Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Rocky Mountain 3-Gun - September 4-6

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just got home and JJ's about 2 hours behind. We had a lot to put away!

But...

Top Open - Matt Burkett, with Don Bednorz right at his heels

Top Tactical Scope - (drum roll) Daniel Horner, but Kelly Neal gave it a great try!

Top Tactical Iron - Robby Johnson

Top He-Man Scope - Tate Moots

Top He-Man Iron - Kuan Watson

Top Lady Open - Annette Williamson

Top Lady Tactical Scope - Vicki Carlton

The results by division and then dumped together for raw overall will be posted on the website...but...it will take a bit. Our amazing stats man, Roger Briden is heading to pistol Nationals!

We wanted to thank everyone for coming! I think it went pretty well!

Remember to thank the sponsors who were exceedingly generous!

Special thanks to :cheers:

Our wonderful JP Enterprises(match sponsor), Sabre Defence (Platinum Sponsor), Trijicon (Junior Benefit, Shooter's BBQ sponsor and Gold Sponsor), and Nordic Components and LaRue Tactical(Both Gold Sponsors). Special thanks to Nordic and Burris for the fabulous AR-22 with scope for JJ!!! (Who, I neglected to say at awards again, is the BEST Match Master ever!!) :cheers:

Thanks also to: Arredondo, Benchmade, Berger Bullets, BlackHawk, Brownell's(Bronze and RO sponsor), Matt Burkett videos, Burris(Bronze), Bushmaster(Bronze), Cabelas, Camelbak, Cavalry Arms, Clark Custom Guns, CPWSA, Dave's Metal Works, Dillon, DPMS(Bronze), Eagle, Entropy, ErgoGrips(Bronze), ESP, Flash Target, FMG, Glock, Grams Engineering, LensPen, LMS defense, Magpul, MGM, Militec, Montana Gold, MSTN, Otis, POF(Silver), PointBlank(Bronze), Primary Weapons Systems, Progressive Machine and Tool, Redding, R&R, Rugged Gear, Safariland, Shooter's choice, Sierra, Spec Ops, Sportsman's Warehouse, Springer Precision, Springfield Armory, Starlight Cases, STI, TacPro(Silver), TechWear, Triangle Shooting Sports(Bronze), Truck Vault, Uniquetek, Viking Tactics, Warne Scope Mount, XS Sights!!!!!

What a great list of sponsors with fine products!!!!

Thanks to everyone who came out! To some of you, we're sorry you couldn't make it, but maybe next year!

Thanks to the generosity of the shooters, the JP Enterprises Rocky Mountain 3-Gun shooter's and staff donated about $1700 each to the AMU/MGM junior camp and Whittington Center's own Adventure Camp!!! You were all so very generous! :cheers: We won't even mention the "wall of shame!"

A special thanks to the Rocky Mountain 3-Gun staff 2008!! I don't know what to say! I get choked up when I think about it!

:bow::bow::bow:

Stats: Roger Briden and Kim West (10 minutes after the last score sheet came in, they were posting final printouts!) Wow!

FFL: Paul Arocha (First time out, we scared him a little, but he did a great job!)

Ro's: The Rio Salado Bowling Team: Mutha, Howard, ELF, Cooter, Larry, Pat, Rob, Hula Head? (I forget some of their...nicknames!) They came very prepared and made things go so smooth!

Other new RO: Megan Henthorn

Returning RO's: Matt Wilson, Sue McCrossin, Randy Pratt, Dave Mosier, Wayne Alcott (all the way from hurricane torn Mississippi!), Steve Hulet, the Minnesotans-Steve Shimek, George Bridenstine and also new to us Van Pacey

Our lunch deliverer/gopher/score sheet fetcher: George Murphy

The set up team/Ro's: Joe Otte, Mark Passamanek and Gary Monce

The best Range Masters ever: James and Adam Casanova

and of course: the Match Master: JJ Johnson!

Everyone did such an amazing job!

Thanks again!

Good night! :yawn:

Edited by Benelli Chick

Oh for pity's sake! I forgot again! I'm sorry, I'm so tired! :surprise::wacko:

Next year's JP Enterprise's Rocky Mountain 3-Gun will by August 6-8, 2009!

