First stage is re-size and deprime, second it powder drop and bell the case, third is seating and fourth is crimping. Only way to really do it would be to get a Lee die and crimp and seat at once. I advise against this as your ammo will not come out as accurate in that the OAL will be on and off. One of the big reasons people prefer the dillon seat and crimp in different stages. This is why Lee Precision did this.

I think, in my humble opinion, the auto indexing thing is way to over rated. I dont see how much faster I could be by having an auto indexing on my 550.

g10

I use a 650, I don't think I would even consider a 550 now. Everything a 550 can do a 650 can do better and faster, if time is important get a 650 with the KISS, I think you can load 1000 rounds in about 2hours or less, that from what I hear, I don't have a KISS, I've been spending all my $ on guns and ammo. Maybe check out the Lee loaders a friend of mine has one and it seems to work fine for him, some features are even better that a dillon, I know "blasphemy", right? I'm just saying look at all your options.

I thought I heard about someone using a powder check with a 550, please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Anyway, of the choice, go for the 650, and definately the case feeder, I don't even know why dillon sells them without it.

Jason

I use a 650, I don't think I would even consider a 550 now. Everything a 550 can do a 650 can do better and faster, if time is important get a 650 with the KISS, I think you can load 1000 rounds in about 2hours or less, that from what I hear, I don't have a KISS, I've been spending all my $ on guns and ammo. Maybe check out the Lee loaders a friend of mine has one and it seems to work fine for him, some features are even better that a dillon, I know "blasphemy", right? I'm just saying look at all your options.

I thought I heard about someone using a powder check with a 550, please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Anyway, of the choice, go for the 650, and definately the case feeder, I don't even know why dillon sells them without it.

Jason

Doesnt KISS make the bullet feeder for the 550?

g10

I agree with shooting for M-the 650 is faster and requires less operator intervention. I break it down to people mulling over a 550 or 650 this way. Take the difference in price between the two presses and divide it over the number of hours you will spend reloading. The number is inconsequential. Not that the 550 is a bad machine, just the 650 is more efficient.

my two pennies...................

Why do you feel that the 650 is OK? I have a 650 now, but loaded on a 550 for a while, and I feel that the 650 is far better for volume reloading. Given the choice I do not see why you would pick the 550 unless you did small batches for benchrest shooting or something similar. I am curious as to your opinion.

Edited by tx911

Get two Square Deal Bs. One for large and one for small. If you don't want to do that. Get the 550 or the 1050. 550 is more versatile than any other loader. 1050 is the king daddy of all. The 650...is OK.

IMHO - as someone who has all of them.

Does the 1050 Have the same "no BS warranty" as the other? I was thinking it only has a one year or so.

Both the 550 and 650 are great but a am a person of simplicity. I sold every pistol that was not a 45 or 9mm and bought a Square Deal B in both calibers. They work great and auto index. The only draw back for is no case feeder :(

But they work and it's great not to have to change from small to large. I still have a 550 and still use it from time to time for my 223 plinking loads and stuff. For progressive loading The Blue is the only way to go! :cheers:

Jason

g10

No

550 is easier, more basic, good starter machine. 650 is a little more complex, more things to go wrong or break but can do more faster. When you bought your last car did you have to have a six CD changer and leather seats or was a single CD player and cloth seats OK. Don't even think of doing anything but Blue.

PS if you would have done a search of 550 vs 650 you would have had more data than you could digest.

To my original question, are there are other, significant differences between the 550 & 650 other than the additional station and auto-indexing or, is that about it?

The big ones are the 650 has an extra station and auto index. With you now able to get a case feeder for the 550 they seem to equal out in my eyes for number of rounds loaded out per hour. The 650 is a little harder to set up and get going(maybe that was just me) If two people were to set down one with a 550 and case feeder and one with a 650 and case feeder I do not think in the end there would be that much of a difference. Now if you had the KISS bullet feeder to the 650 I think is starts to look like a 650 show.

End the end the 550 is a great loader that works with a price of $340.00 with out a case feeder.

The 650 puts you up to $489.00 with out the case feeder.

If I had to put this in shooting terms I would say the 550 would go in limited class and the 650 would be pure open.

Hope this helps.

Patrick <_<

g10

No

Seating and crimping in the same station would allow you to use a KISS with a 550.

@ topic starter:

550 vs 650: With frequent caliber changes between LP and SP calibers and your estimated volume, I would say a 550 is the way to go. It is easier to change calibers on a 550 than a 650.

The LNL-AP has ejection issues with 9mm no matter what crimp die you use (although using an FCD adds to the challenge). I like the 550. It is better (IMO from a cost perspective) for loading several to many different calibers. The 650 could be a better choice if you only do 1 to a few different calibers (caliber conversions are more expensive than the 550).

