Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sure fire way to insure your best accuracy

GentlemanJim

I have been struggleing with my accuracy lately :mellow: no matter how hard I tried to maintain sight control.

My hits were getting worse and worse :angry2: at RM3gun I had REAL problems hitting a plate at 50yds. :blink:

It seemed as if the harder I tried ...the worse it got...I could not hit the side of a barn.!!!!

In total disgust I started thinking my barrel must be getting worn out.

Sooo yesterday I sat on the bench to see what kind of group I could shoot :blink:

Well it wasnt too good but ok i guess ...about 3 inches at 25yds.

The only real problem I found ....the group was about 20 inches low and 10 inches to the right :surprise:

My lightning fast mind has determined that accuracy seems somehow to be related to the gun being properly sighted it....sigh....

PS...I will be attending Kindergarten classes this week ..as I seem to have forgotten the basics....( insert hanging head in shame icon here)

Jim :(

Just think how bad you were really shooting to hit that plate :o

Well there is THAT :blink:

I watched the hits and moved sight picture down until I hit em :blink:

You would think that would have given me a CLUE!!!!! :surprise:

(insert Jim pouting icon here)

Jim,

That is classic. Better luck next time.

Perhaps Nanci "adjusted" your sights??? Didn't she say she was going to kick your butt shooting this year?

There you have it ... motive and opportunity!

YES she DID say that :surprise:

When she does whup up on me ...its fair and square...

That said....whats for dinner on a day I beat her...is always in question :blink:

Jim :goof:

Perhaps Nanci "adjusted" your sights??? Didn't she say she was going to kick your butt shooting this year?

There you have it ... motive and opportunity!

YES she DID say that :surprise:

When she does whup up on me ...its fair and square...

That said....whats for dinner on a day I beat her...is always in question :blink:

Jim :goof:

humble pie?

I was just talking to somebody last night who said they took their single-stack gun and sighted it in at 50 yards (just for fun) and found the grouping to be tight, but it was slightly off (about 4 inches) to the right. So after sighting it in at 50 yards I wonder how much more accurate you could be at 15 ~ 20 yards ? ;)

In my case the close shots were not realy a problem...shooting as low as it was...the actual zero was at about 3yds.

I described the error incorrectly in my first post ..to hit your POA you had to shoot 20 low and about 10 right.

So in a match...on longer targets and upper a zone shots i was just killing the berm.

As we shoot close stuff so much more than long range I just assumed my misses were just my poor shooting.

After spending sooo much time on our rifles to insure precise sight in and zero...It is QUITE embarasing to have not done the same with the pistol.

In my case when problems arise ...they often have a root cause in something basic that I have over looked.

On the UP side of this ....now I will look forward to long range targets instead of dreading them!

Just wanted to share my silly problem :goof:

Jim

I'm the exact opposite -- I'm constantly rechecking the zero on my pistols after matches...Convinced the sights have been bumped or somehow moved, which would've caused all those extra shots on steel. Yet when I check 'em in an indoor range, they're dead-on. Odd as hell. :unsure:

JG,

I am relatively new to shooting.

my pistol was was shooting low and right.

I asked the gunsmith at the range to adjust them

which he did. He knew I was very new then, and he suggested lessons. <_<

I thought it was me for a darned long time before I asked for that adjustment.

'cause I knew I was going to hear that...

Have some faith in your abilities. When you have questions...

Go LOOK for the Correct Answer!!!!!

As far as you are along in the 'game', you know how to find them.

An aside, Iffn I had the access to your guns,

and was inclined to tinker with your outlook,

I'd have adjusted them slowly over a few months....

which is what shooting does to sights! hohohohohoho

miranda

I feel your pain, I've been shooting like crap the last couple of weeks, kept adj. the sights to where I thought I was hitting

till I ran out of adj. So I figure I better start shooting groups off a bag to see if I was capable of doing that still,

I had to put the sights back to the original position, nothing wrong with the gun, just the operator.

now i remember why i chose that avatar :blink:

LOL, I can't pick on you Jim. I have had similar issues myself. About two months ago I went to shoot my Open gun at 50 yards and got 3 out of 10 in the top right corner of the head, picked a clump of grass down to the left and put a 3" group on the target. Then my dot module puked, put the dot in from my back up scope, adjusted it, and went on. Open guns need a lot of maintenance, and I just don't do enough of it.......

I think improvement tends come in peaks and troughs for a lot of people and sometimes you need to have the rain before the sunshine.

I always return to the fundamentals when I have a problem and have spent many a practice reverting to nothing but shooting groups cause that's what I needed to do and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Another sure fire way to improve accuracy:

Recently, I have found that beyond 10 yds I couldn't hit squat. I was having bullets tumble at 10 yards and the plate rack @25 yds didn't have anything to worry about with me driving the revolver.

I got frustrated, threw the wheelgun in the safe, and actually started playing with a bottom feeder for a while, because I just knew it was something I was doing. You know, lousy trigger control or some such. Then I talked to Hopalong and a couple of others and decided to rework the crimp on my bullets like they told me too.

You know, it's just incredible how accurate .45s can be when you're not crimping the s*** out of them. :blush:

Now it's back to the wheelgun. :D

• 2 weeks later...
LOL, I can't pick on you Jim. I have had similar issues myself. About two months ago I went to shoot my Open gun at 50 yards and got 3 out of 10 in the top right corner of the head, picked a clump of grass down to the left and put a 3" group on the target. Then my dot module puked, put the dot in from my back up scope, adjusted it, and went on. Open guns need a lot of maintenance, and I just don't do enough of it.......

Very similar to the problem I had with my open gun.....only I am using a JPoint sight on a Glock (slide mounted). Never needed a single adjustment for almost 5 years. Sights were always dead on when checking them. Suddenly, I am hitting to high and right at a local match. I adjust the sights between stages, gun shoots OK for one stage and goes high by 4-6 inches by the next stage. Turns out that the height adjustment screw on the JPoint was getting loose after 5 years (10k+ rounds) of riding the slide. JPoint has no locking screw for the adjustments so I simply put some loctite on the screw once I sighted it in and the problem has not occured since.