Schedulling with Whittington, which by the way, I forgot to say, is the best place to shoot, ever!!! :cheers: , is getting very tight! The staff there is being very supportive and helpful.

We're hoping to have more juniors next year!

By the way, Jake McDonald won a Sabre Defence rifle as top Junior!!! Way to go Jake!

Thanks again everyone!

Denise :wacko:

Great job Denise & JJ! :cheers:

I heard that Kurt Miller came in a close second in Tac Iron and Eric Miller came in third in Tac Scope. Very cool indeed!

Congratulations to all participants!

I am sorry I didn't make it this year, but for sure I will be there next August !

Edited by PacMan

I just got back a few hours ago from the match. Thank-you JJ, denise, and the whole staff for

an unbelievably awsome match !!! :cheers::cheers:

Thank-you to the generous sponsors for allowing this to happen !!! :cheers::cheers: I got a new toy !! :P

The match was a true rifleman's match like no other !! :wub: :wub: :bow::bow: I will try to be back every year from

now on. The facility is like a wild animal park, even had a black bear within 75yds of the car in broad daylight...

Had a great match, placed well, and got to meet some great folks from the forum. The strobe targets are excellent !!!

Also liked the surprise stage, I have shot several surprise stages before and they are always stressfull, this one was just

pure fun, everyone came out of that one with a big grin !! :D

Thank-you !!

Peter

My first big 3 gun match and I'm hooked!

B

BTW did anyone happen to find a CR speed belt with an AR mag pouch on it on Stage 6 (all rifle)? or at the stat shack parking lot? Mine seems to have disappeared after the last stage.

My first big 3 gun match and I'm hooked!

B

BTW did anyone happen to find a CR speed belt with an AR mag pouch on it on Stage 6 (all rifle)? or at the stat shack parking lot? Mine seems to have disappeared after the last stage.

Yes, I did see a belt that was left on stage 6 (fits that description)

We were the last squad to shoot that stage.

The RO (Dave M.) brought it to the Coors center...you could send Benelli Chick a PM for more info.

Wow :surprise: what a great match !

A big thanks to all involved in putting on this match :cheers:

The sponsors were very generous and continue to show the shooters just how much they appreciate their business.

To all the sponsors THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very well thought out stages, lots of fun.

Stage 2, was very busy and a good test of wing shooting and reloading, after the last 2 matches I've shot i think we can look forward to seeing more flying clays, these however were very doable for everyone. I have some ideas for my Shotgun match next year.

Stage 4 (i think) the star stage, what can i say I missed the plate with a shot charge but managed to center punch it with a freakin' slug...........Oh well. it may have cost me first place but at least i wasn't DQ'd. ( I think the adoption of this "new" idea would be a good thing), but you could also simply take care of the problem by placing a clay next to the slug target instead of a plate.

Stage 8, the "surprise" stage was quite fun and well run.

I am never disappointed shooting this match, i am aware of several new shooters that shot the match and it was their first "big" match, from talking with them, they seemed to be having a very good time, and looked forward to returning, for another go at it.

The use of the reduced size paper targets is a great way of making accuracy important again, and the "choice" targets were a very cool way of making people think of different ways to shoot a stage.

This is one of the few matches Scout gets to make anymore, simply because of too many people in the vehicle and no room for him. He had a great time with the other dogs and got to see some old friends, and make new ones. Although having to wear the ZAK t-shirt was probably a bit over the top.

See you all at the next one.............

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

I just got back home in Illinois (and it's cold and rainy here... really wanted to turn around on I-80 when I hit Iowa...) and it was definitely worth the drive out there. Many thanks to Denise, JJ, and the rest of the great staff, JP and all the sponsors, for such an incredible match! The local club matches are going to seem so... pedestrian after that.

I had a great time, even though I had some, er, "issues" with the long range rifle (I had the honor of being the only person to mike every target on stage one EXCEPT the 600 yard bonus, which I hit on the first shot with 5 seconds remaining... yes, I'm proud of my mediocrity). But now I've got something to work on for the next 11 months, 'cause I will definitely be back, and there's no way I'm gonna wimp out and put an optic on my FAL. I am on a mission.

It was awesome meeting so many great people, especially those who post here... "oh, so YOU'RE so-and-so! I know (of) you!" The three-gun crowd is just the best bunch of people one could ever hope to meet, and I really look forward to shooting with y'all again!