The real question (in my experience) comes down to a casefeeder. If you know that you'll be buying a casefeeder, then get the 650. If no casefeeder, then the 550 is a very viable option. However, you seem focused on a "powder check" of some sort and auto indexing; just get the 650 and sleep better at night. I had the powder check dies, casefeeder, auto-indexing, 5 stations, etc. and left all of that and went back to a 550 for all loading with NO regrets.

I had a 550 and was happy with it for several years. Then the LNL-AP looked interesting as a "650 on the cheap", but the devil is in the details (especially loading 9mm) so I sold it and went back to a 550.

To my original question, are there are other, significant differences between the 550 & 650 other than the additional station and auto-indexing or, is that about it?

I was in the same predicament you're in a year ago and bought the 550. About 6 months later I bought a 650. I wouldn't under sell the auto-indexing. It makes a big difference to never have to take your hand off the handle. Just place the bullet and go makes is significantly faster and for me, more fun to reload. I don't have much free time and I'd rather spend it shooting than loading. I have both and haven't used my 550 since I got the 650, nor have I wanted to. The 550 I felt like I was always running on the edge of out of control and scared to death I'd forget to index it for some reason. The 650 is fun for me. The bullets come flying out and I'm not pushing any limits. Nor am I tired. That being said, the 550 is cheaper / easier to change calibers and works great, just slower and requires more energy. If you're not planing on doing any volume of shooting then the 550 is the way to go. I quickly outshot mine.

Now I didn't have a case feeder with the 550 so it's not really apples to apples but I always figured, why not buy the one that was designed to work with a case feeder in the first place?

Good luck!

John

A much better primer system on all of the other Dillon presses other than the 650. Read the hundreds of threads here on this Forum and note the problems encountered with presses. Primer problems are far and away the most common with the 650 and the most likely to cause foul language. :)

Again..just my .02.

I do not think you could go wrong with either. I have the 650 and love it. I average about a thousand rounds an hour without feeling like I am pushing it or anything. I agree with others the 650 should not be sold without a casefeeder. I have friends with the 550 and they love them. Dillon has wonderful customer support with any of their machines.

I had this same dilemma a couple of years ago. I loaded on a friend's 650 a couple of times, then ordered my own 650 instead of the 550. I got the full setup with the casefeeder, and was able to set everything up by myself (and I'm SO not mechanically-inclined), and haven't had any issues. Dillon support is excellent, even when you ask them dumb girl questions... :blush: I rarely switch calibers, and have never had to switch out to the large primer system, so that might be a pain. 650 with the casefeeder - it's calling your name!

550/650/1050

If you are not loading a lot, a 550 is OK. There is now a case feeder for this press if I am correct. The 650 is a great press and is extremely easy to change between calibers. It is arguably faster. You do need to "SEAT" your primers. If you miss a case, you will spit out a primer and this could be fixed with a better "Catcher"

If you were only going to load one caliber and a lot of that one, several thousnad a month, I would suggest a 1050, If you are looking at 1000 or so of two calibers each month, then I would go 650.

By way of validation, I have two 1050's and a 650. The 650 is no relegated to .45, 9mm, 38/357 and maybe .223. The 1050s are dedicated to .40 and .38super

Given the choice, I might, at this point set up enough tool heads to switch out a 1050 for all the rest of my loading and only keep the 650 around if I started to load .308

Jim

550 vs 650: With frequent caliber changes between LP and SP calibers and your estimated volume, I would say a 550 is the way to go. It is easier to change calibers on a 550 than a 650.

What makes changeovers easier on the 550? Provided you change toolheads w/dies, seems both are about the same...or, not?

I about drove myself to insanity with this same question a few weeks ago. I was really leaning toward the 650, but I plan on loading and switching back and forth between 3 calibers so I went with the 550.The 550EZ Buy Package Brian offers on this website is the way to go in my opinion. I'm like Merlin, get the 550 and then if you are really going to reload in mass in one caliber go all the way with the 1050.

You can't go wrong with either machine.

What makes changeovers easier on the 550? Provided you change toolheads w/dies, seems both are about the same...or, not?

I would say it is a bit more hassle to change and adjust the primer feed system on a 650 than a 550. Others may disagree with me. And of course it depends on wether you have a casefeeder on the 550 or not. Changing between 9mm and .45 requires conversion of the casefeeder as well (casefeeder plate, adapter). OTOH, you'll spend less time reloading (and just a bit more time converting).

Go with the one you want most. I considered the 650, but went with the super 1050. I had no good arguments for spending the extra cash, I just wanted it badly :lol: ...

Either way you cant go wrong.

Edited by Ameiza