Congrat to all the winners, and to J.J. and Denise for another great match.

I too really enjoyed the rifle stages. (my favorites) Lots of shooting(if I didn't miss so much, I couldn't shoot as much :rolleyes: ), including three stages with 300-400+yd targets.

After reading about 2, I was concerned about the sporting clays aspect in a 3gun match, but figured, shotgun is part of 3gun, why not? The blend of birds and steel was great, and turned out to be one of my favorite stages. Loved it.

I worked a stage on Thursday and Saturday. Had a great partneer to RO with, and the squads were fantastic. 3gunners are the best folks around to work with. I got to watch some of the best shooters in the world shoot a stage, and had the honor of running Mr. Horner on 6 when he make that 77.? second run. WOW!

Thanks to JP, Nordic, Sabre, and all the other sponsors. Without them putting out the $$$$, this match would not come close to what it is.

Thanks to all, shooters, ROs, staff, and sponsors for making this old man from Mississippi feel so welcome.

Looking forward to next year's match.

My hat's off to JJ and Denise!!! Another great match. Excellent COF's not impossible, but challenging. The rifle COF's were assume, even if you had a pet '0', you needed to fudge that a little bit due the angles that you shot at.

This ole' boy from Minnesota, who only shoots out to 100yds and sights in at 50yds didn't really have much problem hitting those long distance targets...I did just as good as Daniel Horner, only slower.

Definatley a 'go too' match and if you've not shot a match in natural terrain, you are going to want to put this one on your calendar for next year. You will NOT be disapointed.

It seemed that everything was run on time, or with very little delay....even the awards ceremony was spot on!! Got kinda scary when we did'nt see the caterer for the dinner at 5:25pm, but I believe the first person was served like 7 minutes later!!! those guys hustled when they got there and the food was great.

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere.....the people that shot the RM3g raised about $1700.00 for the NRA kids program and another $1700.00 for the AMU junior camp. Now THAT is something to be proud of!! I believe Trapr (and a few others) donated the majority of that thru shotgun shooting. :lol:

Funny thing, I don't see any comments about the 500 and 600 yard targets... :surprise:

Were they THAT easy???

jj

Funny story...I was hanging out on the stage with the 500 yard target with the Sabre Defence guys. I asked them if they knew the drop of .223 at 500 yards, they didn't so they called the factory and had one of the engineers run a ballistics table for me. He told me the drop was 50". My CQT's dot is 3 MOA, so 15" at 500 yards. I held 3 dots high and hit it on the first shot. Can't beat on the range tech support!

The 600 yard bonus, I hit in 4 shots...there was a lot more wind to deal with. I held 5 dots high and 1.5 dots to the right.

The flashing strobes when the targets were hit were awesome and provided immediate feedback to the shooter.

Tim, I told Denise that I'd donate a lot more if she would "lose" my additional 30secs. :roflol:

Its funny how when you don't want to deviate from your plan,........you do!!! but when its to your benefit to deviate you don't!!!

I just had my mind on my plan of hit plate THEN, slug target. I think the time on that stage was 104.88 secs, which without the 30 secs, made it 74.88. I know it was a good run for a pump, that 30 secs. just made all the difference, but I EARNED IT. :cheers:

Trapr

The match was a blast. Finally got to see a rattle snake, that was cool.

The long range rifle was a treat for someone who never gets a chance to shoot beyond 250 yrds. The targets used at the 500 and 600 yrds range were some sort of a strobe target. Strobes went off when you got a hit. That had to be the coolest target I have ever shot. I am hoping they don't try to make the targets or shots anymore difficult than what they had this year. They were difficult shots, but shots that most people could make if they followed basic marksmanship principles and knew their rifle zero ahead of time.

My favorite stages were the "surprise" stage at stage #8, then #1 the long range rifle, then stage #2 the shotgun stage. All the other stages were great stages also, I just liked these because they offered things I had never seen before.

The people at the NRA Whittington Center, the RO's, match staff, and even the people you run into at the town of "Raton" really help make this a "must attend match" for me.

The best thing about the match being moved a month earlier for next year, is that I only have to wait for eleven months for the match to come back around again. :cheers: